LegacyGT.com

Development study: JDM bezel conversion.

HighlineCA

tdoggy - Ill see what I can do about getting them produced for us. Although our primary focus will be the JDM bezel. I will have plenty of time during the Audi build to find a company that can manufacturer them to our pecifications. Will keep you updated.

*Rubs hands together* Anyone else interested in this? My only concern is that, since my job requires travel, I may need to take the plunge and get my own Parrot setup and skip messing with the nav and nav bezel. :confused:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Rubs hands together* Anyone else interested in this? My only concern is that, since my job requires travel, I may need to take the plunge and get my own Parrot setup and skip messing with the nav and nav bezel. :confused:

I am interested too. I am hoping sub-$100 or so for it? Don't know if that is realistic or not.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.photodump.org/stored3/booya.JPG

I'm about to pull the trigger on just a Parrot install to get Bluetooth. But this is a sweet setup and if a company could sell LHD modified nav bezels, they could make a killing. Makes no sense to me to have a nav/radio in the bezel in addition to the stock radio in the console - not a clean install in my opinion.

that's been covered in another thread but its very similar to what highline is doing, maybe even done by him? I dont recall.

Sebbery's work is good on this screen, I've tried working with the cubby and its not easy to make it look good. Other than the color Sebbery's looks very good.

that being said, it not looking stock is the exact reason I scrapped my cubby pocket screen project.

this is of course a very long winded commentary version of SUBSCRIBE.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

the main screen is the highline audio double din, I got it on the 1st gb so the price wasnt too bad. I did the top screen myself. it was fairly easy

The top screen is just a cheap $120 power acoustic 7" touch screen. I got the touch screen so that way I had a way of turning it on and off when the power button is not accessible.

I got the USDM navigation bezel.

Filled in the hole with fiberglass bondo

Sanded

Filled

Sanded

then painted ultra flat black was my 1st time doing it I thought it came out well

the nav screen price was 75 shipped from subaruparts.com The bracket to hold it in place is just a thin piece of metal w. 4 L brackets screwed into the vents with small screws. It holds it perfectly in there, the hardest part is lining it up so the screen isnt off centered.

From HighlineCA in another thread. Time to stop holding breath for this thing ...

Yes that was definately our fault on jumping the gun. We were hoping our connection inside Kenwood, would be able to fetch us the build manual on the JDM piece. He came through with some info, but none of it panned out. The JDM bezel, as this point, is a dead mod for us. We are working on bringing a manufacturer on board and building it in collaboration.

More info will be posted as it comes along. We are NOT ditching the whole LGT projects. They will be back in full force as we figure it out.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Yes you are correct about the JDM piece. But we ARE NOT stopping the developement of the hvac/bezel mod and possibly continue on with the factory upgrade. With some of the ideas thrown around, the hvac/bezel mod will become a kit manufactured, instead of custom, hand built.

We are trying our best. If you can help with development, please step forward and lend a hand. We are not engineerers by any means. I do not see us as failing, but definately learning more about an electronic component, noone knows about.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

at least perservence is something you guys know a lot about. im proud to say that you have done a lot for the community. I wish I could help somehow with this, but definitly not an electric wiz. by anymeans. lol

although I've had various ideas. most people want to put an aftermarket unit their to do away with the HVAC all in one unit and we are stuck with it all being one unit. so here are some of my ideas is there any way that instead of doing the HVAC circuit board surgery you were able to just keep the circuit board but remove all of the radio components and then angle the circuit board down flat and then replace the heating/ac unit buttons and display somewhere else. like if the buttons and display could be custom mounted to a different bezel while the HVAC circuitry was just layed parellel to the ground underneath and aftermarket stereo. to explain with slightly more clarity my idea, I've seen pictures were different car guys routed the controls of their ac/heat units to a different location for instance to place gauges or a stereo, not their stereos were not as complicated as ours but it is the same basic idea.

I would hve no problem with the heat/ac controls being located in the trip computer.

the nav screen price was 75 shipped from subaruparts.com The bracket to hold it in place is just a thin piece of metal w. 4 L brackets screwed into the vents with small screws. It holds it perfectly in there, the hardest part is lining it up so the screen isnt off centered.

part number please :wub: