LegacyGT.com

Rear Wing for Road Racing

FPerron

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dog and I can beat you on the track :cool:
It requires little effort. At my last event, a teenage girl working for the catering company pulled up next to me in a lemonade cart asking if I wanted something to drink. I thought about it for a second, then decided I better finish hitting the apex of that turn before I look for my wallet.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Guys, I seriously think it would be a great idea if we all started a Group Buy for the Rear Road Racing Wing.....I think it will, 1. Look very fashionable, 2. Drastically improve track times.

So what do you guys say????

:hide:

It requires little effort. At my last event, a teenage girl working for the catering company pulled up next to me in a lemonade cart asking if I wanted something to drink. I thought about it for a second, then decided I better finish hitting the apex of that turn before I look for my wallet.

:rolleyes::lol::lol:

no thanks on the wing.... And I never said I was an engineer. Oh yeah 4th and 5th of aug, if I am not working, I'll be there but I am sure as hell not racing my car because it is my DD.

What car do you race?

i rather see his acutal numbers of lap times more than anything, but sadly, I have not seen anything yet in terms of numbers...

even if his car pumps out 100 whp more than my GT, I still dont think the car requires a wing to get the lap times.. you would have to set up the car so loose before you need a wing.. oh and the height of the wing isn't tall enough.

I see that his car doesn't have a cage to begin with (roll bars don't count), so it seems it's more like a time trials car (I haven't seen 1 single racing sanction that allows a non-caged car to run wheel-to-wheel).

For $650 wing and running on Megan coilovers, it would have been easier and better to just get better coilovers and redo the suspension as aerodynamics isn't going to make a difference unless you get not only a taller wing, but a larger one along with clearing sweepers at over 80 mph and that for some reason, that you are trying to late-brake a corner using the parabolic approach to a corner.

Seriously, the GT doesn't need the wing until you fully maxed out the wheel and tire combo along with everything else. Running -2.5 camber up front is probably the max you can get on a set of 245s, anything more is just going to beat up the tires which probably is causing your car to act all funny under braking conditions. So unless you over-vamp the rear end to be that stiff and changed your differentials to make it so that your car is oversteering during on-throttle, i think you can do without the wing.

However you like to set up your car, it's part of the fun to racing. But I believe some setups are done better to match the driver's comfort and skill level.

I can do without a wing even if my GT ever made 400 whp. I'll just upgrade the brakes and redo the suspension.

Keefe

i rather see his acutal numbers of lap times more than anything, but sadly, I have not seen anything yet in terms of numbers...

even if his car pumps out 100 whp more than my GT, I still dont think the car requires a wing to get the lap times.. you would have to set up the car so loose before you need a wing.. oh and the height of the wing isn't tall enough.

I see that his car doesn't have a cage to begin with (roll bars don't count), so it seems it's more like a time trials car (I haven't seen 1 single racing sanction that allows a non-caged car to run wheel-to-wheel).

For $650 wing and running on Megan coilovers, it would have been easier and better to just get better coilovers and redo the suspension as aerodynamics isn't going to make a difference unless you get not only a taller wing, but a larger one along with clearing sweepers at over 80 mph and that for some reason, that you are trying to late-brake a corner using the parabolic approach to a corner.

Seriously, the GT doesn't need the wing until you fully maxed out the wheel and tire combo along with everything else. Running -2.5 camber up front is probably the max you can get on a set of 245s, anything more is just going to beat up the tires which probably is causing your car to act all funny under braking conditions. So unless you over-vamp the rear end to be that stiff and changed your differentials to make it so that your car is oversteering during on-throttle, i think you can do without the wing.

However you like to set up your car, it's part of the fun to racing. But I believe some setups are done better to match the driver's comfort and skill level.

I can do without a wing even if my GT ever made 400 whp. I'll just upgrade the brakes and redo the suspension.

Keefe, yours is an opinion I respect for sure. And you're correct that the events I run are time trials and that I have only an Autopower 4-point roll bar from a WRX. I think time trials are more difficult than wheel-to-wheel racing in many respects because you don't know what the winning time will be and don't know how hard to push.

As far as publishing comparative lap times, I already said that the wing is new and I plan to gather data. I think I also mentioned that the main reason for the wing was to fight snap oversteer in fast corners like the downhill onto the main straight at Lime Rock. I needed a way to reduce high speed oversteer without inducing low speed understeer.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how this works out. Wish I could make it down to one of the tracks you're familiar with like VIR.

• 2 months later...

The time trial event at Mt. Tremblant (Quebec) is Tuesday, August 5. I'm still prepared to buy dinner for any LGT owner who has posted negatively about my wing and who can come within 3 seconds of my best lap time that day.

Any takers?

The time trial event at Mt. Tremblant (Quebec) is Tuesday, August 5. I'm still prepared to buy dinner for any LGT owner who has posted negatively about my wing and who can come within 3 seconds of my best lap time that day.

Any takers?

Pay my expenses and I will come up there and drive your car without the wing on it and we will see if I can get within 3 seconds of your time ;)

Pay my expenses and I will come up there and drive your car without the wing on it and we will see if I can get within 3 seconds of your time ;)

same here

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I couldn't agree more.

Besides, what do they give you for winning some BS race? Nada! :lol:

I can have nada without having to destroy my car :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Archived