LegacyGT.com

2.5i nonturbo is slow

violhence

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"With some basic suspension modifications, you can hang with the big boys"

What kind of big boys? The Ford Focus?

I will agree with this, when I had my 2.5i Se I loved the way it handled. I took it to one of the first backroads drive get together and was leading a pack of GT's. One of them with a stage 2 LGT said he expected to be pushing me out of the way but instead he couldn't keep up. The thing is not power it is how you use that power. The car was totally stock at that time too.

In the LGT in a backroads meet I felt like a noob b.c of how sloppy it felt. I couldn't keep up like I expected to b.c the power means nothing if it doesn't handle well. Now I will admit that my LGT had 50k on the stock shocks with H-techs too and that is not the best setup. I would upgrade but I would rather put that money in to my RSti.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Thanks. They get neglected often being I drive the subie everywhere.

The same thing happened to my m/c when I got the Subie in the summer of '06.:p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Personally, in hindsight I think I'd have been just as happy with an N/A 2.5 as my GT, I just happened to find one with what I thought was a real good price for the miles and went for it... The GT's are quick, but they're not mind blowing by any means. It's definitely a sweet car though, I love it.

Hmmmm... a girl that can drive and has a RSti! Are you hot?

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

LOL I am to my husband so that is all that matters lol. BTW I'm a girl that has a LGT, RSTI and my husbands FXT haha

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got 300 WHP on my 2.5i by putting Care Bear stickers all over the hood.

Happy thoughts...happy thoughts...<rocks violently back and forth>

Just posting to notify those who are debating if they want a turbo vs a non turbo version that the non turbo version is rather slow - especially with all-wheel drive considered.

If you want a car that is fast get a 2006 Nissan Altima SER or something similar which will not cost you a fortune. The NA Legacy has practically 0 parts in terms of performance. So once again, if you like your car to move fast, none of the non-turbo versions are for you

My God, can we get a Sticky on this thread so others can easily see this and be warned???!!!

Should we get Tide to add it to the Front Page News?

Just posting to notify those who are debating if they want a turbo vs a non turbo version that the non turbo version is rather slow - especially with all-wheel drive considered.

If you want a car that is fast get a 2006 Nissan Altima SER or something similar which will not cost you a fortune. The NA Legacy has practically 0 parts in terms of performance. So once again, if you like your car to move fast, none of the non-turbo versions are for you

The Altima is a nice car but whats the use of the extra power if your going to have such bad torque steer.

If you want a car that is fast get a 2006 Nissan Altima SER or something similar which will not cost you a fortune.

The SE-R is in just about the same pricerange as a Legacy GT, not the 2.5. I come from the Nissan crowd and trust me when I say you'd rather own a Legacy GT than an SE-R. Have you even driven one? The 2.5i [that's right, non-GT] would be quicker in just about every aspect except straight-line racing on a sunny day. Twisties, on snow, gravel, rain, regardless, the 2.5i comes ahead. Also, the SE-R is not really worth the premium for "just" an extra gear, extra 10hp, stiffer suspension, different exhaust and bigger rims. All that can be had aftermarket for cheaper and better. SE to SE-R is what GT to Spec.B is :)

I dont think the price is the same at all....I saw a man buy a 2006 with 25k miles on it for about 19 - 20k. You find me a 2006 LGT with 25k on it for 19 - 20k

Thats not too hard to do on this forum.... Just keep your eyes open and the solution will present itself. Most of these people have a little more miles on them, but you can still find low milage for that price, just takes longer.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I dont think the price is the same at all....I saw a man buy a 2006 with 25k miles on it for about 19 - 20k. You find me a 2006 LGT with 25k on it for 19 - 20k

They are still closer in price than your comparison though ;)

Got mine last week. 2006 LGT 25k miles for 20k at a dealership.

• 1 month later...

I chose my n/a legacy for 1.Price 2. Durability/Reliability 3. Gas milage 4.Look and style of the car. IMO the newer legacy is a good looking car that you don't see on every street corner (Nissan Altima/Toyota Camery) and offers a good bang for the $$. I shopped for a few months before deciding on the subie, looked at Saab, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Saturn, & VW. It finally came down to the Subie and the Sabb. The Saab was a 2007 demo 93 sport sedan w/5k miles and almost the same price as the subie ($23,000 drive off vs. $21,000 drive off), it was the only real competition for the subie.

After doing research the subbie won out. Part of my decision making was the fact that there is a Subaru dealership in almost every town in the US, but the same can not be said for Saab, also my insurance rates where over $30.00 a month more for the Saab. The other downsides of the Saab was the idea of replacing the radio (it is intergrated into the dash and doesn't come out), slightly less the gas milage, and the durability of a Saab (everyone has a Saab story).

The Sube is fun to drive, gets decent gas milage, is not seen at every stop light, and is a nice car. The only bad thing about the Legacy is the darn parking brake. I plan on keeping this car for at least the next 6 years and reliability is very important to me.

The reality of buying a car is to buy what you like and what you need, as long as you are happy with your car and can afford the payments then that is all that really matters IMO.

I think the '93-'94 Legacy may be the best built Subaru ever. I miss my pearl white '93 Legacy. It was made of real metal:eek:. Solid metal door handles, heavy gauge body panels, tough seat cloth and even the cup holder was a hunk of steel. That was also when cars were slooooow so 130 hp was actually a reasonable amount of power:lol: I used to drive that thing like a rally car.

The other downsides of the Saab was the idea of replacing the radio (it is intergrated into the dash and doesn't come out

AFAIK Legacy radio is not only integrated with dash but with HVAC controls too.

Krzys

speak for yourself buddy. When i had my 06 2.5i that thing cornered like a champ. With some basic suspension modifications, you can hang with the big boys. Though engine modifications lack for this motor, suspension does not.

Yes, you can indeed polish a turd for a high gloss shine :rolleyes:

Archived