LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT sedan or Wagon>> Hard Choice

vladt

Hi all,

Have been following this site for a while now and finally decided to join.

I am currently trying to make a choice between Legacy GT Sedan or Wagon!

The performance differences are negligible so I have been pondering over this for weeks now with no avail!

I like the convenience of the wagon and it looks great too.

However sedan is "more has more sports oriented look".

Which one would have better re-sale value? Why did you buy sedan/wagon?

I would love to hear your reasoning prior to your vehicle purchase?

Thanks

Vlad

I bought the wagon becuase I have a coupe so I wanted something to hold my surfboard, friends, trees, stray animals, garbage, midgets on the side of the road, be what it may, I purchased it for the extra space and practicality. Also I like how it looks better, the RS4 was one of my favorite cars and I lvoe the idea of a fast good looking wagon. Also I don't really like the looks of almost all mid-sized sedans for some reason.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Moby Dick

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

for me it was simple, i just wasn't in the market for a wagon. It really depends on what you are going to do with it. If you think you will need the extra space and features a wagon offers, go for it. If not, you can't go wrong with the sedan

Welcome,

I bought the Sedan because I think it is a much better looking car than the wagon. I have always liked the WRX wagon but the Legacy wagon didnt do it for me.

I have taken several long distance family trips since buying the LGT and we take our 2002 Explorer since the LGT sedan is to small for the 4 of us to travel. The Legacy is far superior to my 4WD Explorer in comfort, gas mileage, NOISE, that I wish I had the extra room of the wagon for family trips and such.

Other than that, I love the sedan. I wanted a sport sedan in the first place!:)

Actually, I am of the opposite opinion. I feel the GT wagon is better looking...long and sleek. The GT sedan, and WRX sedan for that matter, are a bit bland in comparison. I had a WRX wagon prior to the GT. The combination of performance and wagon utility makes for a very unique vehicle and explains some of the new wagon offerings from other manufacturers.

The sedan is nice...it's just not for me.

Tom

I think you're going to get answers on either side of the fence depending on what the individual owns. As you can see from my profile, I'm biased towards wagons. The Legacy wagon has a very sleek profile with the roofline and side windows that gently taper towards the rear of the vehicle. I think it looks althletic and sophisticated at the same time. If you opt for the Limited trim, you also get a much bigger moonroof than the sedan.

Also, you simply can't beat the utility of a wagon. Just open the rear hatch and throw your stuff in. The rear seats fold down flat in a snap to swallow items that would never make it into a sedan.

In my case, I have a family so opting for the utility of the wagon was a no-brainer. And the great thing is that there is really no performance penalty for the extra cargo space and sleeker look.

Resale value wise, I don't think there would be any major difference.

If you can't make you mind up yet -- get both! :)

Ken

I too chose the wagon. It's great for hauling stuff, and if you have kids like I do, it's great for all their stuff too. If you go with the wagon, get the limited. That sunroof is great (so are the other options). this is our "suv". my wife has a jetta so we needed something that had room to haul stuff.

I also like the lines on the wagon compared to the sedan.

godd luck!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I went with the wagon for the same reasons everyone with a wagon did...new baby coming in February, other car is a MINI, needed the extra room.

I really like the cars utility and the performance is a bonus. Looked at the Audi wagon which is really nice, but lacked performance. At only 170hp, felt a little slow on the NJ turnpike, the Legacy was a better deal.

Hi all,

Have been following this site for a while now and finally decided to join.

I am currently trying to make a choice between Legacy GT Sedan or Wagon!

The performance differences are negligible so I have been pondering over this for weeks now with no avail!

I like the convenience of the wagon and it looks great too.

However sedan is "more has more sports oriented look".

Which one would have better re-sale value? Why did you buy sedan/wagon?

I would love to hear your reasoning prior to your vehicle purchase?

Thanks

Vlad

I was dead set on the sedan. Had already driven it once in stick, before we decided to REPLACE the wife's Exploder (sic). So, we needed something with autostick. Well, my wife really wants something with space (wagon holds almost as much as the Explorer), and she LOVES sunroofs. She likes to roll the seat back and watch the stars while I cruise :-)

Plus, she's always joked about getting a hearse. After she saw the black/black GT LTD wagon, it was no contest.

Plus, it has a turbo and lots of aftermarket parts, which makes me happy!!

I like the looks of the wagon better, but since my wife already has an SUV I did not need the space, so I found it difficult to justify the additional price and weight of the wagon.

But either way, you really can't go wrong. I would say that unless you have another vehicle that can hold a lot of stuff, get the wagon.

-Nick

Get an Outback! :)

I've loved my OB in the deep snow this winter, where do you live?

One thought about the LGT sedan, I don't think the seats fold flat, so that limits their utility even more for large objects. If you need a Legacy I'd get the Wagon. I have no data on resale, but with the trend towards SUV's and Wagons these days, I would guess a wagon would do better. I think a 5MT would limit the resale of the wagon a bit vs. the 5EAT, at least that is what a Subie dealer told me, so consider that as well. Again this is opinion not fact...

We have two dogs (one is 85 lbs), two 13.5 kayaks, two MTB's, two road bikes and a MINI Cooper S. We had a WRX wagon and a Jeep Wrangler and it just made sense to go with another wagon, even though we could have dealt with everything easily enough with the sedan. It has come in handy with runs to the store for supplies in projects around the house....never would have worked with the sedan.

The best reasons to buy the wagon over the sedan? No one would ever guess it's as fast as it is, plus you get the HUGE sunroof. :D

Odd how WRX wagons were $500 less MSRP then the WRX sedan but Legacy GT wagons are $1K more than the LGT sedan.

I love Legacy wagons (been a fan since the first generation), but I'm leaning towards getting a GT sedan. I am also planning on getting a used pickup in the next year, so I've pretty much decided that I don't need two object haulers.

I'm still tempted to get the wagon, though... we'll see what happens in a month or so :D

I was set on the sedan until I test drove a wagon.

Perks:

1. HUUUUUUUUGE moonroof

2. Rear seats fold down

3. More space

3. Profile is great

4. Wagon attracts less attention than sedan

5. Perfect blend of sport and utility

It's only 50 pounds heavier, and I think the mileage is nearly identical....

I also agree that the sedan styling isn't great. The wagon manages to look "meaner" some how.

YMMV

Easy choice for me. I've had sedans and hatch backs before and I definitely like vehicles with extra space in back - for all the reasons previous wagon owners mentioned: pets, sports equipment, furniture, trips to the dump, landscaping, lumber, etc. I also wanted something with built in roof-rack compatibility so the wagon was a natural there too.

Vlad, what kind of Romanian name is that ?

The sedan is sporty. You might as well get a Honda Odissey minivan if you need the space inside. They also come AWD. Subarus should be all sedans. But it turns out everyone knows them for the wagons: the Forester and the Outback.

But if you're getting a Legacy or WRX make it a sedan.

So are you Romanian ? You suck blood and turn into a vampire ? Daca esti roman, da-mi un PM si poate mai stam de vorba.

Vlad, what kind of Romanian name is that ?

The sedan is sporty. You might as well get a Honda Odissey minivan if you need the space inside. They also come AWD. Subarus should be all sedans. But it turns out everyone knows them for the wagons: the Forester and the Outback.

But if you're getting a Legacy or WRX make it a sedan.

So are you Romanian ? You suck blood and turn into a vampire ? Daca esti roman, da-mi un PM si poate mai stam de vorba.

Haha, nope, Vlad is short for Vladimir, and I am Russian. Well I left Russian 15 years ago and now live in Australia...

BTW, only suck blood of car salesman..

I stuggled with the the decision myself for awhile.

Wagon bonus: Back seats fold flat, more cargo room, sleeper factor, integrated roof rack

Sedan bouns: $1000 less, I personally think its a little more sporty looking

I ultimately settled on the sedan mostly because of the money, but also because I have a pickup so I didn't really NEED the hatch. There was also limited avalibility of MT wagons at the time. Sometimes I reget the decision like on a road trip or ski trip...but that will pass as soon as Thule ships me my roof rack fit kit so I can mount my ski box up top.

Money aside, if you don't have another vehicle to haul stuff, I think the decision is easy. In the long run the wagon will prove far more versatile.

Archived