LegacyGT.com

Edmunds info on 2010 Legacy

Viber

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this mean the Legacy will stay the same size and not go upmarket like the maxima? Certainly hope so.

Having a flagship sedan thats the same size as your economy sedan, and the smallest in its class is not going to bolster sales numbers...

Legacy should grow, to at the very least keep parity with the new TSX, which isnt a large car at all.

Laugh it up, leases should be for about 2 years, maybe 3 at the most. Longer than that and let's just say...

First, I hope Subaru doesn't make the Legacy much bigger. Now Accord, Camry, Altima and the 2009 Mazda6 are in a bigga is betta contest. The Legacy probably will have to be smaller, because Subaru can't afford to make a bigger version of the Legacy for the NA market, as the others are now doing.

I am anxious to have a look at the 2010 Legacy to decide if I wait for it or if I get a 2009. Being told of even more slanted headlights is nothing too exciting. Everybody is into slanted headlights and smiling grilles. It's simple anthropomorphism applied to cars

And about 2 vs 3 vs 4 years leasing, I would like to be enlightened. Although my current car was paid for on delivery, I am considering leasing the next one, IF I can get a good rate AND a high residual value.

Leasing is basically about the interest rate and the residual value... Unless I am missing something.

My wife has leased a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T for 4 years @ 1.9% and 48% residual. There is no way this is not a great deal, even more so because Volkswagen Canada has a full 4 year manufacturer warranty.

It would have to increase in size to compete.

I recently drove coworkers to lunch, and they complimented the car but said it was too small for them. Both were dads, owned a Camry and G35.

TOKYO — Mid-2009 signals the 20th anniversary of the Subaru Legacy. So what better time to unveil the next-generation model? Slated for a June 2009 launch, the fifth-generation Legacy will take its predecessor's exterior and add a larger grille, sharper up-slanting headlights, flared fenders and stronger edges all round.

Exiga with a big grille, probably like Tribeca and Forester. Exiga has the up-slanting headlights, and wide fender arches (which might pass as "flared fenders" to marketing speaking folks.)

As one insider says, "It'll employ significant cosmetic modifications, but you'll still be able to tell that it's a Legacy. But this time, opinions on its exterior looks will no doubt be divided."

code-speak translator engaged:

It will have one or two details that will let you know it is a legacy, but other than that, it is going to look a lot uglier... prepare yourselves. We are going for a brand-wide look, regardless if it kills the brand.

Expected to sit on an almost identically sized platform as the current model, the new lineup will include the Legacy and Outback.

almost identical, but yet bigger.

The future Legacy will be powered by newly developed 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engines, with one source saying that the six-cylinder 3.0-liter will be axed in lieu of improved emissions and fuel efficiency.

We know that we just introduced the H6 Legacy we had, but it is going away again. Sorry, sux to be you who like a 6-cylinder engine. (although personally, I wonder how they'll sell outbacks without H6s... not everybody buys an econo-model outback...)

Our source also indicates that the construction of Subaru's recently launched boxer diesel engine (in Europe) has influenced company engineers to employ similar techniques in maximizing the new gas engine's design by incorporating an alloy cylinder block, which features a significantly reduced block length and longer stroke action. Such construction also allows for weight reduction and the ability to lower the engine's center of gravity even further.

Shorter, wider, lighter weight, and probably with the turbo strapped to the front of the engine, rather than high on the rear side. Hopefully it will be as robust as Subaru engines are known to be.

The 2.0-liter naturally aspirated unit is expected to generate 200 horsepower while the 2.5-liter turbo model will produce over 300 hp. In order to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency, two notoriously weak areas for Subaru, engineers are working on a continuously variable transmission in addition to the standard five-speed automatic.

direct injection may be making an appearance. if they do lack an H6 engine, maybe the Legacy turbo will get the STI's level of tune, if the STI also gets direct injection and gets tuned higher yet.

With the 3.0-liter model discarded, we have it on good authority that Subaru is seriously considering adding a hot Legacy STI to the mix further down the road — a sedan destined to get a turbocharged version of the company's current 3.7-liter engine that will reportedly pump out upwards of 430 hp.

This is conjecture until we see proof. We have been asking for it. They gave us the 3.0R Limited, and a limited-config Spec B with the same horsepower. We probably won't have access to the S402, so I am not holding my breath on a USDM Legacy STI with a 430hp turbocharged H6.

The 3.7 engine they are referring to is likely either a variant of the Tribeca's H6 (which should be referred to as a 3.6...) or a new variant of the H6, based on the previously mentioned revised H4s... If the H4s are shorter, an H6 based on them could possibly be revised, as well.

It would have to increase in size to compete.

I recently drove coworkers to lunch, and they complimented the car but said it was too small for them. Both were dads, owned a Camry and G35.

Fingers crossed for a bump up in size.

Even though the LGT is a world car, some additonal interior volume and trunk space without much exterior bloat would go a long way with keeping the LGT competitive in its class

Subaru was able to give the Impreza an addtional 7 cubic feet of passenger volume without killing fuel economy, compared to the 2006 model

The notion that Subaru cant grow the LGT at all or it will result in pure suckage is silly

Hell, even the Mazda3 has more passenger volume!

The 3.7 engine they are referring to is likely either a variant of the Tribeca's H6 (which should be referred to as a 3.6...) or a new variant of the H6, based on the previously mentioned revised H4s... If the H4s are shorter, an H6 based on them could possibly be revised, as well.

Remember the 3.3L? It was just a 2.2L that they added 2 cylinders to.:)

Remember the 3.3L? It was just a 2.2L that they added 2 cylinders to.:)

And added an extra set of camshafts to each side for a ton of low-end and mid-range humpff.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If the wagon picture is any indication, I'm optimistic that we'll see the LGT wagon again. And, the Tribeca is built on an upgraded Legacy chassis, so there is no reason they can't take that platform and add some additional "size" to the Legacy. Would love to see an STI Legacy in both wagon and sedan, but we'll possibly see it as a sedan w/hatch, ala the new 2010-ish BMW 5-series (and the current 08 STI). A hatch still won't meet my needs, so I'm still optimistic (read: do it!) that Subaru will bring the wagon in full-on performance spec.

SBT

from the article:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0523/subaru.legacy.illustration.500.jpg

Subaru says the future Legacy's styling will split consumer opinion. This photo illustration offers an idea of what the new Legacy may look like. (Photo courtesy of Holiday Auto)

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

Is that the new Exiga? Wait, jpeg properties says 'legacy'.

This rendering above is very intriguing too, but it looks too good to be controversial like Edmunds states above..

I'm not excited to read about *Polarizing Opinions* on the exterior sheetmetal design. That kind of stuff scares me.

Edit- I'm a sucker. That's somebody's photoshopped ideal Legacy... isn't it? 06 grille and Spec B wheels...

that was in the article, my apologies for forgetting the caption. did i learn nothing at yearbook camp?!

"Subaru says the future Legacy's styling will split consumer opinion. This photo illustration offers an idea of what the new Legacy may look like. (Photo courtesy of Holiday Auto)"

ill edit it into my post

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

If the wagon picture is any indication, I'm optimistic that we'll see the LGT wagon again. And, the Tribeca is built on an upgraded Legacy chassis, so there is no reason they can't take that platform and add some additional "size" to the Legacy. Would love to see an STI Legacy in both wagon and sedan, but we'll possibly see it as a sedan w/hatch, ala the new 2010-ish BMW 5-series (and the current 08 STI). A hatch still won't meet my needs, so I'm still optimistic (read: do it!) that Subaru will bring the wagon in full-on performance spec.

SBT

I have absolutely no faith in SOA bringing the wagon back to the U.S. Even if they did, as unlikely as it is, I doubt it would be available in a performance trim. I think the wagon is dead until there is shake up in SOA's management.

why would you intentionally make a car that "splits consumer opinion"? it's like...let's alienate half our customers....awesome...

I guess it depends on how you interpret it...

It could mean they are going to tick off the tree huggers and lesbians by making an edgy sport sedan...

Can go either way...We'll see, but it might not necessarily be a bad thing

I have absolutely no faith in SOA bringing the wagon back to the U.S. Even if they did, as unlikely as it is, I doubt it would be available in a performance trim. I think the wagon is dead until there is shake up in SOA's management.

To quote a Bible verse "Faith is assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not yet seen." So, I have no assurance that the Legacy line will be reinvigorated with a wagon variant, nor do I have any evidence (other than the picture above) that Subaru intends to bring a wagon, so all I can do is "hope" at this point. And that hope is that they will reintroduce the wagon as a very limited hi-po (If not an actual STI, then at least an STI-like) variant such that I would immediately put up down-payment money well in advance to get in on this one.

SBT

from the article:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0523/subaru.legacy.illustration.500.jpg

Subaru says the future Legacy's styling will split consumer opinion. This photo illustration offers an idea of what the new Legacy may look like. (Photo courtesy of Holiday Auto)

That is one wagon I would not want...:nono:

why would you intentionally make a car that "splits consumer opinion"? it's like...let's alienate half our customers....awesome...

When you have such low marketshare, some times you need to stir the pot to increase sales. I think the current LGT is a hot car, but that sales numbers don't back that up (if they ever marketed the car, numbers would pick up too, but that must be asking too much...).

Maybe Americans will finally get over the fact that they're just driving bloated station wagons (SUVs) and return to the station wagon? Oh well, I can dream if I want to.

Archived