LegacyGT.com

Brand of fuel and octane

hi there i have some trouble with my outback, have engine detonations, we do all for slove but they still there.

the detonations appears at 96 °c we try with 130 octanes gasoline and the detonations go out, usually use 97 octanes gasoline and some additive

if someone have tis trouble please help me thx :iam:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi there i have some trouble with my outback, have engine detonations, we do all for slove but they still there.

the detonations appears at 96 °c we try with 130 octanes gasoline and the detonations go out, usually use 97 octanes gasoline and some additive

if someone have tis trouble please help me thx :iam:

Welcome to the site. Is it a Turbo Outback? You shouldn't be using 97 octane.

If your having detonation, you may want to post in another forum on this site.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used to get nothing but Shell for it's V-Power additives in premium. However, there have been 3 gas stations in Lincoln from where when I fueled up, I was pulling timing. Both myself and Jarrad at PDX Tuning have called bad gas/shenanigans on this one. Therefore I've lost faith in Shell's quality control and have switched to BP which besides the fact that it supposebly has a comparable additive (Invigorate), it also happens to be 92-octane, not 91. My wife has been having some start-up problems where she'd have to keep cranking the car for 3 seconds after it would start to prevent it from sputtering and dying. After several fills of BP the problem went away.

Welcome to the site. Is it a Turbo Outback? You shouldn't be using 97 octane.

97 octane (RON) is as high as you can get in Europe in some countries at the gas stations. If there is knocking with that then there is a problem with the car.

97 octane RON = 93 octane in the US.

I'm getting old - I remember when you could get 100 octane RON at the pumps...

453747.png

I have tried a lot of gas, and it seems that you cant go wrong with shell. I had a nissan pathfinder :mad: that got like 16 mpg average- I started using Shell and it boosted the mpg to 18+ under the same driving condition- needless to say i got rid of that piece and refuse to put anything but shell in my leggy

From what I have heard, the biggest thing to watch out for is the age of gas. Obviously DON'T get gas when the tanker is filling the station (stirs up debris in the tank), but aside from that, I tend to go to gas stations that should have a higher consumption of 93 (by European car dealerships as well as rich neighborhoods...) Just a though.

We don't have Shell stations. We have mandated alcohol additive for the winter at every pump, it replaced MTBE for emissions issues; we're an attainment area. Since we're at a bit of altitude, the highest at our pumps is 91. East of the Continental Divide I think it's 89.5.

Archived