LegacyGT.com

Rear Wing for Road Racing

FPerron

My '05 is set up for racing on tracks like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, and Mt Tremblant, Quebec. I added this adjustable wing spoiler to help keep the rear planted in fast corners. This is a quality unit made of carbon filber and cost about $650. Much larger and more expensive APR wings are available. BTW, I use a different set of wheels and tires on the track.

http://www.henstoothdiscs.com/images/Picture1.jpg

http://www.henstoothdiscs.com/images/Picture2.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how tasteful

aaaaahahahahhahahah :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

seriously that thing is terrible

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

http://www.marcusleadley.com/recipes/rice.jpg
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I figured on the knee-jerk flaming. The point is that the wing is there for a reason beyond looks. I you're not familiar with any form of motor sport other than drag racing, check out the Speed Channel at odd hours when "Monster Trucks" is not showing.

I figured on the knee-jerk flaming. The point is that the wing is there for a reason beyond looks. I you're not familiar with any form of motor sport other than drag racing, check out the Speed Channel at odd hours when "Monster Trucks" is not showing.

The knee jerk reaction is because it's ugly as sin and there are more visually pleasing ways to achieve downforce.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I have not seen your car on the Speed Channel.

If you like the wing and think it helps you then enjoy it :)

I have not seen your car on the Speed Channel.

:lol::lol::lol:

If you like the wing and think it helps you then enjoy it :)

in the end that's all that really matters

The wing deffinitely helps, but only in fast corners. It's balanced by a front lip spoiler (AKA splitter) and I'm running Megan coilovers, Perrin sway bars, Cusco lower frame braces and adjustable rear lower control arms that allow -2.5 degree camber settings. Car dynos at 308 wheel HP with a 40bb turbo and a 100 octane tune. Last year I ran 6 races with 4 firsts and 2 seconds.

Since I have to run against anything with a 4 cyl turbo or a 6 cyl normally aspirated engine, I have to grab any advantage I can.

Sorry for the crack about drag racing.

Did you have an oversteer problem on high speed corners?

How did you come up with the inclination angle for that particular track?

Do you have a graph of charting the inclination angle vs. air temperature?

Do you have a chart of lap times vs. inclination angle?

Do you have data to show the effects of the wing on cornering vs. loss in top end speed?

How have you adjusted the suspension to compensate for the additional loads on the rear suspension at high speeds?

BTW, some of us are engineers who do know a big wing won't make you go faster.

Did you have an oversteer problem on high speed corners?

How did you come up with the inclination angle for that particular track?

Do you have a graph of charting the inclination angle vs. air temperature?

Do you have a chart of lap times vs. inclination angle?

Do you have data to show the effects of the wing on cornering vs. loss in top end speed?

How have you adjusted the suspension to compensate for the additional loads on the rear suspension at high speeds?

BTW, some of us are engineers who do know a big wing won't make you go faster.

I did have a scary oversteer problem on fast corners. Seems much better now. BTW, I have run the wing only in the first event of this season (at Watkins Glen) and my lap times improved over last year even though I was fighting a low speed understeer problem that I introduced by adding negative camber to the rear (to be fixed with stiffer rear sway bar).

Your other questions about objectively quantifying the effect of the wing are good ones - all of which I've posed to the manufacturer. APR provides charts of downforce vs drag for different wing angles and different speeds. Unfortunately, they are still working on a tool to measure the actual angle of attack of the wing which, I'm sure you realize, will be somewhat car dependent since the slope of the rear windshield determines the angle of the air stream at the wing.

Virtually every car I run against uses a similar wing, and they all adjust the wings using the impirical approach of cranking in more angle until lap times drop off. Since I just got the wing, I don't have much data yet.

You must feel like a republican in SFO, at least you can defend your ideas. It's ugly but, if it helps with lap times. If it were me I'd look for a more aesthetically pleasing way to achieve downforce like smoothing underbody flow.

Archived