LegacyGT.com

The Classic Rap thread

BDII

Guest JessterCPA
^ I personally think anything 10 years or older would be considered classic.

You would be leaving off the likes of Biggie, Wu Tang, Dre, etc if 1991 was the cutoff.

I guess it's all perspective. I dont consider those bands classic in terms of age. Classic in terms of genre defining, maybe.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hutru speaks the truth.

WuTang should not be left off the "classic list" just because they came out with an album in 1993. in my mind, they became instantly classic.

Guest JessterCPA

I'll respectfully disagree, but I am not the master of this music.

Now if we do a classic metal or classic hair-band thread, it's mine. :lol:

Guest JessterCPA
cool. I'll be the moderator of the Grunge / Seattle thread.:lol:

It was my defining music growing up in the early 90's.

That's why you consider that era "classic". I am a product of the 80's, hence my angle.

That's why you consider that era "classic". I am a product of the 80's, hence my angle.

I can agree with the fact that the 80s defined rap. But the 90's brought about the evolution of what is known today as hip hop. While some may say rap and hip hop are the same thing, they are also different in many ways. ;)

Dude, I'm with you as fas as age. When I hear some of the hiphop crap that's out now I instantly become my father in the 80's.

Plus, I don't think anyone mention Whoodini.

I would also like to thank the person you mentioned Pharoahe Monche's "Simon Says". I've been playing the crap out of that and the remix w/Redman and Method.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Guest JessterCPA
I can agree with the fact that the 80s defined rap. But the 90's brought about the evolution of what is known today as hip hop. While some may say rap and hip hop are the same thing, they are also different in many ways. ;)

I would agree.

I think we can all agree on the fact that the majority of today's hip hop/rap is garbage as far as originality is concerned.

Although, I am guilty of listening to the likes of Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, and many others....due to the fact I dig nice beats regardless of the lyrics.

Then again, I also listen to Enya during quiet times.

:hide:

Good point.

I always liked rap best. Never really was a fan of hip hop or R&B or any of that.

I can appreciate the serious skills that some of the best rappers have. Hell, I read Wu Tang lyrics and I can't even pronounce that stuff in my head, let alone spew it out smoothly over a nice beat!

Gotta give it to WU-Tang. Nothing had a white kid in the burbs wanting to rock a triple fat goose jacket and go rollin around in an MPV with a system

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=fmRwgVIQEPc&feature=related]YouTube - Wu-Tang Clan - Can It Be All So Simple[/ame]

• 1 year later...
I actually posted a bunch of gang starr vids right on the 1st page of this thread when it was started
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Archived