LegacyGT.com

ZR1 faster that GT-R at Nurburgring?

Check out this article...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/corvette-engineers-say-zr1-will-best-nissan-gt-rs-nurburgring-lap-time.html

For the lazy...

Nissan just announced that its mighty GT-R just lapped the Nürburgring in 7 minutes 29 seconds, but the boys over at Chevrolet aren't about to hand over the production-car track record. Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter says that a production version of the ZR1 will be able to beat the GT-R's impressive mark.

Up until now, only pre-production ZR1s have been lapping the Nürburgring. But with Chevrolet's 638 horsepower, 205 mph sports car now ready for production, Corvette engineers feel that the supercar from Detroit will have no trouble eclipsing the GT-R's time.

Juechter even told Edmunds that the ZR1 should be able to lap the track in "seven minutes, twenty-something seconds."

But even if the 'Vette can best 7 minutes 29 seconds, it still has to contend with the higher-performance GT-R V-Spec.

Let the trash talking begin!

Its funny how Corvette loyalist have made the most noise since the Nissan came out. There is a new alpha male in the affordable supercar playground and the old bully is pi$$ed :D

I seriouly doubt the new ZR1 will be faster then standard GT-R at the 'ring. Problem with the vette(Z06) is that it can't put down its power effectively on a proper road course in comparison to the GT-R.

GM has done nothing to solve this issue with the ZR1. Crap if the C6R got rid of leaf springs and has a proper suspension in the back. You think that GM could do the same for +$100k vette.

Theres nothing wrong with transverse leaf springs. The car still has a double wishbone suspension (Upper and Lower A arms) on all 4 corners of the car the leaf spring does the exact same thing a coil spring would do the way the suspension is set up.

The only thing that is different is that it is extremely difficult to adjust the preload, ride height, and change spring rates with a fixed pre moulded fiberglass spring as compared to off the shelf steel coil springs. These are unimportant in a road car but very important in a race car.

STOCK Vette Suspension:

http://www.web-cars.com/images/vette_img/X05CH_CR014_a.jpg

http://www.web-cars.com/images/vette_img/X05CH_CR012_a.jpg

The leaf spring does exactly the same thing a coil spring would do which is to provide tension to the lower A arm in this double wishbone setup.

Everyone knows the Corvette handles bad; that's why Nissan is so proud of getting a faster time than it :lol:

Now everyone will go back to the ring on days with perfect conditions so that they can improve their times.

:rolleyes:

That's why Nissan specifically said that its benchmark was the 911 TT and never mentioned the Corvette. However, maybe the multiple 911 TT benchmark cars that Nissan had on testing were really disguised vettes?:lol:

Too bad Nissan first attempt on a damp track beat the time that Z06 with Jan Magnussen set with perfect conditions. The GT-R got its clear shot like almost every other manufacturers best lap time and made the most of it.

Anyways, the real laptime that Nissan was aiming for was the 2008 Porsche GT2 'ring laptime. It handily beat the semi slicked GT2. I seriously don't think that Nissan ever considered the vette a performance target.

Its just a concidence that GT-R is a hell of a lot faster on a race track then any production vette(or sports car/supercar) while being a relative bargain.

Theres nothing wrong with transverse leaf springs. The car still has a double wishbone suspension (Upper and Lower A arms) on all 4 corners of the car the leaf spring does the exact same thing a coil spring would do the way the suspension is set up.

The only thing that is different is that it is extremely difficult to adjust the preload, ride height, and change spring rates with a fixed pre moulded fiberglass spring as compared to off the shelf steel coil springs. These are unimportant in a road car but very important in a race car.

STOCK Vette Suspension:

The leaf spring does exactly the same thing a coil spring would do which is to provide tension to the lower A arm in this double wishbone setup.

Leaf springs do have packaging problems, its difficult to asymetrical setups, "cross talk" from side to side and increase in unsprung weight in comparison to a coliover...

Anyways, this is from the R&T comparo of the 911TT, Z06, USDM GT-R

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/yudalicious/chart.jpg

When you set a 5s slower laptime on Buttonwillow CCW #13 then the GT-R. While your losing time in areas where AWD would have been no help. It maybe time to rethink things...

The following sounds like a statement from Spec B owners.....

"But even if the 'Vette can best 7 minutes 29 seconds, it still has to contend with the higher-performance GT-R V-Spec."

....just kidding :lol:

Muscle cars are useless on a track without better handling.

bench racing at it's best :lol:

Well... It's not really racing, if you have no chance of winning;):lol:

I haven't seen one head to head comparison of the Z06 and the GT-R. Where the Z06 was remotely close in lap times.

If anything the Chief Engineer of the Corvette program is the ulimate bench racer. Saying that the ZR1 will beat any other production car, at any track, without any significant head to head testing. Is quite the assumption...

I think it would probably be in GM's best interest to forget about the 'ring laptimes for the ZR1. Most Corvette owners don't really care about this sort of thing. GM should just publish a set of great straight line numbers and be done.

Nissan could easily humilate GM and put a huge damper on the image/legacy of the ZR1.

Well... It's not really racing, if you have no chance of winning;):lol:

I haven't seen one head to head comparison of the Z06 and the GT-R. Where the Z06 was remotely close in lap times.

If anything the Chief Engineer of the Corvette program is the ulimate bench racer. Saying that the ZR1 will beat any other production car, at any track, without any significant head to head testing. Is quite the assumption...

I think it would probably be in GM's best interest to forget about the 'ring laptimes for the ZR1. Most Corvette owners don't really care about this sort of thing. GM should just publish a set of great straight line numbers and be done.

Nissan could easily humilate GM and put a huge damper on the image/legacy of the ZR1.

Man you're an even harder core fan boy for Nissan that those zany kids with their SRT-4's. So do you pray five times a day facing the Nissan plant in Japan or what?:lol:

Camber: "GT-R can do no wrong, best car ever made by man. The GT-R's exhaust sounds like the trumpets of angels...."

Very um...... banned member who's name starts with a "V" like.:lol:

There is no bench racinig when the GT-R > everything. :lol:

The Radical SR8 is the best car in the world with it's 6:55 lap time, but I am sure the Gt-R Spec B, Type S will beat it soon :lol:

Well, Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter says that the Corvette Z06 ZR1 SS GTP GT GXP will be bettar then a Gt-R Spec B, Type S combined with Radical SR8 wearing a party hat. He says he is the bestest bench racer in the world and his opinion > rao;):lol:

Man you're an even harder core fan boy for Nissan that those zany kids with their SRT-4's. So do you pray five times a day facing the Nissan plant in Japan or what?:lol:

Camber: "GT-R can do no wrong, best car ever made by man. The GT-R's exhaust sounds like the trumpets of angels...."

Very um...... banned member who's name starts with a "V" like.:lol:

If you replace "Camber" with Peguin and "GT-R" with a Toyota truck of any flavour then X10000000

OMG

It's Peguin post:lol:

I didn't realize that pointing out that no Corvette has remotely come to beating track time of the new GT-R, in head to head(back to back) match up. Would get so much flack. Its amusing that I get called for bench racing. However, no one closely examines the basis that Tadge Juechter can make that comment and get away without examination.

If you replace "Camber" with Peguin and "GT-R" with a Toyota truck of any flavour then X10000000

OMG

It's Peguin post:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I like my truck, and where 1/2 tons are concerned I think it is the best one on the market. For now.

Toyota does make a great truck. Although I do like my dad's F250 turbo diesel, that thing is such a beast.....

Anyways, this bench racing subject is all talk....the bottom line is that it will depend on the driver when you are comparing cars that are simliar in horsepower and handling....Maybe the new ZR-1 will have better suspension, who knows....

For GM's sake, they better step it up with all this talk. They have yet to produce anything remotely compared to the GT-R. (As far as a total package is concerned.)

lol :D I'm stilll geeking over the leaf spring statement. I really did not know the Corvette still used a leaf springs setup. Is that some kind of joke? Wow. For that alone, I agree with camber, they need to keep their mouths shut because this is not a battle they can win.

^ I have ridden in an 03, 05, and 06.

Sure they are plenty fast, but the "stock" handling is not that great for a high performance sports car (IMHO).

I have not ridden in an 07 or an 08, so I can't speak for those years.

all this knowledge on Corvettes coming from people whose experience with a Corvette is seeing one parked in the mall. :lol:

I use to own a C4, my dad use to own a '07 Z06, my uncle that lives down the block from my parents has had a C4, and now owns a C5(in addition a 1993 Camaro Z28 and 1969 GTO Judge).

My family and I are a bunch of domestic haters:lol:

Archived