LegacyGT.com

How bad did I destroy my clutch?

My wife is launching her new 08 (at almost every stop sign) with a picture perfect rev to 2000-2500 and a very smooth and quick let off of the clutch. No smell.

I'm sure that won't allow the clutch to live as long as if she launched at 1000-1500 rpms, but the car doesn't bog at all and it's so smooth :)

Can anyone tell me if this is how they have launched their car? And if so, how many miles are on that stock clutch?

Joe

I'm goin on my 3rd clutch now, should be here tomorrow, at 36k. Goin to an ACT clutch now. Each stock clutch I had got launched maybe twice.

IMHO the OEM clutches are just junk. Of course you're gonna hear the ppl on here who say "I've got 88k on my first clutch and I launch everyday."

I talked to a guy at Harman Motive, he said he's been through 6 clutches on his leggy. Said the ACT clutch was the only one he's had that's lasted more than 20k. Makes me feel good mine burn up after 15k.

two launches and you destroy your clutch? :confused: Sounds like something else is at play here

Oh man, the warranty story....

My first clutch went out at 14.5k and I took it to the dealer cuz I figured it would be no problem. They knew the 05's had a bad batch of pressure plates and so did I, I figured this was the problem.

They tell me after driving it that the clutch is a wear item and they don't cover wear items. "That's just like if we gave you new brakes every time you needed them." So I got in the warranty manual and showed them where it says "Wear items, including clutch linings, brake pads, wiper blades, etc. are covered for 3/36." I shit you not, the guy said, "That's a typo." So I got on their internet and showed them the same typo online. The guy goes into cover-his-ass mode and says "Well our Subaru rep makes the call all on warranty repairs, I can't do anything."

After some arguing that they basically didn't want to fix it I left. They called me back a few hours later and said they would fix it this one time as a good faith type of deal.

So when my 2nd clutch started slippin at about 30k, I didn't even bother sayin anythin to them and ordered my ACT kit, which just got here today and is waitin to be installed.

My car is lightly modded, Cobb Stage 1 93 AP, catless UP, Cobb crank pulley, K&N intake, wheels, tires, various aesthetic mods.

Nobody drives my car but me, a few friends have and my dad has, but no one that doesn't know how to drive.

I beat on it a little, I know this is why the clutches are dyin, it's just so damn fun to toss around. I also blame the AWD, if it were FWD or RWD, the tires would spin if I dropped the clutch to high rather than the clutch slipping.

After talking to the guy at Harman and hearin about his 6 clutches, I don't feel so bad.

I just tried to launch my car for the 1st time since owning it (at 7K now). I messed up BIG time! I tried to launch at about 6K instead of the 3.5-4K that I was aiming for. The clutch couldn't catch much at all as it basically/almost hit the rev limiter :doh: I got off of it and I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I took a cool down lap around the block as I could barely take a breath with the stink. How bad did I destroy it?

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but you simply glazed the clutch. I did the same thing the 1 and only time I launched the car hard (in a fit of anger). The clutch slipped and chattered all the way home, the next day (after everyting cooled down) everything was fine and has been for over 1 year.

• 1 month later...

FIRST POST

just got my LGT two days ago, already put on rims and better rubber...

i bought my car brand used with 28k miles and the clutch engages almost immediately after i start lifting the clutch pedal! is that normal? do i need to change it out or adjust something? car drives fine and smooth! just wondering if its normal!

other than upgrading the brake pads [any recommendations] i love the car [upgraded from a teg dc2]

any info would help!

??? Why even do it @3.5K? The cars are not made for this abuse.

From my experience, 3.5k is just about perfect. Of course I don't "drop" the clutch, but at this rpm you can engage the clutch such that (at this point rpms may have dropped a bit, but try to keep them above 3k at all times) the load will allow the turbo to spool and if you do this correctly you can be fully spooled in less than a full second.

To the OP: I did what you did with about 6k miles on my car. Its actually better that the clutch slipped because as others have stated if it did grab while your engine was at 6k, you'd probably have some serious problems. The thing to remember is never side-step or drop the clutch and slip it as minimal as possible when launching. You will know when you've done it correctly... because you will launch like a bat out of hell. I wouldn't ever try it above 4krpm.

Practice and if you bog then engage it slower or try a higher rpm. If it slips, engage it quicker or try a lower rpm.

lol

From my experience, 3.5k is just about perfect. Of course I don't "drop" the clutch, but at this rpm you can engage the clutch such that (at this point rpms may have dropped a bit, but try to keep them above 3k at all times) the load will allow the turbo to spool and if you do this correctly you can be fully spooled in less than a full second.

To the OP: I did what you did with about 6k miles on my car. Its actually better that the clutch slipped because as others have stated if it did grab while your engine was at 6k, you'd probably have some serious problems. The thing to remember is never side-step or drop the clutch and slip it as minimal as possible when launching. You will know when you've done it correctly... because you will launch like a bat out of hell. I wouldn't ever try it above 4krpm.

Practice and if you bog then engage it slower or try a higher rpm. If it slips, engage it quicker or try a lower rpm.

And for the record I use this technique quite often and have no problems with clutch at all. 24k miles in. I'm not saying it doesn't reduce the life of the clutch, but it is the best way to minimize wear and still enjoy putting certain people in their place or just showing a passenger why you bought the car ;)

lol

FIRST POST

just got my LGT two days ago, already put on rims and better rubber...

i bought my car brand used with 28k miles and the clutch engages almost immediately after i start lifting the clutch pedal! is that normal? do i need to change it out or adjust something? car drives fine and smooth! just wondering if its normal!

other than upgrading the brake pads [any recommendations] i love the car [upgraded from a teg dc2]

any info would help!

That's the way it should be. At 49k, I'm still on the original clutch (I think... bought it used at 14k) and it's starting to get pretty thin. Mine is engaging almost at the top of the release but is still rock solid with no slippage.

Archived