LegacyGT.com

Poll - 5EAT Problems

botbs

Let's share your experience on your 5EAT =)  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Let's share your experience on your 5EAT =)

• Stock – Stock 5EAT Failed, need a rebuild or warranty
    • Stage 1 – Stock 5EAT Failed, need a rebuild or warranty
    • Stage 2 – Stock5EAT Failed, need a rebuild or warranty
    • Stage 2+ – Stock 5EAT Failed, need a rebuild or warranty
    • Stock – Stock 5EAT Okay, yeah !
    • Stage 1 – Stock 5EAT Okay, yeah !
    • Stage 2 – Stock 5EAT Okay, yeah !
    • Stage 2+ – Stock 5EAT Okay, yeah !

Okay, what do you guys/gals describe as "slip" tell me how you KNOW for sure you have slip. Just curious, my dyno looks funny and I am trying to determine if it mechanical, because all the Datalog looks good. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2005 Legacy GT Wagon - 5EAT

Modifications: None

Driving Habits: Spirited driving, usually in Sport mode, some manual use. No launching or abuse.

Transmission Status : Okay!

Current Millege: 50,000 miles

Okay, what do you guys/gals describe as "slip" tell me how you KNOW for sure you have slip. Just curious, my dyno looks funny and I am trying to determine if it mechanical, because all the Datalog looks good. Let me know what you think.

slipping as in when the car goes to switch gears it doesn't shift right away, it's a delay and slowly goes into gear. once it goes into gear, it kinda clunked into place.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

slipping as in when the car goes to switch gears it doesn't shift right away, it's a delay and slowly goes into gear. once it goes into gear, it kinda clunked into place.

I don't think I am experiencing anything like that.:confused: This 380 pulls hard up top, no trouble getting to 120 like with the VF40. Just feels way boggy down low with the lag, but I think it'll take some getting used to. 275/275 on mustand dyno. I didn't want to post that but I figured the mustang is a little underated. That torque should be MUCH higher.

05 LGT Brady Wagon

Modifications: Stage I with base map 117a for about 2 weeks. RaliTEK trans mount bushing begging to get installed.

Driving Habits: Spirited driving at times with some manual use. Lately trying to save expensive gas......:confused:

No launching or abuse.

Transmission Status : Okay so far..............

Current Mileage: 44,800 miles

I don't think I am experiencing anything like that.:confused: This 380 pulls hard up top, no trouble getting to 120 like with the VF40. Just feels way boggy down low with the lag, but I think it'll take some getting used to. 275/275 on mustand dyno. I didn't want to post that but I figured the mustang is a little underated. That torque should be MUCH higher.

what boost were you running? Remember, i ran 238/231 on that same mustang dyno running 15.5 psi. ;) numbers don't always tell the whole story when it comes to our 5EATs.

what boost were you running? Remember, i ran 238/231 on that same mustang dyno running 15.5 psi. ;) numbers don't always tell the whole story when it comes to our 5EATs.

I agree, I am running 18.5 boost, with plenty of room. The damn EAT is killing me, I'm not worried about the #'s. Truthfully, even Jared admits it runs low. Their race Impreza dyno'd 486 then 2 miles later in California (trailered) it ran 517 on another. Obviously the ratios/percentages are a little different with mine vs theirs. But the damn crappy dynograph is killing me, is it lag, slippage, crappy gas? I don't know. But hell it pulls up top, that I am impressed with.

was this on PDXs Mustang?

welcome to the lack of numbers 5eat club ;)

Mike

Oh yeah, this is a heartbreaker dyno...this is my second protune by Jared he did my stage II as well. I like the results though. Just a little funny on torque curve.

STI's baseline, 245ish on the PDX Mustang these days? Or so says nasioc?

So you're up at least 40, plus the 5eat drivetrain loss, so you're looking awfully strong ;)

I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much, with the 380 you're probably doing pretty damn good.

The chart will probably reveal more, but perhaps jarrad tuned it a bit less aggressively down low for the sake of the auto? I know mine isn't all out tuned down low to help save the auto....

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

STI's baseline, 245ish on the PDX Mustang these days? Or so says nasioc?

So you're up at least 40, plus the 5eat drivetrain loss, so you're looking awfully strong ;)

I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much, with the 380 you're probably doing pretty damn good.

The chart will probably reveal more, but perhaps jarrad tuned it a bit less aggressively down low for the sake of the auto? I know mine isn't all out tuned down low to help save the auto....

Mike

jarred is smart with his EAT tunes. I am not at all worried about the low #'s. A full stage II STi makes 270 on that dyno (from the mouth of Jarred himself), so well you know what that means.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but I'm at work right now. I will post plot and video in a day or so. It just has a long weird downward curve in the torque, then slowly starts to move back up at about 4400 in third.

I am guessing this is the TC locking up, most 5EAT dyno plots I have seen with whp and wtq plotted against RPM have a wierd loop in the graph where the TC is locking up.

Slipping is a whole other thing. The best I can explain it is that it feels like staying on the throttle in a MT car and disengaging the clutch where you get a rapid spike in RPM and no power put to the ground. In my car 3-4 and 4-5 shifts at full throttle I was getting a rapid spike in RPM to 6000RPM+ and no acceleration. So far the IPT VB mod has fixed this though I am probably still seeing heavy clutch pack wear and tear (time will tell).

So far the poll is telling us that our 5EAT isn't that bad. Not bad meaning our 5EAT does not behave like a "tofu" that it will break in no time with little mod.

Now I can sleep better because I always dream I have to ask for a line of credit just to fix the transmission. Hahhahaa....

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had my car long enough to enter a response to this thread (I purchased it in February), but the slush-box isn't making me very comfortable; but then again this is the first car I have ever owned with an automatic. The tranny seems to hang in gear during normal driving and especially so when it's cold, and the up-shift is not smooth. It seems to go away after the car has been driven for a 1/2 hour or so which just doesn't seem correct to me.

My car (2005 LGT Wagon) is at 31K now so I'm affraid I'm going to have to pull the trigger and get the tranny flushed at the 30K service. I sure hope that helps.

The AT will not upshift beyond I believe 3rd while cold to held get the engine up to operating temp quickly to limit emissions. The transmission control unit (TCU) receives input from accelerometers as well as throttle position I think, and will hold gears during spirited driving. The TCU also is adaptive to your driving style. Since you haven't owned it that long yet it may still be "unlearning" the previous owner and "learning" your style.

Disconnecting the battery resets the ECU, but I don't know if it has the same effect on the TCU.

A flush of the ATF would be wise. Does the fluid look dark and/or smell burnt? Do you really know how the previous owner treated the car?

06 5EAT

36,5xx

stage I (cobb 91octane 1.16 w/ 1.16 RT map) - avo filter

no problems yet, however I heard some wierd noises on my way to work this morning... more 'clunking' than usual going into gear when cold (it's snowing and chilly)... i'll see what happens during lunch.

brian

The AT will not upshift beyond I believe 3rd while cold to held get the engine up to operating temp quickly to limit emissions. The transmission control unit (TCU) receives input from accelerometers as well as throttle position I think, and will hold gears during spirited driving. The TCU also is adaptive to your driving style. Since you haven't owned it that long yet it may still be "unlearning" the previous owner and "learning" your style.

Disconnecting the battery resets the ECU, but I don't know if it has the same effect on the TCU.

A flush of the ATF would be wise. Does the fluid look dark and/or smell burnt? Do you really know how the previous owner treated the car?

Thank you for the info on TCU, I was not aware it was adaptive.

The ATF is not dark, but it's not as clear as I'd like it to be - it definetly has a few miles on it. I purchased the car from a dealer in CT so I have no idea how the previous owner treated and drove it.

2005.5 Legacy GT Sedan - 5EAT

Bought the car at 31k Miles on it

Modification:

At 38000 miles- stage 1 reflash.

At 41,000 miles - Stage 2:

-Dc Sports Flex up-pipe

-Invidia Catted Down-pipe

-TruCool 4458 Tranny Cooler

-Rallitek 5eat Street Bushing

-X02 Mid and Y / Stock Mufflers

-Perrin Afta Maf Hose / Avo Panel Filter / Cobb Radiator Shroud

-Perrin TMIC / Cobb Heat Shield

-Domtune Stage 2(still tweaking)

Driving Habits: Spirited, Only 3 Brake Launches before going stage 1, none after.

Transmission Status : Okay

Current Mileage: 42,000 miles

Maintenance: Tranny flush and fill with OEM ATF at 41k.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• 2 months later...

Thread revival. I did not vote yet because I will be able to vote on Stage 2 soon but not now since I just modded.

2005 Legacy GT Sedan 5EAT

Modifications:

At 40000 miles, Stage 1 Cobb, no tranny cooler, everything stock

Ran Stage 1 for a year [16000 miles], no issues.

I will update mine:

2005 5EAT Sedan

49,000 miles

back to stock since 48,800 miles

Stock Tranny and VB with only 14K miles

So far so good, driving somewhat agressive and an occassional track event.

• 3 months later...

Archived