LegacyGT.com

Accessport (or ECU Tune): Worth it for the stock 07/08s?

Ma_USMC

I'm curious as to the effect of the AP on fuel economy and overall performance on the 07/08 LGTs.

I've read a good amount of the traffic here and gleaned that the 07/08s don't react as well to enhancements of the ECU. I'm interested in the degree of

improvements that the AP can make on the stock setup. A lot of the threads here are geared to the 05 owners and I'd like to hear from some of the later model owners what they are seeing with it.

Does it notably increase fuel economy with the economy map? Is it beneficial in other areas of performance?

I'm curious as to the effect of the AP on fuel economy and overall performance on the 07/08 LGTs.

I've read a good amount of the traffic here and gleaned that the 07/08s don't react as well to enhancements of the ECU. I'm interested in the degree of

improvements that the AP can make on the stock setup. A lot of the threads here are geared to the 05 owners and I'd like to hear from some of the later model owners what they are seeing with it.

Does it notably increase fuel economy with the economy map? Is it beneficial in other areas of performance?

Cobb's off the shelf maps aren't that hot, but with a proper custom tune the 07-08's do VERY well. You will pick up a ton of midrange power and the car will spool up a ton faster. I just tuned one last week and on the stock tune torque peaked at around 4200rpm. When I was done it peaked at 3000rpm. This particular car has a full turboback exhaust and gained roughly 50 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels peak to peak. At 3000rpm the difference was well over 100ft/lbs. That is a huge gain in drivability especially around town. The stock tune also knocks quite a bit, so with a good custom tune you gain both power and safety.

I had the same question. I bit the bullet and bought a used one. Should be here next wednesday. I will see then. Oh, I'm just stage one till I get a downpipe, but not doing that till the warranty is up. Another 40k.

wow, ppl are already selling used CANbus APs?

Well, first impressions. I don't drive the car as much as my wife but I drove it today. Obviously I don't know about mileage yet. On the power, the boost stock peaked quickly at 18 then dropped down quick and I did have the studder. Now, the boost will hit 16-17 and will hold close to that longer. Also, I felt no studder. I have not timed it yet so i don't know about that and it will be a while till I have the time to do so. I will report more when I test it more.

When I first tried to start it, it didn't want to start. That worried me, but that was only the first time.

Just so you know the highest the AP will read is 18.5(actually 18.47psi) so you could of been even higher, be careful. You may want to look into datalogging.

Shouldn't the stock map prevent any serious problems?

When I first tried to start it, it didn't want to start. That worried me, but that was only the first time.

I'm not sure if this is in the manual anywhere, but after you flash the ECU it needs time to reboot when you first turn the key. The best thing to do is turn the key to the on position (without cranking the starter) and wait for the the gauges to finish the sweep. After that the car should start right up and you won't get that few seconds of thinking something went wrong.

I wasn't reading it on my ap, it was on my boost guage. Which is accurate as I double checked the 18psi with my autoenginuity software.

Right, but that parameter will still only display a max of 18.47psi. Don't trust gauges, they will never display the same thing as the ecu....

Here's my stock 2007 spec B

http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/images/specb/Dyno/SportSharp.jpg

And on the same dyno, about a year later, here's my Spec B, nothing but AP v2 and a tune.

http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/images/specb/dyno2/07SBs1.JPG

I was pretty pleased with the results.

• 3 months later...
Wow, 35whp gain? That's really good, even if the dyno is reading high.

curious what dyno TDC uses, i when dynoed my stock 07 Spec B on a Mustang, it read about 210-215 whp and about 230 ft lb torque IIRC.

curious what dyno TDC uses, i when dynoed my stock 07 Spec B on a Mustang, it read about 210-215 whp and about 230 ft lb torque IIRC.

Part of the differential could have been ambient air temp on the day our dynos were run, too. When my baseline was done, it was a surprisingly chilly May 5th, barely 60 degrees, if memory serves. 15lb/ft at the wheels is a big difference to be tied to ambient temp though.

Ps.. Yeah, Jimmy Walker was around when I was getting tuned, probably the reason for such good results. He doesn't have much to do these days, so he just hangs around and says 'dyno-miiiiite' at random times.

Archived