LegacyGT.com

The 'My Mods Prevented Warranty Service' Thread

I'd be curious if anyone has a story with warranty service denied because of mods.

Aside from a few really old threads, I'd love to see some current experiences.

I am trying to wuss out or anything, I am just curious on other members experiences.

In many cases, they can tell that the vehicle has been altered. Many times the bolts are fresh and clean, or people forget to put them all back in and the dealer still catches it.

The last claim SOA declined for us(last summer), was one of our Nissan Techs(we are a Nissan/Kia/Subaru dealership) destroyed his tranny in his 05 WRX and claimed it was from normal driving. Yet he had the time slips in the car and dial in still on part of the windshield with aftermarket TBE and other mods. :lol:

I was more impressed that he had the balls to try and run it through his work to get it covered.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

My short shifter "caused" my entire shifter bezel to be crooked, even though it was like that from the day I got it (even when I didn't have a short shifter). Lesson learned? Yep, don't goto Bald Hill Subaru.

Also Anchor Subaru wasted 8 hours of my life, tons of lies, and $180 of my money on a simple fuel injector issue. Won't go back there again. Damn...I'm running out of dealerships in the area!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

"you have to much power that is why you stock rotors[with stock brake pads at the time] are warped"

"we will not resurface these under warranty"

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Sounds like you guys have some crappy dealers. My local dealer used to mod half of the WRXs they sold:lol:. When the motor in my wife's '97 OB went 2k miles after the warranty was up they replaced it anyway. She had complained about an odd bottom end noise a couple of times but the dealer couldn't find anything. When the motor went they fought with SOA to get it replaced. :spin:Before the WRX came out they had a customer with a '99 2.5 RS running a turbo kit at ~15 psi. When the tranny let go they replaced it under warranty:eek:. Unfortunately I think they may have had trouble with SOA because they'll still mod the cars but they're a little quieter about it now.

I have a slightly different story.

I was running Stage II for a month or 2. Brought the car in for wheel noise and dealer agreed to cover wheel bearing under warranty. No questions asked.

My short shifter "caused" my entire shifter bezel to be crooked, even though it was like that from the day I got it (even when I didn't have a short shifter). Lesson learned? Yep, don't goto Bald Hill Subaru.

I got the same thing from North End, but from the service advisor when I picked it up. The guy who was working when I dropped it off didn't give me any hassle...

If a dealer ever claims that a modification is what caused the problem. Ask them to explain IN WRITING exactly how it caused it.

I'm an installer and I get people all the time that have an issue with their car after we do an install. And of course we are always to blame, especially if it was installed then they had a problem immediately after. I understand where they are coming from, but we always tell them to take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

The dealer will always blame whatever was installed to avoid having to take care of it themselves or to work money out of someone, be it the customer or my shop.

I always tell them, bring a written explanation of exactly how my work caused that part to fail. And if they do, I then will take the car apart, show the customer exactly what I did and explain to them why what they are telling them is bullshit. 9 times outta 10 when the customer tells them that at the dealer, they end up fixing it and I never see the person again :lol:

Many mechanics make a living on bullshitting people. I never trust them. When I buy my LGT, if/when I have a problem, I know they will blame my part, but they will be in for a big surprise when they find out that unlike most of their customers I know wtf I'm talking about.

I love the look on their faces when they get caught in a web of bs:icon_conf

If the warranty claim is declined due to the modifications, only SOA can decline it, not the dealership.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived