LegacyGT.com

Anyone Driven a Legacy and a BMW?

I test drove an '06 325xi about 3 weeks after buying my '08 3.0R. My wife was interested in it, so we drove my Subie there for comparison. Although my 3.0 is indeed slower than the LGT, it kicked the BMW squarely in the behind.

The Beemer's interior was VERY subdued, almost to the point of being minimalist (it did not have Nav). The controls were nicely placed and the seats comfortable, but it just lacked the feel of my Scoobie. I do agree the new Beemers are nice, but, at the end of the test drive, my wife walked away feeling my car was smoother, tighter and faster (the latter by a significant degree).

The standard LGT has a softer suspension than the Spec or 3.0, but can be easily made very nice with a set of quality sway bars (under $400) and better tires.

Truth be told though, the initial hit for depreciation has already been taken by the Bimmer, NOT the Scoobie.

If you plan on owning the car beyond the lease period, buy the Subaru. If it's a 2-3 year car, you'll need to decide if it's the BMW legend you buy into, or the fanatical community of crazy Subaru owners. BTW, if you buy the LGT, you WILL be compelled to mod it!

Good luck! Keep the dirty side down.

+1 on the above. I love German handling ala BMW. But a little money can do the same to the Subie. The current retail for a 2005 xi wagon is about 22,000. Guess what a good Subie 2005 MT wagon is selling for??:lol:

I cross shopped the XI and am glad I picked the Scoobie.:) BTW, Since it was a 2005 leftover( sept 2005), I paid 24k for the car. Talk about minimal depreciation!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone here who has either owned both cars or driven them significantly? How does the handling differ from say a 3 series bmw? I know BMW has that brand name but is the driving experience really even better?

I have both. My SpecB is my first Subaru. I own/owned a 328, 525, 535, X5 and an X3 is on the way. The Suby is nice but really - there is no comparison. Especially now more than ever since BMW has included maintanence! That saves a bundle.

Wait till the 1 series is out, then decide.

Bill

I think it was R&T that did a comparo of AWD sedans. The bimmer barely(325xi) placed in the top half at third with the 06 specb placing second right behind the audi 2.0T A4. Basically they loved the specb for its sleeperness and such (not to mention it spanked everybody in performance by a HUGE margin!!!). They HATED the bimmer's handling claiming the awd version is a world of difference from its rwd brother and that the awd wrecked the handling of a finely balanced rwd platform "this was the most un-BMW-like 3 Series we can remember driving". Subaru loved the article so much they had them in the dealerships for a while.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=3280&page_number=1

Anyways, that is a professional opinion. My opinion is legacy...but if I could afford it I would be in a rwd limited slip 335i in a heartbeat. My fav car out right now (just get some snow tires for winter). I mean cmon, all of the torque showing up at 1400rpm! Its like a freaking diesel that revs to 7 grand....

I don't regret the legacy one bit at all...I still do the triple look over the shoulder everytime I get out and walk away from her!

They did look like MK 1 boxters and they were non-s. I passed both of them on the straightaway at Summit Point where I hit a top speed of around 117 mph. I suspect that they couldn't keep up on the turns because they were terrible driver but the terrible driver award went to the white 911 driver (late-70's). Sure, it was the beginner group but the guy in the white 911 was terrible.

The 335 has so much torque/power that the added weight and drivetrain sap doesn't affect it's acceleration too much. I've heard of it doing amazing things on a track too, without the sport suspension (which, again, does not come on it....at least in the sedan, not sure about the coupe).

But the OP wasn't talking 335.

BTW, Oddseth, if you were beating boxsters on a track (i'll go ahead and assume 97-01 boxsters), then you are right....they weren't being driven right :) Those things are unbelievable in the turns (in the old, not S versions)...and they aren't too shabby with acceleration between 50-100.

Joe

Anyone here who has either owned both cars or driven them significantly? How does the handling differ from say a 3 series bmw? I know BMW has that brand name but is the driving experience really even better?

Subarus/BMWs have driven:

'80 BMW 528i

'89 BMW 325i

'89 BMW 525i

'89 BMW 750il

'90 BMW M5

'94 BMW 540i

'95 BMW 325is

'95 BMW 740i

'96 BMW 750il

'98 BMW M3

'98 BMW 750il

'85 Subaru GL wagon

'89 Subaru Loyale wagon

'02 Subaru WRX

'06 Subaru WRX TL

'07 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Subarus/BMWs have owned:

'80 BMW 528i

'95 BMW 325is

'96 BMW 750il

'07 Subaru Legacy GT Limited.

I actually had the 325is right before the LGT. This is the first and last Subaru I will own. OP: if you are used to BMW, you may be disappointed. I will be buying BMW for my next car because they are much more my taste. My complaints about the leggy are pretty nit-picky with the exception of one thing: The terrible WOT stutter I have had to live with the last year, which has left me with a terrible impression of the brand... I would have kept my pristine condition 325is if I had only known.

And oddly enough, I was actually thinking about an '04 330xi for my next car.

Im trying to compare a new Subaru Legacy GT 2008 lease to a semi used (2006) bmw 325xi (awd)(not a lease). I know the legacy is ALOT faster but is the legacy a great driving experience besides performance numbers?

They are both going to cost me around the same amount I have driven BMW's all my life and love them but have been contemplating switching over to a Legacy. My concerns are if whether or not BMW's are really that much better or aren't they?

Get a slightly use LGT/Spec B and spend the money saved on better tires, few suspension mods and to go to Stage 2 and live happily ever after

u'll have:

-a faster car than a bmw

-that handles almost as well

-that has awd security

-better reliability

-none of the snob factor

-a hardcore enthusiast cult

-and more mod potential

-to get u smiling everytime you drive it.

cheers

My complaints about the leggy are pretty nit-picky with the exception of one thing: The terrible WOT stutter I have had to live with the last year, which has left me with a terrible impression of the brand... I would have kept my pristine condition 325is if I had only known.

With all the driving/ownership experience under your belt, i would think you would hv researched the issue by now on this site and figured out the solution the AP offers.

cheers

With all the driving/ownership experience under your belt, i would think you would hv researched the issue by now on this site and figured out the solution the AP offers.

cheers

I'd figure subaru would have fixed it with the car being our for 3 years and complaints a'plenty. It is unacceptable for a stock car. That said, stock LGT, WTF?

cheers

The AP was released only a short while ago for the '07s. I am hesitant to flash because of the slight chance of it voiding my warranty. I plan on taking it to the dealer for a flash next oil change (I've read of them being somewhat effective from what I have researched on this site). I've been researching both these options since before they were options. :)

Regardless of that, my point was that I have had no solution to a big issue with the car for the majority of my ownership experience.

All the comparisons to the 330i 6mt are pretty useless as the op is directly comparing a used 06 325xi auto to a new lgt 5eat or 3.0R.

I have not driven a new 330i or 300xi, but I wouldn't doubt them to be a better performing vehicles. Stutter or no stutter, the lgt is going to offer better performance and a better driving experience, with better reliability and safety to boot.

I don't want to knock the "fine german engineering", but I have never been overly impressed with the fit and finish and feeling in the pants with any bmw, including m3, z4, m coupe, x3, and mini cooper-s. Granted it's taken Subaru a long time to catch up, save for a few annoyances or missing luxury features, they have done a wonderful job on the lgt.

My coworker has a 335xi and its pretty damn sweet.

Stock vs. stock, I think I like the BMW more. Definitely more power, and a much nicer suspension from the factory. But, with all my mods and for auto-x, I'd keep my LGT. I know I wouldn't auto-x the BMW, even if it is quick.

Maybe when I get a dedicated "race" car I'd consider a 335xi for myself.

Ever driven either car?

I have driven every BMW made over the past 8 years (except M-series)... at Susan G. Komen annual event and during other test drives (dealers, friends). I also owned a 1996 528i 5spd. Drove the crap out of them every time and loved it!

These cars are so well balanced; even the "small" engine versions handle and steer like a dream (BMW 318i comes to mind). High speed stability and comfort are world apart from any Subaru product (my LGT included) that I had driven, let alone any American made car (short of the Vette). I have many times been north of 120mph on my 'private' test track in the 3-series, 5-series, 6-series, 7-series, Z-series, and X-series. They feel great at any speed. My favorite three BMWs after driving them repeatedly are: 335i, 550i, and 750i, in that order. However, most of them are very costly to purchase and maintain past the warranty. But they remain very solid and composed even after many years and miles. Their depreciation (%) is the least out of any German make. Most of their interiors are what you might call "understatedly elegant," but they are ergonomic and functional.

I own a Legacy GT, mainly because it was the best bang for the buck in the US marketplace. In most other countries, the price difference between Subarus and comparable BMWs is a lot less significant. I could not find a BMW that would offer the engine (turbo), and drivetrain that I desired at the time at a reasonable cost. I am VERY happy with my LGT and its 360whp, combined with a utility of a wagon. The car rocks for what I have invested in it. There was really nothing else (new) like that on the market in 2005 - a manual, turbocharged, wagon, with AWD.

But all in all, if cost was not a concern, and as my personal/financial situation improves with time and experience, I would pick an equivalent BMW (or Audi) over a Subaru. Personal choice, I simply love some Bimmers. And a new STI's $38k MSRP would easily sway me into purchasing a stripped 335i.

^ So you haven't driven a Spec.B? With your BMW experience, it would be interesting to read your impressions should you ever get the chance to try it. There was a noticable handling difference between the LGT and the Spec. when I compared them. I test drove the LGT first and pretty much crossed it off my list. Then I came across the Spec.B and the rest is history.

^ So you haven't driven a Spec.B? With your BMW experience, it would be interesting to read your impressions should you ever get the chance to try it. There was a noticable handling difference between the LGT and the Spec. when I compared them. I test drove the LGT first and pretty much crossed it off my list. Then I came across the Spec.B and the rest is history.

There is a guy in town that has an '06 Spec B. I'll try to convince him to let me drive it :lol:

However, hardly anything on my LGT is stock... coilovers, sways, LCA bushings. The car handles great, but there are other things that determie how a car feels when driving: steering, balance, weight distribution etc.

I will repeat myself, my LGT is a great car for what it costs. Does many things very well. I smile every time I fire mine up! I grin from ear to ear whenever my boost kicks in and the tires break loose! But it is not king of cars, it just fits the bill right now ;)

I drive an E92 335i coupe, and bought my wife a 2008 Legacy Limited base engined car last October.

For the price, the Subaru is a great car, great value, and the handling is much better than I was led to believe from what the xi CA had to say. Out of curiousity after that, I did go out and try a Spec B to compare to my 335. Unfortunately, I probably have had too much time behind the wheel of the 335, so it was a bit unfair to the Spec B.

The problem in Canada is that Subaru's prices are too high for the content... but so are BMW's. In the US, it would be a tougher decision to choose, as the price point makes it a more attractive package. In fact, I did buy my wife's new Subaru in the US, verses getting her an xi locally.

There is always a bit of cross fan mis-information in these types of surveys.. things posted elsewhere in the thread like RWD is useless in snow.. True, I do prefer the Subaru when it looks real bad, but otoh the 335 has no trouble getting up the mountain on it's winter boots either. You just have to know how to drive in that stuff. Not that big a deal with all the modern goodies.. ;)

http://www.rceheli.com/main/Images/335_snowboots.jpg

Im trying to compare a new Subaru Legacy GT 2008 lease to a semi used (2006) bmw 325xi (awd)(not a lease). I know the legacy is ALOT faster but is the legacy a great driving experience besides performance numbers?

They are both going to cost me around the same amount I have driven BMW's all my life and love them but have been contemplating switching over to a Legacy. My concerns are if whether or not BMW's are really that much better or aren't they?

Drive them both yourself. The difference is whatever you experience it to be. If 10,000 other people say there's a difference, but you don't experience one, what really matters TO YOU?

learned to drive manual on my friends 05 bmw 325xi.

lgt hands down

-bimmer was a dog

-interior seems cheaper then lgt to me

-no power passenger seat

-awd in the lgt much better, no waiting to slip until grip

-everyone has the cheap 32x series and then think they are upperclass for some reason?

-disliked shifter, but tranny was nice

-my lgt has been reliable as hell, stage 2 and it hit 7k at least once a week :)

-only postive thing i can say is it handled better stock but thats it, i would never ever buy a bmw 3 series anything, m3 doesnt and the 335i dont count

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The Legacy may be superior in many ways, but it will never match the Bimmer's steering feel, gearbox, and overall connection to the road. The driving experience is much more rewarding in the E46. But still, given the choice, I'd pick an LGT simply because I live where it snows for half the year.

You need to look at the price differences between a 3-series and Legacy to make the comparison. BMW's have gotten pretty expensive in recent years. If I wanted to spend in the mid-$40s, I would go BMW all the way. I personally woudn't buy a Subaru STI in that price range.

Although I love my '08 2.5i Limited, I bought it for price, AWD, interior features, safety and economy for under $23K. BMW can't touch that car and I also think they have trouble against the more powerful Legacys, value-wise. Also, if you build out a 1 series BMW with features comparable to a Subaru, you're already in the mid- to upper-$30s, you probably won't get much of a dealer discount and you can't get AWD -- at least not yet. Yes, you can buy a base 1 coupe for $28,995, plus shipping, but you're not going to get the interior comforts of the Subaru or the performance of an LGT or 3.0. My feeling is that people who would buy a base 1 want the nameplate more than anything else.

Subaru's advantage is primarily in delivering a very good car for a modest price. When I plugged in my needs -- AWD sedan (no crossover or SUV), five-star crash rating, leather and a lot of interior features, good looks, regular gas, good fuel economy, low price --only the Legacy turned up on the radar screen. But when the pricing goes up into BMW territory and you're willing to give up some economy (as you would do with an LGT or 3.0), BMW wins IMHO. Also, you have to look at resale value. I haven't checked, but I would bet a 328ix holds a higher percentage value than an LGT or 3.0.

Archived