LegacyGT.com

Some GT limited concerns

CaptainCoke

I have really stared getting to the point of needing a new car, so I visited the dealer for a second time today, test driving a GT limited manual. The salesman is really cool. The sales manager is a coplete moron. Im interested in leasing this car, and as everyone knows the lease special right know from Subaru is for the GT(non-limited) for 325 month with zero down at signing. Just tax tags and title. So I figure I offer 1000 down and Ill pay 375 a month instead. Then this guy go ape $hit about how the car is worth so much, and is better than everycar. I told him about the remarkable Audi S4 lease going on for 499 a month, and he said the Legacy is far superior than the S4 with 340 horse and qauttro. Now how can you take someone seriously when they say crap like this. Then i told him how Im coming out of a 2004 Volvo S60R, and he said this was far better technology????????????????????

Sorry for the rant, but I really want this car. Can anyone tell me if 375 a month for 12k/36 months sounds with a grand down. Its an atlantic blue manual limited GT with black leather. Is this too much $$$

One more concern, theres a sticker on the window that says date completed 7-29-04. Is this an earlier build, and should that be a concern.

Moderators, please leave this here for a few days so I can get exposure in this higher traffic area. I know it may belong elewhere with the hodge podge of thougts I've ranted about. I thank you in advance.

Guest JessterCPA

That deal does not sound bad.

I got (back in July 2004) an GT, Non-limited, automatic, spoiler, mirror. $1000 down 18k miles/year 36 month for $450/mo. I also got the extended warranty with that also.

True the guy sounds like a schmuck, but do the best deal you can.

The build date shouldn't be a concern. You might try a different dealer. It's hard to quantify lease prices as there are so many unknowns-especially when there are 'deals' from Subaru. A normal loan is cut and dry.

Man I'm glad I got out of leasing vehicles. I dug myself in a big hole for a while and the last 2 I've financed...NO comparison. I'll never lease again.

Before ANY bargaining, I was offered a new LGT Ltd. 5 speed with a few cheap accessories (subwoofer, armrest, etc.) for $375, no money down, including all taxes in the monthly payment. That's for a 39 month, 15k per year lease. So, no, I think you can do better. I would expect to shave at least 5-10% off this figure (or gain the equivalent in accessories) with some bargaining.

-MKL '02 530i (for now)

Guest JessterCPA
The build date shouldn't be a concern. You might try a different dealer. It's hard to quantify lease prices as there are so many unknowns-especially when there are 'deals' from Subaru. A normal loan is cut and dry.

Man I'm glad I got out of leasing vehicles. I dug myself in a big hole for a while and the last 2 I've financed...NO comparison. I'll never lease again.

This is one of those things that is so dependent on the person. I leased my wife's previous car, and it just did not make any sense. Her car was in near perfect condition. So we bought her next car (TSX) and I figure at this rate, we can keep the car for 10 years without any problems. I on the other hand am very rough on my car, so a 36 month lease suits me well. I will have put almost 60,000 hard miles on it. Time to change up. I understand I pay a premium for that, but it makes better overall sense in my case.

Yeah sounds like a bit of a tool to me... The LGT is about as fast as an automatic S4, but the 6spd would tear our doors off and the S4 is prob a bit higher on the lux. As for the volvo, Im pretty sure the LGT is quite a bit faster, but once again Volvo lux would prob kill the LGT.

I bought mine in Canada, a demo w/ 7k on it, but it seems that there are better deals in the US.

Ive seen one place selling a legacy "GTX" that comes w/ some strut bars, borla exhaust and custom interior for under $27,000 usd, might wanna check it out. Anyways its a great car, comfy, looks great, is pretty rare (i dont see many) and is damn fast :)

Before ANY bargaining, I was offered a new LGT Ltd. 5 speed with a few cheap accessories (subwoofer, armrest, etc.) for $375, no money down, including all taxes in the monthly payment. That's for a 39 month, 15k per year lease. So, no, I think you can do better. I would expect to shave at least 5-10% off this figure (or gain the equivalent in accessories) with some bargaining.

-MKL '02 530i (for now)

Good to know, thanks!! This is a good barometer.

I'm sure I could do a search on this, but I hate the fact that this isn't a 6 speed manual. Even lowly jettas and accords have the 6th gear. And the only other thing I hate is the frameless windows on the doors:mad: :mad: WTF was Subaru thinking. I also thought the little warmers under the wipers was really cool!!

Why dont you like the frameless doors? BMW and porsche have been doin it for years... I know they have the lil trick where the window opens and closes slightly when you open and shut the door - really seals you in. In fact if I remember right the old lightbody m3 still had the powerwindows for this very reason. I too would like a 6th gear - but many on here are correct a 6th gear really is just a novelty if the 5mt is geared well. From test driving the LGT 2 times I think the ratios are pretty good. I just want more available addons for the car to come :)

Jeff

What would be the point to a 6spd other than it would put in a lower first gear. the current 1st through 5th would live on virtualy unchanged, just moved one down in the pattern. And the car is a good clutch away from being insane at the drag launches. OK a front LSD and STi 20KG center diff would help....

Guest JessterCPA
Unless the 6th gear is just a deep cruising gear, which makes hours of steady 90+ mph on the interstate a very enjoyable experience. With a 6spd, you can have your cake & eat it too.

I particularly noticed this on my Jetta. I really wanted that extra gear at 85mph or so. The car just felt stressed at that speed in 5th.

I do not notice the same on my LGT with the auto tranny. 80-85 feels nice & calm.

I agree, but in most applications the top gear is not a lot steeper than the top gera of the 5 speed so you just end up with more gerrs in the middle.

Werd - Most peope don't realize this. That sixth gear is NOT just stuck on top of the 5 speed's ratios. Every ratio is lowered to compensate. So in everyday casual driving, you'll just be shifting more. In performance situations, having gears spaced more closely together makes it easier to keep the engine "on the pipe".

Guest JessterCPA
I agree, but in most applications the top gear is not a lot steeper than the top gera of the 5 speed so you just end up with more gerrs in the middle.

True

There are so many tricks to the dealer game......Hit it up at the end of the month, if they are low on numbers, they will give you ANY deal. Always go 1 hour before closing on a fri/sat night. They have to keep 3 people there, sales, Manager, and finance guy......they will want to get home, keep them late they will bend ....so many tricks of the trade.....

Me, I got blessed with my car. For one, a good friend is a manager at Mazda/Subaru......I got an 05 GT LTD for 19k (my trade in was 19k 04 mazda6) long story short I bought an used 03, they totaled it, gave me the 05 for the same price......I'm a lucky F......:D

And always remember, (as firedawg said) there are a million dealers....you can get one of them to hit your projected numbers, as long as they are not just silly.......good hunting....

My last 6spd had very usable gears and a deep 6th. 2nd went to 90, 3rd gear to 120, yet you could cruise at 90 at 3k rpm in 6th. And yes, that was with a 7k redline, not a v8.

I don't know why Subaru gave the car such short gears. It makes the power and the torque for a less-frenzied shift schedule.

Why dont you like the frameless doors? BMW and porsche have been doin it for years... I know they have the lil trick where the window opens and closes slightly when you open and shut the door - really seals you in. In fact if I remember right the old lightbody m3 still had the powerwindows for this very reason. I too would like a 6th gear - but many on here are correct a 6th gear really is just a novelty if the 5mt is geared well. From test driving the LGT 2 times I think the ratios are pretty good. I just want more available addons for the car to come :)

Jeff

I really dislike frameless windows myself too having had an m3 2 door and a 2.5rs. The damned things just rattle. It is simply just a bad design. If i were to ever get another m3 it would be a 4 door because they do have frames on their windows.

Archived