LegacyGT.com

SIA Plant Tour is Back (no, REALLY!)

Which Date would you like to attend the SIA Plant Tour in Lafayette, IN?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Date would you like to attend the SIA Plant Tour in Lafayette, IN?

• Friday, March 4, 2005
    • Friday, March 18, 2005

If these are real numbers, could we schedule both dates? Does SOA have a preference for group size? My wife is a semi-gearhead and would tag along on 3/4.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I'll be in. It's a grand 40 minute commute from my place. If anyone needs suggestions on lodging, etc. I lived in West Lafayette for 6 years, and am very familiar with the central Indiana area (Indy, Kokomo, Lafayette)..

If these are real numbers, could we schedule both dates? Does SOA have a preference for group size? My wife is a semi-gearhead and would tag along on 3/4.
I have confirmed that both dates are possible! (if there are no objections to this):

Can I use the poll counts for my head count for both dates?

Please ring in to confirm your name and date that you will be attending. I will ONLY be going one date (I'll go the first date), but I do not think that would be any big deal.

Thanks alot, this will be fun.

Rob

When is the absolute latest no backout date?

I am not 100% sure on what you mean.

If you are asking how long you have to make up your mind whether you are in or not, I would like to at least give them a couple of weeks prior to the tour date to add your name, out of courtesy.

My goal is just to give everyone a lot of time to make plans (both us and SIA).

Rob

Ok, I received all of the forms this morning. I need to have everyone's full name and date of attending for security clearance.

No sense clogging up this thread, so please PM me

I have to go on a Business Trip and won't be back until Friday, so by next Monday or so, I'd like to have my forms completed and submitted.

thanks, this is going to be fun (mainly meeting everyone, I think)

Rob

Ok, I received all of the forms this morning. I need to have everyone's full name and date of attending for security clearance.

No sense clogging up this thread, so please PM me

I have to go on a Business Trip and won't be back until Friday, so by next Monday or so, I'd like to have my forms completed and submitted.

thanks, this is going to be fun (mainly meeting everyone, I think)

Rob

PM sent! :D With important question, can kids come with their parents?

I started going to the DSM Shootout in 1995. As far as I know it's the oldest internet-based car club meeting, going back to at least 1992.

I must say that by far the most enjoyable part of it is all the cars & owners, not the "official" events planned for the day. Granted, we haven't had that long to mod our cars enough to really show them off but it's still a lot of fun.

You should have seen some of the engineers that worked in the DSM plant in Normal, IL, when they rode in an 11-sec car. It made a tad more than the 195 hp that it left the factory with :)

Anyway, at this point I'm about 80% able to go, regardless of which date(s) are chosen.

Well the 'both days' idea came with this rationale: I mostly want to see the plant (assuming we'll be near the line and not just in a room watching a video). Isn't there enough car show, gathering, chatting stuff at home? Why should someone miss out if they have a date conflict? Seems easier for the tour guide to manage a two small groups. Whatever, just some rationale.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I can't go on the 18th, but I also think that meeting people is part of the fun. If the majority can go on the 18th, but not on the 4th, then I think you all should do the 18th...

Ted

It would be great if everyone could do the 4th though :)

:spin:

Well the 'both days' idea came with this rationale: I mostly want to see the plant (assuming we'll be near the line and not just in a room watching a video). Isn't there enough car show, gathering, chatting stuff at home? Why should someone miss out if they have a date conflict? Seems easier for the tour guide to manage a two small groups. Whatever, just some rationale.
Definately will not be in a room watching the video. Part of the tour will be a catwalk tour over the line. Also, I have requested that you all be allowed to get an intimate look at the Tribeca, like I did a couple of weeks ago. Though most of the preproduction models are out and about, they should have one in the lobby by the time we get there (to go along with the Garnet Red Pearl OB XT, Brilliant Silver LGT Limited, and Baja that is in there).

Also, it would be neat to go to the Training facility where they have the first Legacy built at SIA (boy were THEY ugly!) and a really neat OB XT that is cut down the middle for a cross section view. You guys would like that. It is precision cut down the middle, the entire lenght of the car from stem to stern. Neat looking at the engine, especially.

The tour will start at 9:00 AM EST by the way on both days. I still need names and dates from those of you that have not PM's me yet. Thanks to those who did already.

Rob

Just sent you a PM..... two more ppl.... =)

We can go either day... but prefer the 4th....

Steve

got you (both)!

Just an update for all -- I was told by Mike, my contact today that they are going to pull one of the Tribecas into the lobby for us to check out on both days. Get to "kick the tires" so-to-speak.

Also, we are planning on starting 9:00 AM EST in the Training center to see the displays, then onto the Tribeca, then onto the tour. Should be fun stuff (especially to get to meet everyone).

By the way, don't make the same mistake that I made when I went to the SAAB kick-off meeting last month -- LaFayette is one of the areas in Indiana where their time never changes, so they are actually EST now until EST "Springs Forward" in the Spring.

I was late for a morning meeting with SQA, missed lunch, and was generally rushed for the meeting because I did not realize that :(

Live and learn....

Rob

So.... a few questions....

1.) My wife and I will be getting in the evening of the 3rd and getting a hotel room. Is everyone booking in the same hotel, or are we just doing our own thing?

2.) For the 4th.... would you all like to get together early (~7 AM) to have breakfast together as kind of a meet and greet? I thought it might be nice. S.R. 26 is one exit north of the plant and has numerous restaurants available.

3.) I understand that the tour will begin at 9 AM at the plant. Has the meeting location been firmed up yet? If we do #2 above, I thought it would be nice for us to all caravan the cars over to the plant...

Let me know!

Steve