LegacyGT.com

1/4 mile shifting

BigT

So I was messing with another car today and I was wondering where I was supposed to be shifting. If I'm starting from a rolling start, do I shift at red line or where the max power was put out on my dyno reading?

Also, as a side note, my max power on the dyno sheet was at 5200 rpm in 3rd gear. Is it the same in all the gears, and the same max power in all gears? For example, if I had 250whp in 3rd would I have 250whp in my max output in 1st?

Ideally, the shift should occur so that when you engage the next year, it rpm is at the peak torque.

I knew it! The Legacy GT actually can travel thru time!!! It's that fast!!!1

:lol:

You want the average hp in the gear range you are using to be the highest. This almost always means above peak hp.

Assuming the hp curve looks symmetrical you would shift at the rpm above peak hp that causes the next gear to be at the same rpm difference below peak hp. That is on over-simplification, but I hope it helps.

Yes

Have you ran your car?

MY car made 263awhp before the cbe install and if I shift at redline, i am slower than shifting at 6000 in 1st and 2nd, 6200 in 3rd.

Those shift point netted me 12.95@106.6

Yes, I have well over 500 tripsdown the 1320, with about 65 in the lgt.

No, I haven't run on a dragstrip before. I always shifted at or near redline if I was running hard. You are much more well versed in drag racing than I so I'll defer to your answer.

Dipping into the 12s is always a great time to celebrate. Those are some nice numbers!

In my (feeble) defense...the OP asked if he should shift at redline or where the dyno runs max power was generated (5200 in his case)...and given those two choices the answer would be redline.

I will only reline first at the strip and that is only because it comes so fast. Keep the shifts around 6000rpms with a max of 6300rpms, that has netted me the best results. After 4800rpms or so the psi is dropping off HARD on the stock vf40.

Have you ran your car?

MY car made 263awhp before the cbe install and if I shift at redline, i am slower than shifting at 6000 in 1st and 2nd, 6200 in 3rd.

Those shift point netted me 12.95@106.6

Yes, I have well over 500 tripsdown the 1320, with about 65 in the lgt.

Thanks! I'm assuming you're stage II.

How did you arrive at those numbers? Guess and check?

I will only reline first at the strip and that is only because it comes so fast. Keep the shifts around 6000rpms with a max of 6300rpms, that has netted me the best results. After 4800rpms or so the psi is dropping off HARD on the stock vf40.

Alway thought you ran a larger than stock turbo...

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

^^^^Exactly how I shifted with the stock turbo. Now I will hold 1st to almost 7K, then 6500 in 2nd, 6000 in third. Shifting at 6k in third nets a rush of speed in 4th.

Thanks! I'm assuming you're stage II.

How did you arrive at those numbers? Guess and check?

basic stage 2

tdc map

aem cai

perrin catted dp

mr cat back

invidia up pipe

cobb crank pulley

After looking at my dyno graph, thats when I decided to keep the rpms down. I tried flat foot shifting, but it didnt work out to well. Stupid stock clutch

Archived