LegacyGT.com

5EAT XTs, What is your gas mileage???

I had a 2005XT 5MT that got 18.5mpg on winter blend and 21.5 on regular blend for the last 39 months. I did not baby the car; didn't beat the crap out of it either. I've had my 2008XT 5EAT for almost two weeks and I'm reading 15.9mpg on the gauge and approx. 240 miles to a full tank. What gives??? That's horrible mileage!

Dave

Your '08 needs time to break in. You should see gradual improvement of your mileage until 3-5k miles.

Complaining about fuel economy usually gets you the "you gotta pay to play" line. ;)

Let's hope it improves, I am getting identical fuel economy (or lack thereof) to DAVES! I have 2,200 miles on mine. Admittedly I do a lot of short trips which is hard on fuel economy (commuting to bus parking lot).

My mileage improved to 17MPG on the last tank (measured, not from trip computer).

Oh and mine is a 5MT.

It should improve quite a bit in the first few thousand miles, and Subarus are known to take a while to break in. Break in during the winter is guaranteed to give you the worst mpg possible.

Different car, but we log all fuel use on my 06 H6 5EAT since it's a company car. I drive mostly city and some commuting highway miles and don't drive for optimal fuel economy. So here's some data.

First 2,000 miles was 19.8 mpg.

2-4,000 miles averaged 19.2 mpg.

4-6,000 miles averaged 21.5 mpg.

The long term average over 47,000 miles is between 21-23 mpg, so it was close to broken in by 5,000 miles, although it continued to improve very slightly for the first 20,000.

Minimum full tank mpg I've gotten was 16.5mpg: winter break in! Max, 26.9.

I wouldn't stress until you have 5,000 miles on it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Hmmmm..... Well, like I said. I didn't drive conservatively and got 18.5 winter and 21.5 summer for over three years. I would say that the 5EAT and 5MT get considerably different mileage. Let's hope that more mileage on the car closes that gap. I would have stuck with the 5MT if I continue to get almost 3mpg difference. You know we're going to see $4.00/gallon later this year!

Since Jan.1, my '05 OB XT 5MT with 16,600 miles on the clock has averaged 19.6 MPG in mixed local area driving.

During a holiday trip in December '07 it averaged 24.3 MPG over 2,462 miles, most of that Interstate highways with the cruise control set at an indicated 65 - 70 MPH.

These were calculated measurements. The trip computer MPG readings are always high, usually by 5 - 7%, although I have seen the computer reading high by 10 to 13%!

City traffic and a lot of stop and go kills the mileage on these cars - mine did some 17.5 MPG when new. Now after 6,500 miles highway consumption is about 24 MPG and 20-21 MPG in city traffic. Indeed, mostly in Intelligent Mode. Sport or Sport Sharp will give waaaaay different results. After driving the A4 for a couple months (my wife loves the heated seats in the XT) I got used to 29-32 MPG, even with a more aggressive way of driving..... oh well, as said earlier, you gotta pay to play!

my 06XT 5EAT's avg. mpg average for miles 5,000-15,000 has been 18.9

which kinda sucks for mixed driving - mostly city with occasional long-hauls.

what tire pressure have people found is the best for best mpg + safety?

doing an 800 mile round-trip this weekend, would like to see the best possible mileage....

for best possible mileage... keep the cruise set in the speed limit area, 55-65... keep out of the boost as much as possible.. drive with your big toe.. the engine computer will begin to learn the way you're driving, boost less and offer better mileage ( I've driven the same highway stretch from Philly to NY a number of times, driving with my toe and saying out of boost will get 29+ mpg, but if I've been pushing it beforehand, or I get just slightly into boost, I'll only get 19-22 maybe...

for the past 20-25k miles, mixed driving (stgII) i've been getting a monthly average of about 19. I did only city driving this past weekend, not stepping on it at all, and I averaged about 12-14. ugh... true mine is an LGT not an XT but they;re close enough

for best possible mileage... keep the cruise set in the speed limit area, 55-65... keep out of the boost as much as possible..

ugh that is so tough. 65 is friggin' SLOW, forget 55.

55mph for 400 miles = 7.25 hours

65mph for 400 miles = 6.15 hours

70mph for 400 miles = 5.72 hours

75mph for 400 miles = 5.33 hours

for about 3500 miles now on syntec 0-40 Ive had about 20.7.avg 280 on a tank.Mixed 60hwy 40cty.the key thing is to keep it under 70 on the hwy and I get alot better mileage.closer to 22-23 avg.

My '05 OBXT AT (36,000 miles) gets about 21 - 22 mpg in mixed driving conditions. I'm a conservative driver but I have some fun once in awhile :lol:. I run 34 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear and use Shell premium gas and Mobil 1 oil.

It ain't cheap but it sure is fun and, for me, worth the price of admission.

Don

Wife's 05 automatic OBXT gets about 19-ish, mostly stop and go. Wife has a very heavy foot, she drives full gas, then full brake, full gas, then full brake. She wore out the brakes at 30K miles. Pretty talented, huh?

impressive driving by the wife!:lol:

I usually get 21-23 mpg on my daily commute (100 miles each way, mostly highway). I've discovered recently that if I drive conservatively and stay under the speed limit I get about 27-29.

Should have mentioned this is on a '07 XT with the 5EAT. Looking at everybody else's numbers, I'm doing really well. To make a more fair comparison, though, I should say if DC traffic is tight and I have to put my foot down to merge my mileage goes down fast. And if I do any "spirited" driving I quickly end up at 16 mpg for a tank. As TRAC3 said, stay out of boost and drive conservatively and we get OK mileage. But we didn't buy XT's for the mileage, did we?;)

ugh that is so tough. 65 is friggin' SLOW, forget 55.

55mph for 400 miles = 7.25 hours

65mph for 400 miles = 6.15 hours

70mph for 400 miles = 5.72 hours

75mph for 400 miles = 5.33 hours

Why buy an LGT to go 65 on the highway? Life is too short to dance with ugly girls.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived