LegacyGT.com

Datalogging w/ Romraider/Enginuity???WTF?

TPLGT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously amazed that people go through all the trouble to save a few bucks. RomRaider's logger is designed to work with the tactrix cable (so is Ecuexplorer). The cable is $80. This is your best bet for compatibility. Not only will you be able to log, you will be read/flash the ECU. Even if you own an Accessport and don't plan on tuning, you can still use Ecuflash and the tactrix cable to back up the Cobb married ROM. That way, if your car is at the dealership for service and they happen to reflash your ECU with a stock ROM (sometimes they will do this without asking or with seemingly unrelated repairs), you won't have to send the ECU back to Cobb to get reflashed.

I'm not familiar with the cheap obdii cords and what may or may not work. Sometimes it is hard to tell and diagnose and separate whether the problems with these cables are due to user error in installing the drivers or just buggy drivers (or incorrect drivers) to begin with.

I got the el cheapo cable from the site listed in post #7 and it worked fine to retreive my (married AP) ROM image last night. Windows recognized it right off and it worked the first time. So <$20 for a cable and free software and you are off and running. Now I just need to get to my LC-1 WB02 installed and integrated so I can log that too.
Let's kick this pig!

I am seriously amazed that people go through all the trouble to save a few bucks.

I don't get it either. I'll admit I first looked into buying an eBay OBDII cable. But then reason hit me pretty quickly. I didn't want driver hassles, laptop hassles, limited capability... A grand for an ECU replacment is a risk I wanted to minimize to boot.

My laptop is almost 10 years old and the Tactrix worked perfectly the first time and every time. The cost differential is only a tank of gas.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I first started with the ebay cord because I had hoped ST was to be released for the APv2. It had its share of cons but I never had a real problem with it, even with my Tactrix sometimes it takes some trickery for it to see the ECU at times.

I've been using my APv1 cable for logging for over a year now. The only reason I got the other cable was that it was cheap. I had tried using a buddies tactrix cable and it was a PITA to get it recognized and then the sofware didn't want to see it after it was installed. The junk eBay one was found instantly by the computer and worked on the first try. What a waste of money:lol:.

It's a cable, do you really think there is an extra $60 worth of material or engineering in the more expensive one?

Let's kick this pig!

I am seriously amazed that people go through all the trouble to save a few bucks. RomRaider's logger is designed to work with the tactrix cable (so is Ecuexplorer). The cable is $80. This is your best bet for compatibility. Not only will you be able to log, you will be read/flash the ECU. Even if you own an Accessport and don't plan on tuning, you can still use Ecuflash and the tactrix cable to back up the Cobb married ROM. That way, if your car is at the dealership for service and they happen to reflash your ECU with a stock ROM (sometimes they will do this without asking or with seemingly unrelated repairs), you won't have to send the ECU back to Cobb to get reflashed.

I'm not familiar with the cheap obdii cords and what may or may not work. Sometimes it is hard to tell and diagnose and separate whether the problems with these cables are due to user error in installing the drivers or just buggy drivers (or incorrect drivers) to begin with.

With me it wasn't a function of being cheap ( hell I scrapped my Ecutek programming b/c I was having problrms)...the Ebbay cable came reccomended byt sevarl members and it worked well for them.

Shoot If I KNEW it was the cable I would gladly spend the coin on a tactrix....I just don't wnat to spend the money to experiment....there are no local LGTers who tune so...I am SOL...

Rehab is for quitters.

I've been using my APv1 cable for logging for over a year now. The only reason I got the other cable was that it was cheap. I had tried using a buddies tactrix cable and it was a PITA to get it recognized and then the sofware didn't want to see it after it was installed. The junk eBay one was found instantly by the computer and worked on the first try. What a waste of money:lol:.

It's a cable, do you really think there is an extra $60 worth of material or engineering in the more expensive one?

Agreed! With me I think there are a few other issues....I am thinking that I may unistall eveything and go from there.

Rehab is for quitters.

The difference is the ability to read/flash the ECU, which the ebay cables won't do and is also why you can't use an AP ver 1 cable to read/flash without the AP hardware. It is not a PITA to install the drivers for the tactrix - you install Ecuflash first, which install the drivers, which is likely what you didn't do first. The point is, there's all these can't connect/sometimes connects/sometimes loses connection threads when people are trying to log with the cheaper cables which could probably be solved by going with the tactrix cable which all the loggers -> RomRaider, EcuExplorer, Ecuedit were designed for and tested successfully by many, many users.

So about 15 minutes ago I said screw it and hooked up the laptop to the ECU...Bingo. Everything up and running. I uninstalled and reinstalled Enginuity..last night.

I was able to log at idle and was set to do some pulls...sweet....not too fast!

I left the driveway and then it shut down...WTF? once again, I come up empty. I guess it's the cable...I have no idea why it would connect sometimes work not at all most others?

I am at a loss.

Rehab is for quitters.

The difference is the ability to read/flash the ECU, which the ebay cables won't do and is also why you can't use an AP ver 1 cable to read/flash without the AP hardware. It is not a PITA to install the drivers for the tactrix - you install Ecuflash first, which install the drivers, which is likely what you didn't do first. The point is, there's all these can't connect/sometimes connects/sometimes loses connection threads when people are trying to log with the cheaper cables which could probably be solved by going with the tactrix cable which all the loggers -> RomRaider, EcuExplorer, Ecuedit were designed for and tested successfully by many, many users.

You're right! Screw it I am ordering the cable tonight....anyone have a link?

Rehab is for quitters.

Sure it will and it did last night on the FIRST TRY!. It dumped my ROM image to my laptop just fine.

Dude, I've got degrees in computer programming and networking(3.96GPA) and actually even wrote installation documentation for a while, so I'm pretty sure about how to install a USB port driver and verify that it's working properly. I'm also well aware of the ordered steps for instalation and use. It just doesn't always work as it should.

My AP cable works fine for Enginuity as a logger, but OpenECU/ECUflash wouldn't pick it up either. It would show up on com port4 but none of the software would actually attach to it. It's as if enginuity laid claims to the APv1 cable and wouldn't let any other apps. use it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the vast majority of those can't connect issues would be user error. Believe me I used to install and even write driver way back in DOS and WIN3.11 before the term Plug and Play was even invented.;)

I personally don't care what cable anybody uses. I'm just stating that the cheap Ebay cable worked fine for me right off after fighting with other cables for months on end.

Let's kick this pig!

Sure it will and it did last night on the FIRST TRY!. It dumped my ROM image to my laptop just fine.

Dude, I've got degrees in computer programming and networking(3.96GPA) and actually even wrote installation documentation for a while, so I'm pretty sure about how to install a USB port driver and verify that it's working properly. I'm also well aware of the ordered steps for instalation and use. It just doesn't always work as it should.

I personally don't care what cable anybody uses. I'm just stating that the cheap Ebay cable worked fine for me right off after fighting with other cables for months on end.

Well, you would be in the minority then as I've seen, by far, the fewest issues from users with the tactrix cable. The tactrix cable is reasonably priced given the components (you can DL the schematics at openecu and determine this for yourself). Plus you are supporting the future development of openecu. The openport 2.0 cable will be available soon and allow for canbus reading/flashing as well as some other cool features like logging to a microsd card (that is, no laptop required). It will be more expensive that the current tactrix cable, but worth it, I think.

I would go with the ebay cable if you are going to do logging only on occasion.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, you would be in the minority then as I've seen, by far, the fewest issues from users with the tactrix cable. The tactrix cable is reasonably priced given the components (you can DL the schematics at openecu and determine this for yourself). Plus you are supporting the future development of openecu. The openport 2.0 cable will be available soon and allow for canbus reading/flashing as well as some other cool features like logging to a microsd card (that is, no laptop required). It will be more expensive that the current tactrix cable, but worth it, I think.

I would go with the ebay cable if you are going to do logging only on occasion.

Well, now that I got that cheapo Ebay cable to work; pretty much all cables work on that laptop now:iam:. They don't even care which USB port they're plugged into either. It even seems to be working properly with my WBO2.

This is not to say that it was my first choice or even a recommedation to others. It was simply my last resort for me and it just happens to work. I will also add that this cable is way too short to connect to a laptop in the passenger seat. You have to use a USB extension cable which is not suggested. I still use my APv1 cable most of the time, but this one has it's place in the collection.

If you are in need of a nice durable and long flashing/logging cable(and only want to buy it once) I would suggest that you go with the Tactrix first. Again, the only resason I eneded up with the Ebay cheapo is that other cables weren't cooperating with my laptop.

Let's kick this pig!

Well, now that I got that cheapo Ebay cable to work; pretty much all cables work on that laptop now:iam:. They don't even care which USB port they're plugged into either. It even seems to be working properly with my WBO2.

This is not to say that it was my first choice or even a recommedation to others. It was simply my last resort for me and it just happens to work. I will also add that this cable is way too short to connect to a laptop in the passenger seat. You have to use a USB extension cable which is not suggested. I still use my APv1 cable most of the time, but this one has it's place in the collection.

If you are in need of a nice durable and long flashing/logging cable(and only want to buy it once) I would suggest that you go with the Tactrix first. Again, the only resason I eneded up with the Ebay cheapo is that other cables weren't cooperating with my laptop.

It's pretty crazy how some cables work for some and not for others. Truly the only cable that worked for is the Tactrix!

Funny you mention the length of the VAG COM cable...it was short as shit and I struggled with it. The Tactrix is just right.

Thanks again for all of the, guys!

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived