LegacyGT.com

Wagon Folks: Will a resonator help?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wanted the sp2, but I couldn't get over the size of the tips. I thought about buying an sp2 and welding smaller tips on there but with the price of a new sp2 and modified tips would have set me back $800-900. I got a very good price on a used SPT so I went with it.

I still don't believe a resonator won't help. I've read a few reviews from drivers on the mazdaspeed 3 forums who have added a resonator to their aftermarket CBE's. In their experience, the resonator resulted in about a 20% decrease in drone noise using the exact resonator that I ordered. Even if its all about the cans, if you reduce the noise coming out of the front of the exhaust, there should be some decrease in noise. It's funny, I shouted at the top of my lungs through this resonator and it sounded like I was wispering. Decisions...decisions.

I have a greddy sp2 exhaust, no resonator, nice deep rumble but there is a little drone effect inside the cabin at times but its not bad.

I really wanted the sp2, but I couldn't get over the size of the tips. I thought about buying an sp2 and welding smaller tips on there but with the price of a new sp2 and modified tips would have set me back $800-900. I got a very good price on a used SPT so I went with it.

I still don't believe a resonator won't help. I've read a few reviews from drivers on the mazdaspeed 3 forums who have added a resonator to their aftermarket CBE's. In their experience, the resonator resulted in about a 20% decrease in drone noise using the exact resonator that I ordered. Even if its all about the cans, if you reduce the noise coming out of the front of the exhaust, there should be some decrease in noise. It's funny, I shouted at the top of my lungs through this resonator and it sounded like I was wispering. Decisions...decisions.

SP2: Yup the tips are on the big size but they do fit the openings in the bumper really well. I've gotten used to them.

Granted, I have a 2.5i, but when i straight piped from the cat back to a pair of magnaflows, my sister said you could hear me coming from blocks away. And it droned on the highway. I ended up putting the factory resonator back in and it totally eliminate the drone. The factory resonator is a straight thru design but has a particular shape to it - tuned for the motor and exhaust.

The resonator will help quite a bit I expect.

I miss the louder exhaust note personally but also like being able to talk to my rear seat passengers too ;)

I put the resonator in the spot where the stock resonator would be. It's a 3 inch inlet outlet piece, and about half the length of the stock resonator. The sound is perfect now. The drone has been reduced drastically. It's still there but it is at a level that I love. When I go WOT it wails too. The stock resonator is a behemouth and subaru obviously used it to get rid of the drone in stock form. I found some other things they did to eliminate drone. There was heavy metal tape in the spare tire area. There were also these weird honeycomb like plastic boxes in the rear side fenders as well. Can't wait to get a custom tune.

Granted, I have a 2.5i, but when i straight piped from the cat back to a pair of magnaflows, my sister said you could hear me coming from blocks away. And it droned on the highway. I ended up putting the factory resonator back in and it totally eliminate the drone. The factory resonator is a straight thru design but has a particular shape to it - tuned for the motor and exhaust.

The resonator will help quite a bit I expect.

I miss the louder exhaust note personally but also like being able to talk to my rear seat passengers too ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

had Zack do the work at Donny's place this morning.

Zack is an awesome welder and amazing with pipes.

he made this pipe that all of us took a hit on, it was incredible....wrong story.

jk

great job, great pricing. Not the first time this guy is doing custom exhaust work on performance modded cars, for sure. Very good attention to detail with the custom bends and great customer service.

Ask for Zack at Donny's mEineke in Levittown.

Donny said hi Rodney, thanks again for the help.

NOTE: they have awesome complimentary breakfast in the reception!!!

Now on the sound. Its perfect.

No more droning.

It baffled the noise considerably, however, from what I felt in today's drive, the extra bends and 3rd muffler haven't affected performance.

Pulls hard still.

at WOT, you can hear the turbo more now since the exhaust is muted.

Still have a nice boxer rumble and sound to the exhaust. Overall, a successful mission.

He also extended the tips.

Before:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2600/img1346fl2.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4303/img1347kv9.jpg

After:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1351/img1399xu2.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5905/img1396pg5.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3036/img1411pv6.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7033/img1415qy1.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3913/img1416mj2.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMa19MVjJkM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMa19MVjJkM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

holy carp they put an entire magnaflow muffler in there.....

I wouldn't suggest that to anyone ...magnaflow makes an excellent resonator but wow an entire muffler... it would sound great if you ran that to straight pipes...

holy carp they put an entire magnaflow muffler in there.....

I wouldn't suggest that to anyone ...magnaflow makes an excellent resonator but wow an entire muffler... it would sound great if you ran that to straight pipes...

this 3" center inlet/outlet straight through muffler has no baffles or restriction, strictly to muffle the sound which was the goal.

I was choosing between a glass pack, vibrant quiet resonator or the magnaflow oval muffler.

I'm glad I chose the magnfalow muffler, now the wagon is back to a daily driver and the wife doesn't complain!

anybody have droning issues, extra 3rd oval muffler FTW and definitely no "flow" issues on performance...maintains deep boxer rumble at idle, WOT sounds great still.

Can you provide Magnaflow part # for the muffler?

I have 3" turboback (AVO DP, Perrin mid/y-pipe and Prova/Fujitsubo cans) and even with EL headers the setup is too loud and drones in the wagon. The Perrin midpipe as a resonator (bullet type), I wonder if a muffler like yours would make substantial difference.

Can you provide Magnaflow part # for the muffler?

I have 3" turboback (AVO DP, Perrin mid/y-pipe and Prova/Fujitsubo cans) and even with EL headers the setup is too loud and drones in the wagon. The Perrin midpipe as a resonator (bullet type), I wonder if a muffler like yours would make substantial difference.

uncle,

I used the following magnaflow oval muffler:

part #

14319Magnaflow Muffler 14319 Polished

it will definitley work for your problem. my 3" magnaflow Catback (autospeed uppipe, crucial shorty) had the same issues in the wagon, now its not even an issue.

got both approval from wife and grandparents over the weekend drive.

still idles nicely with the deep boxer rumble.

still makes me smile at WOT.

zero "flow" issues, if anything, it feels better.

just be sure you find a good exhaust welder, its not a simple cut and replace like i had thought.

hope that helps.

he bent so many pipes together to get the fit perfect with no clearance issues.

it was hard to see him cut away such a large section of piping.

be sure you get a center inlet/outlet, otherwise there's no room for anything else.

Seems like it hangs pretty low now :(

maybe its the angle of the shots, i'll try and take some more shots from the street level.

the exhaust hangs perfectly now, almost like stock.

i have another LGT wagon thats completely bone stock, so I compared it to that.

maybe its the angle of the shots, i'll try and take some more shots from the street level.

the exhaust hangs perfectly now, almost like stock.

i have another LGT wagon thats completely bone stock, so I compared it to that.

You also have two LGT wagons? :lol:

Here is my story:

I had 2 11" magnaflow mufflers welded on the stock Y and liked the sound but it was WAY too loud. (i had already had the resonator removed) The exhaust also looked terrible (bad welds) so I decided to get a custom catback done.

I had Supertuning in Sherman Oaks weld on a custom setup...3" to 2.5" with a single 12" resonator to my magnaflows. Sounded good, a little loud but not TOO bad. Then I had the first cat in the DP cutout and the volume doubled. I had Coco at Supertuning weld in a 18" resonator after the 12" and it did nothing. Coco had a guy come in and have him cut off his 3" magnaflow 14" Muffler. We took off the 18" resonator and put on the magnaflow and wow...its PERFECT. No drone...sounds amazing

Here is my story:

I had 2 11" magnaflow mufflers welded on the stock Y and liked the sound but it was WAY too loud. (i had already had the resonator removed) The exhaust also looked terrible (bad welds) so I decided to get a custom catback done.

I had Supertuning in Sherman Oaks weld on a custom setup...3" to 2.5" with a single 12" resonator to my magnaflows. Sounded good, a little loud but not TOO bad. Then I had the first cat in the DP cutout and the volume doubled. I had Coco at Supertuning weld in a 18" resonator after the 12" and it did nothing. Coco had a guy come in and have him cut off his 3" magnaflow 14" Muffler. We took off the 18" resonator and put on the magnaflow and wow...its PERFECT. No drone...sounds amazing

Is this same/similar as spyguy's or bigger? Can you find out the part #?

The exhaust is too loud with the puny Perrin resonator. I'd hate to lose my Prova/Fujitsubo cans, so I am thinking about putting a muffler in place of the resonator like you guys did.

EDIT:14319 is 14" long / 3" diam. muffler indeed.

Archived