LegacyGT.com

Brand of fuel and octane

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only use Phillips 93, it's the only toptier gas around here. Who knows if it works like it says, I figure it can't hurt though. I usually goto the same station and same pump at the same time every week, but the attendant still doesn't know me, what kinda shit is that?

I have a gas station in Lincoln NE that sells sunoco 94 but I thought it was unsafe because it is leaded gasoline? Is that incorrect? Did the gas station attendant not know what they were talking about?

Check the state regulation and see if it is even allowed to sell leaded gasoline today. During a period here in Sweden the lead was replaced by sodium, but no there are no metal additives at all to any grade of fuel.

The gas station attendants shall be able to provide such information, if they can't I suggest that you check with the local state authorities regarding that matter or with the gas company.

The classic leaded fuel actually had a red tone while the other types doesn't. However it's not absolutely certain that the fuel is unleaded just because it's uncolored - or that it's leaded because it's colored.

453747.png

i can hook you up with some Jet-A or 100LL, lol....(work at an airport)...out of curiosity, what did you fly?

i either go with plus or premium (the octane varies around here) but it depends how much money i have at that moment

Use premium. The $1.60 (10 cents per gallon) you might save at the pump will be wasted because the ECU will pull timing or make your car run rich.

Am I missing something or was Exxon/Mobil not on that list?

No detergent... That explains why my car runs consistantly better using Exxon than the other ones.

I generally use Sunoco just because it's something different. I get subpar performance and mileage but I don't like OPEC and I don't like Venezuela. :/

Stay away from Citgo!!! I only use non-ethanol gas and prefer Shell, but base my decision upon the amount of business the station does of Premium (don't buy premium in the ghetto, it'll be old as dirt).

Also don't get gas when a tanker is filling the station- it churns up the debris and any particulate in the tank.

Stay away from Citgo!!! I only use non-ethanol gas and prefer Shell, but base my decision upon the amount of business the station does of Premium (don't buy premium in the ghetto, it'll be old as dirt).

Also don't get gas when a tanker is filling the station- it churns up the debris and any particulate in the tank.

If you live in the US midwest, you've been using up to 10% ethanol for years.

Although not ALL gas stations contain up to 10% ethanol, MOST do. And even most Shell gas stations nowadays use Ethanol.

But I agree that highly frequented stations will have higher quality gasoline. Either way, always stick with Premium. You may get away with using something lower, but why risk it?

False.

As Goucho stated, yes most have ethanol. Heck, if you live around Milwaukee chances are that you are using "specially reformulated" fuel, although I'm not sure what that means :spin:.

Bottom line is that it is not a requirement at this point for gas stations in the Midwest to carry ethanol:). Gas stations that don't have ethanol advertise this. I guess it's possible that they are lying, but I doubt they would go to that length...

I use Shell 93 Octane... Just a side question... I was think of taking my Subie to the track this spring and I was wondering if I have anything to worry about if I use racing fuel say a 100+ octane fuel. I'm at a stage II mod with Cobb exhaust, Chip mod and STI air intake? Can I change the chip "program" when I run 100+ octane fuel? Thanks for the input.

False.

As Goucho stated, yes most have ethanol. Heck, if you live around Milwaukee chances are that you are using "specially reformulated" fuel, although I'm not sure what that means :spin:.

Bottom line is that it is not a requirement at this point for gas stations in the Midwest to carry ethanol:). Gas stations that don't have ethanol advertise this. I guess it's possible that they are lying, but I doubt they would go to that length...

I would be quite surprised to learn that WI doesn't run up to 10% ethanol. Federal regulations (recently passed by congress) now say that all gas in the US must contain ethanol.

I use the cheapest 93 I can find and there arent really any non major stations. In Lincoln RI I use my stop and shop card and get 93 for 3.25/gal.

When im in CT the two HESS stations in waterbury usually have the cheapest gas

I use Shell 93 Octane... Just a side question... I was think of taking my Subie to the track this spring and I was wondering if I have anything to worry about if I use racing fuel say a 100+ octane fuel. I'm at a stage II mod with Cobb exhaust, Chip mod and STI air intake? Can I change the chip "program" when I run 100+ octane fuel? Thanks for the input.

Only worry if you still have the cat installed. 100+ octane fuel may contain lead or lead substitutes. If it really does depends on the source. Lead or substitutes will kill the cat. (curiosity is REALLY framed in this case)

453747.png

I would be quite surprised to learn that WI doesn't run up to 10% ethanol. Federal regulations (recently passed by congress) now say that all gas in the US must contain ethanol.

The vast majority of gas stations around here "run" gas with ethanol. Does this mean it's a requirement? I don't think so (could be wrong I guess).

That being said, a select few gas stations advertise that they have 100% gas (not just in Madison either, all over the state). Sure it's possible that these stations are lying, but why would they run the risk of false advertisement? I think someone would catch on to this.

Do the new federal regulations imply that there is no gas in the U.S. that doesn'ty have ethanol? I hardly think this is the case-although it could be something that they are phazing out.

I guess it's fair to say that we're going to agree to disagree, unless of course you know of a way to test the gas in which case I'd be all for it. :cool:

From Jan. 2005.

http://wistechnology.com/articles/2769/?id=2769

From 2006-thank God.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=552220

A couple of reasons NOT to use ethanol.

Ethanol is not the way of the future, at least not from corn. Do you like your whiskey watered down? I don't, nor do I like my gasoline diluted with something that has 33% less BTU's, especially when it raises the cost of food and is more polluting.

Your article also states that ethanol might be the cause for injector issues in the Milwaukee area.

Cliffs: F*** ethanol.:mad:

Archived