LegacyGT.com

Brake Caliper Rebuilds

PhilT

Do any of the vendors here offer caliper rebuilds on an exchange basis ?

Swapping out the rotors today I noticed that the rubber boots are perished and craking, and the pistons don't look to good either.

There are plenty of places that I can take them to, but I can't be without the car for more than a day, so it would be nice to have someone ship me a set of nicely rebuilt calipers and I'll return my old ones.

On the other hand, has anyone rebuilt them themselves ?

• 4 months later...
you can buy new boots and replace them yourself. Not sure about pistons.

You can order the pistons, but they might be hard to source. I placed an order with PremiereSubaruParts.com but I ended up canceling. The rears are in the country, but the fronts had to come from Japan.

I also have F&R rebuild kits, which are new boots for the cylinders and slider pins.

Where can I find these rebuild kits at? Thanks

You can find them from any dealer that sells parts online such as SubaruWRXParts.com or PremiereSubaruParts.com.

Front rebuild seal kit: 26297AG000

Rear rebuild seal kit: 26697FC000

These do not include the brake caliper pistons.

• 7 months later...
bumping this thread to see who has done a rebuild. I'm debating between new calipers or doing a rebuild.. I have never done a rebuild before so I am not sure how difficult it is or what's involved. Is there a place where we can source new pistons for the stock calipers?

I haven't rebuilt Subaru calipers, but I've rebuilt the calipers on my Honda sportbike and it wasn't a problem.

Just for reference on the general process: Pull the calipers, remove bolts holding halves together, I wrapped each side in a towel and used compressed air to pop the pistons out of the caliper (remember to wrap them because they pop out fast!). From there it was just inspecting the pistons for wear (none noted after 17k HARD miles on steet & track), then removed the seals from the caliper and scrubbed everything with a toothbrush and mild soap solution, then rinsed and blew out with compressed air to be sure all the water was gone (think I even doused them with isopropol alcohol to remove water as well and hit with comp air again). I let them sit to air dry for a while also for any other trapped water to evaporate.

Reinstall involved dipping the seals & pistons in new brake fluid and putting them in (acts as a lube), pistons can be a little bit of a pain to push back in (aligning correctly to the cylinder walls as you push), but only hand pressure was needed to do it using a small block of wood wrapped in a towel.

After the calipers were rebuilt and mounted back on the bike, I learned a hard lesson quick when trying to bleed them, use a big syringe to prefill the calipers with brake fluid up to the bleeder screw hole, then install bleed screws & proceed to bleed the brakes (makes starting the bleeding process much quicker).

Debating the same. I track my car sometimes and I don't want to go cheap. May just buy new OEM calipers. Would consider switching capilers to Wilwood or something, but I have tons of pads on the shelf (like $600 worth).

Fred Bean's is good to work with for parts too.

Archived