LegacyGT.com

ZR1 faster that GT-R at Nurburgring?

cars are just machines each one designed to do a different job there is no "best" car there are trade-offs in every model. i do agree the new GT-R is one fine machine even with it being over weight and much to complex. i'm glad we all don't drive or like the same car what fun would that be. i will say one thing there is no car that i know of that dollar for dollar can compare to a new Corvette. factor in cost, warranty, overall performance, dealer network, gas milage, parts cost/availability, storage space, mod friendly, etc.

btw better get in on the horsepower wars while you can this won't last long.

go ZR1 :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

one more thing the ride height of a C5/6 Corvette can be adjusted very easy there is a bolt at each corner of the leaf spring you take a 10mm socket relieve the tension off the spring turn bolt ccw to lower the car cw to raise. you can get appox. 3/4" drop if you want more you need to replace bolts with longer ones which the aftermarket sells.
Stay Stock Stay Happy

^^

I totally agreee...

However, when you head of engineering is spouting off that an upcoming model(that is heavily based off a current model) is going to be the fastest production car on any racetrack in the world. You better have a better reason then just.... 'cus I say so.... That's a huge claim that is coming out of GM...

I only bring up the GT-R, because its the latest, greatest thing and I have never seen a manufacturer willingly put its car out on a racetrack . Then line it up up head to head and make some of the best performance cars ever, look second class.

However, lap times on a racetrack are only one tiny metric of what makes a good production car. Although, when dealing with these types of cars, its more to do about bragging rights then anything.

BTW -You need to probably grab one of these cars before 2011 comes around.

lol :D I'm stilll geeking over the leaf spring statement. I really did not know the Corvette still used a leaf springs setup. Is that some kind of joke? Wow. For that alone, I agree with camber, they need to keep their mouths shut because this is not a battle they can win.

you do realize that it is a single leaf spring assembly, fixed at the center, and leveraging against BOTH sides?

This isn't your dad's Jeep CJ5, that flipped over when the spring shackles broke...

The Mustang Live axle has more in common with a truck than the corvette's leaf spring does.

That said, I would so take a Carrera 4, or a tricked-the-hell-out Cayman over either a Corvette or a GT-R.

GT-R is ugly and pig-heavy.

Corvette's finish and design is coarse, and it is 6th verse, same as the previous five.

I'd rather drive a slower sports car closer to it's potential, than under-utilize either of those two.

I'd rather drive a slower sports car closer to it's potential, than under-utilize either of those two.

That's the thing, by all indication the GT-R is easiest car for a non-professional to get the most out of it on the track.

^ That is very true for most AWD Turbo'd cars. Most people don't know how to get a RWD car sideways (SAFELY) without some type of real world training or trial and error (which would be dangerous and expensive).

I am not claiming that I do know how to drive a RWD car on a race track either....Just an fyi

That's the thing, by all indication the GT-R is easiest car for a non-professional to get the most out of it on the track.

Easier than a better balanced, mid engined, light weight cayman?

It may have higher limits than the cayman, I don't really doubt that, but I have a hard time thinking that a car with that much inertia is easier to drive by a non-professional.

Maybe, I dunno. But I still think it is pig-heavy, and pig-ugly. If numbers and ultimate supremacy is it, by all means, buy a GT-R.

There are certain qualitative things that I like, more than outright performance potential, especially when that potential is far above my skill level.

I believe it goes beyond the AWD vs RWD on the track. There have been a lot of reviews pitting the GT-R against the 911 turbo. Both cars are AWD but reviewers consistently comment on how much easier it's to go fast in the GT-R vs the 911 turbo. AWD is certainly part of the GT-R equation but there are other factors, electronic wizardry mostly, that makes it such a track terror.

Archived