LegacyGT.com

Rattle on roll-off

SlightlyEvil

Car is 2005, 5mt, Stage 2, MR Catback, MR up-pipe, Invidia DP.

When I roll off from a stop in first gear I hear a rattle noise coming from behind the stereo area, can't tell if it's infront or behind the firewall (engine bay or trans) though. Car performs well otherwise, no clutch issues, no grinding, just this light but noticable rattle noise in first gear when I roll off. Only hear it on first gear pulling away from stop, no issues once clutch is fully engaged in first or shifting to/in other gears. Transmission makes the usual whine in first and second others have mentioned, but don't think that is related.

Thoughts?

I have the same exact issue, Dealer said it was my clutch going (hot spots on clutch)

replaced clutch...still have the issue

mine almost feels like it is under the driver side wheel well

dealer has no idea of what it is.

I'm wondering if it's actually something to do with a bushing or mount somewhere? It seems like it only does it when the engine loads up. Perhaps an endlink or a transmission mount that is rattling a bit? It's a pain to diagnose because you'd need to have your head under the car to find the source while its in motion and putting the engine under load. If a 5eat is hearing the exact same thing i wouldn't imagine it's the tranny then.

Anybody else?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Mounts/bushings/heatshields

Come loose with time and sometimes rattle under unique harmonics.

One of the most shocking rattles I ever saw was when my wife's 2003 Saturn Ion, with 36k miles and 3 years on it, had somehow torn a 1-8"- 1/4" thick exhaust heatshield in half and the halves were rattling against each other. Thing was freaking thick solid metal. I just pushed them an additional 1/2" apart and let them vibrate freely :)

Joe

Archived