LegacyGT.com

Bargaining with the dealer: 08 vs 09 Spec B's

DavisTiger

08 Spec B vs 09 Spec B  

19 members have voted

1. 1. 08 Spec B vs 09 Spec B

• 2008 Spec B
    • 2009 Spec B

Okay so I am new to the whole dealer negotiation, since this will be the first BRAND NEW car I am purchasing. Any help would be appreciated!

I am currently about to purchase a 08 Spec B DGM. I am in Northern California and have talked the dealer to a price of $32,195. However, now I see that the 09 models have started shipping and I am really considering it. The Black color option is the most intriguing, the Harmon Kardon a second feature. I know I could get the car repainted and just buy the 08.

However talking with the dealer, gave me the idea that they will not reduce the price for the 08 even though the 09 is going to be the same price. I am currently qualified for 0% for 2 years and I plan on paying of the car in that time frame. However 0% vs 2.9%, for the features?

This is what the dealer said about the pricing for 09 vs 08

"You are correct, the car has not changed much for 2009 either. I haven't seen a 2009 Spec b yet, but if that is what you are looking for then I will keep my eye out for one for you. There isn't a rebate in the 2008, but the 2009 models are not eligible for special financing so you will not get the 0% that we have been discussing. No real price change for the 2008's as the 2009's are coming out, because as a dealership we still paid invoice for the car, and if the interest rate is not enough reason to go with a 2008 then you are probably better off getting a 2009."

That doesn't seem right to me at all. An 08 should not be the same price point as a 09 even if the dealer had to pay the same. That should be their fault for not being able sell the car.

Any opinions would be excellent and hopefully I will be able to buy a car this weekend ! :)

Seems like an easy decision to me.

Wait for the 09 unless there are some big incentives on the 08.

Don't be so impulsive on the purchase that you make a mistake. Same price between 08 and 09 at this point. Difference only in financing on 1 year newer car ....

I think it all depends on the inventory. The price won't drop unless they have far to many in the country. Make sure you're getting invoice for the '08. I think it's safe to say, you won't get invoice for the 09. Wait for the 09, if the changes are worth it in your mind. And won't the paint job cost more than the financing? Over a few months, it's worth getting what you want. I just picked up my 08 Diamond Gray GT w/ added sub under driver seat... It's kickin' enough for me not to wait for the 09. Good incentives too.

I know I could get the car repainted and just buy the 08.

Repainting it right requires pulling the doors off and stuff. Not trivial and not cheap.

Invoice on a 2008 Spec B was $31534.

Delivery was $645

Invoice price on options are generally 65% of list.

You can get 2% under invoice on a 2009 if you join a VIP program co-marketing partner and wait 6 months.

If they have a 2008 Spec.B chances are it's an OLD 2008 Spec.B. An offer at invoice would be a favor to them to take it off their hands.

yeah, when i bought my 05 in 04, the original price was like 29200, or something close. After about a week of bargaining, my dad got it down to 25850. Just dont let yourself seem like you really NEED the car. They need the business more than you need to car. WIth the economy the way it is, they are looking to make as much money as possible, even though they settle for much less because it is so difficult to find buyers. Keep trying, you will get your 09 with the 0%, or for less than the MSRP so the 2.9% will cancel out.

DavisTiger - I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I found an 08 spec b for 5K off of msrp. I really want a black one though...but i'm not exactly sure how much more an 09 would be...probably not 5K off msrp though. The 08 i've found has been on the lot for what appears to be a very long time(I'd guess november).

As far as painting it - I wouldn't recommend doing that. Better off waiting til 09 if you want black...which you could order an 09 right now.

wait until he takes delivery of the 09's and then rake him across the coals for the 08. He'll be motivated to get this dated stock off his lot, and you could end up with thousands off the sticker price.

i just bought my 08 legacy gt limited last month and i was basically in the same boat. here in new york you don't see too many legacys on the road but apparently they sell like hot cakes because there was not too many too choose from for me. the only option i was looking for was a GT w/ manual transmission and it was kinda hard to find one, but one was located for me from a not so far dealership. they did not wanna take much off the price becuase these cars sell themselves so i thought i should sping for the 2009 model. for the 2009 i was gonna have to pay msrp, take a higher apr, no rebates, and then wait for the car. i personally felt like the 2008 made more sense for me since there really wasn't much difference between the 08 and 09.

the speakers shouldn't sell you the car since factory speakers are never that impressive anyway. i've had factory bose, infinity, and pioneer systems and i replaced them all with aftermarket speakers since the stock systems were all less than satisfactory. the speakers in my 08 legacy do suck as well and i will be replacing them with Alpine type-x speakers.

for just a few bucks more i guess the 2009 is the way to go. you can make a factory order and choose you options instead of settling for a leftover. BTW there isn't much of a markdown on these cars so don't expect much flex in price.

This is the issue that I am dealing with. Like 1984trx200, I have managed to talk the dealers down almost 6k on MSRP on the 08 spec B and I don't think there will be anyway for me to negotiate an 09 to that price point in the next month. Which is when I plan on purchasing the car. I want it this weekend but i know "patience is a virtue" and all that crap ! :)

After a few test drives and can honestly say that DGM has grown on me, not that OBP, or whatever the 09 black is going to be called, wouldn't look good. But there are already soo many black sedans on the road a DGM might actually not blend into the crowd.

And Gullableone, like you said I could just take the saves over the price of the 09 as well as the difference between 0% and whatever the 09 would go for and get a nice system. I like the idea of this enclosure

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87893

So for now, :), I think the 08 spec B will be mine and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Wait and hold out for the best price. I've worked in a fair few and they need you more than you need them. If you are uneasy about negoitations, read "Buying a Used Car for Dummies." Even though it's a new car, it'll have advice on arguing the price down;)

I'd ask for a few more grand to come off the price of the 08, since that's what you'll lose in depreciation due to the MY and the nifty features of the 09. and if black is that important, skip to the 09 and don't shoot yourself in the foot dealing with bad paint shops that don't spray the door jams (and the skeptical people like me wondering why you repainted it when/if you resell in a few years).

wait till the 09 hits their dealership they might change their mind on not giving any incentives to get the 08 off the lot... and in terms of stereo aftermarket will always be better than any stock system

Just got an offer for an 08 Spec B with

1) Popular Equipment Group 1G

2) XM Satellite Radio

3) Splash Guards

4) Short Throw Shifter-6MT

5) Rear Dome/Reading Light

6) Rear Spoiler

7) Center Armrest Extension

For $31275, OTD that will be under $35K and I am happy with that. So hopefully this Saturday I will be returning home with my first new Subbie. Woot Woot !

For $31275

With those options, that's about halfway between VIP program and rock-bottom clearance, ie. good enough.

Popular Group 1G is, I think, the homelink mirror, shock sensor, and perhaps 1 other option, but . . . :iam:

the speakers shouldn't sell you the car since factory speakers are never that impressive anyway. i've had factory bose, infinity, and pioneer systems and i replaced them all with aftermarket speakers since the stock systems were all less than satisfactory. the speakers in my 08 legacy do suck as well and i will be replacing them with Alpine type-x speakers.

....not harmon kardon's. had them in my older 330i. amazing.

wait until he takes delivery of the 09's and then rake him across the coals for the 08. He'll be motivated to get this dated stock off his lot, and you could end up with thousands off the sticker price.

What he wrote = +1

buddy has a 330i with whatever comes in it i admit its the best stock system ive ever heard

yep. and if the msrp doesnt go up on the 2009 then its worth the wait.

also, if they wont go below msrp for 2009 just wait, dealerships lose money on cars that just sit there and waste space. Walk in and tell them, "hey, if you dont want to sell the car to me i can wait, im not losing money."

then they'll probably do one of 2 things, try to get rid of the 08 because who wants an 08 when there's an 09 and you can get the 08 for a few thousand less or get an 09 below msrp

also, if they wont go below msrp for 2009 just wait, dealerships lose money on cars that just sit there and waste space.

That's not quite true. The good dealerships with business models and thinking, yes, but I've worked at places that just buy crappy cars and wait. We had a Dodge Ram SRT-10 and several moving vans at the dealer I worked for from the day I started until I left 9 months later. Dealers buy cars, put them on the lot for the markup they want, and if they don't sell as quickly as they hoped, then it's back to the wholesale auction from whence they came where the dealer recoups their investment.

To be honest, dealers only lose money if they don't have inventory to sell. Or if they provide horrible service....

Go to the dealer and be ready to buy on the last day or next to the last day of the month. This mean be prepare and have all you info and title available if you're trading a car that's been paid off. If the sales rep or the dealer is a little short on sales for the month to hit a bonus they will be willing to negotiate a lot more.

Archived