LegacyGT.com

How bad did I destroy my clutch?

I just tried to launch my car for the 1st time since owning it (at 7K now). I messed up BIG time! I tried to launch at about 6K instead of the 3.5-4K that I was aiming for. The clutch couldn't catch much at all as it basically/almost hit the rev limiter :doh: I got off of it and I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I took a cool down lap around the block as I could barely take a breath with the stink. How bad did I destroy it?

Hey, like I said...wasn't intending to do that. Had it in S# when I usually use S and the rpms jumped more than I thought they would. I was getting onto the crowded highway from a stop sign - needed some pick up. Wasn't racing anyone or trying to be foolish - so no beating on me - I feel bad enough!

I say you just take the car back to the dealership and return it or swap it for a civic, you ricer you! :lol:

I always thought that the legacy flywheel does not like that type of abuse?

X

---

It should be fine, but for the next hundred miles or so make sure you slip it very little and drive it in lots of stop and go traffic. This should help to rough it back up if there is any glazing. Might help.

Mine has been ok and I have done that a couple of times to it accidentally.

Thanks, will do. I scared the daylights out of myself. Glad to see I am not the only one who has messed up like that.

For those who like to criticize - thanks! I didn't feel bad enough about it already! I think a civic is exactly what I need! jerk

Don't you know that every person on this forum is a better driver than Mario Andretti? Even a hint of non-perfect driving technique will bring down the Wrath of LegacyGT.com upon you! :spin:

Glad the clutch survived. I myself am chicken to launch, because I know I'd do what you did...or worse. If I want to accelerate fast, I get a motorycycle, rally car, or F1 car (me and Mario are tight, werd). ;)

And just to put me up to 100 posts (whoopee!) -- I doubt you're alone. If perfect launches were easy, there'd be no need for the new Launch Control feature on the Accessport. Or on rally cars, or F1 cars, and those drivers are professionals...

thanks seb :wub:

I ain't no bully! :lol: when I had my 05 legacy gt 5 speed it happened to me a couple of times. vut seriously have you ever driven a manual civic si? is a totally different feel!

now don't get all butthurt! :lol:

X

---

If you use the clutch right you can get a great turning launch.

If you are too quick to dump it, you kill your drivetrain.

If you are too slow in the application, you experience stink.

If you are WAAAAYYY too slow in the application, you get smoke coming up from under your hood.

The clutch sucks, IMO. It gets rough really easy when it heats up. If I'm in stop and go traffic for more than 15 minutes, it shakes the hell out of the car.

And just to put me up to 100 posts (whoopee!) -- I doubt you're alone. If perfect launches were easy, there'd be no need for the new Launch Control feature on the Accessport. Or on rally cars, or F1 cars, and those drivers are professionals...

Except that they did ban the use of launch control and traction control this year. Going to watch the next race at 13:00 CET.

As for the clutch - you have shortened it's life a bit, but if you are very nice to it for a while it may at least recover the surface. If you don't have any slipping at high gears and maximum torque (wait a few weeks to check this to allow the clutch to roughen up) you are fine.

Subaru has always had a bit weak clutches, but I would still prefer a weak clutch to a broken gearbox... A clutch is not that expensive, the expensive part is the work.

453747.png

Banned launch control and traction control? In rally or F1? I must admit I haven't been a very good fan lately..especially in F1.

Back to topic: I believe Subaru recommends sacrificing a virgin chicken to the Clutch God, Cthlutchopolisotron Prime. ;)

Thanks ehsnils and rangerman - Glad to hear I am not the only one who has messed up like this. I am just going to take it nice and easy for a while as you guys are recommending and then hopefully in a few weeks when I give it some power it won't slip :fingers crossed: If all I did was shorten the life a little bit, I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world (although these clutches don't seem to last that long to begin with) - it'll just cost me a new clutch a bit sooner, could be worse.

My wife is launching her new 08 (at almost every stop sign) with a picture perfect rev to 2000-2500 and a very smooth and quick let off of the clutch. No smell.

I'm sure that won't allow the clutch to live as long as if she launched at 1000-1500 rpms, but the car doesn't bog at all and it's so smooth :)

I'm getting to a point in life where I'd rather drive exactly how I want, using the clutch to keep things smooth, and pay the price in 15k less miles on the clutch than if I'd babied it...

I've driven for too long where I worry every time I launch if I'm hurting the clutch :)

Joe

(p.s. that started from when I was a broke college student buying a $200 ford thunderbird turbo coupe 5-speed with 123k on the original clutch....which I then fried in 15k more miles)

I don't think you destroyed it.

You should watch out though - your drivetrain isn't as strong as you think. Launching the car like that, you'd be lucky if only the clutch broke.

Not sure I entirely agree with this comment. Given the Spec - B nature of the car I think we can all agree that the with the r180 and STi 6 speed, the drive train is stronger than he thinks at stock level. Now I don't think that 6.5k drops every day is a good idea and def. will kill it, but it is truly a stronger drive train and can handle abuse...

Edit: Not trying to start a my is bigger than yours, just up for debate convo.... :)

I'm goin on my 3rd clutch now, should be here tomorrow, at 36k. Goin to an ACT clutch now. Each stock clutch I had got launched maybe twice.

IMHO the OEM clutches are just junk. Of course you're gonna hear the ppl on here who say "I've got 88k on my first clutch and I launch everyday."

I talked to a guy at Harman Motive, he said he's been through 6 clutches on his leggy. Said the ACT clutch was the only one he's had that's lasted more than 20k. Makes me feel good mine burn up after 15k.

Archived