LegacyGT.com

Brand of fuel and octane

Hello,

I'm wondering what brand of fuel everyone uses, and octane. I know the Legacy GT's need to run premium, but does anyone use 89?

Id like to know what the best fuel for this car is.

Any input you can provide me with will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something or was Exxon/Mobil not on that list?

I tried some V-power, a member here generously gave me a prepaid gas card to Shell for helping him out with his car. It runs awesome on that stuff. Did some datalogs with it, K/C never went below +4 and I saw as high as +8.

91+

If you really need to save money (but not time ;-) fill half with 93 and the rest with 89 and you will end up with 91.

I do not think that NH has 91. If they are identical to MA there is 87, 89 and 93.

Krzys

PS The best fuel is from frequently replenished tank so find popular gas station also check this http://www.toptiergas.com/

Don't dick around with mixing AKIs to derive "91". There are reasons why different regions have different AKI ratings. Some may contain more ethanol which increases AK at the expense of BTUs (though that practice is supposed to become uniform), some areas have different formulations for pollution purposes and others have altitude issues that all result in different AKIs for optimum performance.

Besides, the price spreads between reg. and prem. have never been smaller.

I use the cheapest premium available in NH/Northern MA that ranges from 91-93 Octane. My wife(full serve only) does mix 89 on occasion if filling when tank is already >1/2 full. I usually go to Haffner's, good prices and I like the sign:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/380230764_e45ec56485.jpg

Big hint with no brand fuel stations, most use a mixture of the end of branded fuel trucks not wanting to return to fuel depot partially full.

Jet A+ or JP-8

oh wait, that was in the plane I used to fly...

I always do 93, usually Royal Dutch Shell or British Petroleum, and never Citgo. I've noticed, though that Speedway is almost always noticeably cheaper (there isn't one near me where I live now though). Does anyone know about Speedway fuel? Why is it cheaper?

Jet A+ or JP-8

oh wait, that was in the plane I used to fly...

I always do 93, usually Royal Dutch Shell or British Petroleum, and never Citgo. I've noticed, though that Speedway is almost always noticeably cheaper (there isn't one near me where I live now though). Does anyone know about Speedway fuel? Why is it cheaper?

i can hook you up with some Jet-A or 100LL, lol....(work at an airport)...out of curiosity, what did you fly?

i either go with plus or premium (the octane varies around here) but it depends how much money i have at that moment

Jet A+ or JP-8

I would avoid the jet fuel - unless it's a diesel. Jet engines doesn't need octane ratings so you will get one real knocker if you were using Jet fuel in your car. :p

And even in a Diesel you will need to add a lubricant to avoid seizing the injection or high-pressure pump.

453747.png

I would avoid the jet fuel - unless it's a diesel. Jet engines doesn't need octane ratings so you will get one real knocker if you were using Jet fuel in your car. :p

And even in a Diesel you will need to add a lubricant to avoid seizing the injection or high-pressure pump.

Jet-A in a piston engine, unless its a turbo-diesel, is instant death. a turbine or diesel engine can run on 100LL if nessicary, though it is not recommended....miss-fueling a piston is one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a line guy at an airport, and can have deadly results (ie: jet-A goes into the tanks of a piston and shortly after take-off the engine dies, resulting in a crash...)

but thats another topic :)

Well - you can run it on a non-turbo diesel too, but then - there is no reason. Just a useless waste of time. Diesel engines can burn just about anything that's liquid and can burn. But for some fuels you will need to add a lubricant for the fuel system components.

The Swedish truck manufacturer Scania is actually delivering trucks and buses that burns ethanol in a diesel engine.

At least some old tractors were actually built to run kerosene and they should be able to use the A1 without any problem, but the chance that you run into one of these is slim... It's a museum piece. The engines were designed with a very low compression ratio - about 1:4.5 or so. A modern engine has about 1:10 so you will get instant pre-ignition detonations and all kinds of bad things in a modern engine with A1.

But if you suffer from people stealing fuel it may be a good lesson for them if they filled up with A1 instead.

453747.png

I flew (in) a T-6 Texan II, hot little bird. In a few months, it'll be the P-3 Orion, 4 fans of freedom.

very nice, the PC-9/T-6 is a great plane. something about two seaters powered by a PT6 is very cool.

enjoy the orion! :p

Archived