LegacyGT.com

Subframe connectors

RangerMan

Short and stupid answer...so I can jack up the car in 10 seconds on each side. (also get the other subframe benefits like stiffer chassis).

I need to pull the plastic off and see if there are decent spots to weld them in that don't involve cutting apart my floorpans (which is what I plan on doing with the Mercury project).

I'll need to do it first! If/When I do I will definitely post some pics!

Got the idea when I went to a track weekend and my friend needed to check out his suspension bolts, etc. under the car. He had each side jacked up in about 3 pumps. Whenever I need to do brakes or rotate tires I swear that it takes me at least 10 minutes of foolin' around before I get the car jacked up and on stands. I think it took my friend 90 seconds.

Those lift bars are pretty cool. But I think some subframes would be cooler. They are also the best beginner welding job you can do because no one will ever see your work :-)

(FWIW I have had about 80 hours of welding experience but never welded on a car, on my back, with the work only 18" from my face...so I will probably do the '64 Mercury first to learn on)

Whenever I need to do brakes or rotate tires I swear that it takes me at least 10 minutes of foolin' around before I get the car jacked up and on stands. I think it took my friend 90 seconds.

This takes longer than 90 seconds but I use my cordless drill (14.4v) to jack up the car. The 19mm socket for the lug nuts fits over the end of the OEM scissor jack. Once the car is up, place the jack stand, reverse the drill to lower the jack for the next corner and repeat. Major time saver. Use the drill to spin on/off the nuts. I can change/rotate the tires (back to front/one side at a time) in ~30 minutes.

This takes longer than 90 seconds but I use my cordless drill (14.4v) to jack up the car. The 19mm socket for the lug nuts fits over the end of the OEM scissor jack. Once the car is up, place the jack stand, reverse the drill to lower the jack for the next corner and repeat. Major time saver. Use the drill to spin on/off the nuts. I can change/rotate the tires (back to front/one side at a time) in ~30 minutes.

is that cordless drill also a Spec B ?

you can jack up the whole front end with the front cross member and the whole rear with the diff i can have my car in the air in less than 2 min. which leaves the four jack points open for jack stands

Archived