erito

Like it?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Like it?

• Yes
    • No

^ :lol:

10K. That's great! :lol:

Priceless addition to an otherwise great discussion thread.

No, MarkV, that's not the idea of the Rayzer at all. The Rayzer is actually trying to be more useful, and not intended to make an aesthetic statement. To the best of my knowledge, there's no "pseudo-cop-car chic" in Rice culture, and for those who prefer cleaner lines, this certainly does present some visual clutter - so it's a negative when both sides of the "fashion" question is considered.

Even the most powerful lights fitted to the "high beam" location/application will not equal the Rayzer, which is, for one thing, designed to take advantage of the high-mount location to offer more illumination down-road. Unless you'd like to put your high-beams on two struts/stalks and get them up there, sticking some 2 ft. above the hoodline...well....you're just not going to get the same.

----

DrCloud - I have no doubt that this light would be illegal for public highways, particularly here, stateside.

I think that the highway/roadway codes local to erito may be different, though, but even if still road-illegal there, I still do think that in terms of "off-road" usage, the Rayzer may truly prove very useful.

I only wish I had (1) enough money to try it and (2) the road-conditions, locally, necessary to use/test it!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^:)

Hey I have no complaint to the pun, nor to the correction, I merely misunderstood the videos(maybe the swedish accent) but anyways, I love my HID's, yea I know, 10k its a little over board for the high beams, but like I sed, all for show on my part.....:cool:

But I take ur rebuttle with high regards good sir

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

Unless you'd like to put your high-beams on two struts/stalks and get them up there, sticking some 2 ft. above the hoodline...

This is the best idea so far -- perhaps someone would be so kind as to Photoshop a picture. They could even be made to swivel around, like some kind of science-fiction creature! And with separate on/off switches, they could "blink". Dang, I gotta have it! :D HPH

This is the best idea so far -- perhaps someone would be so kind as to Photoshop a picture. They could even be made to swivel around, like some kind of science-fiction creature! And with separate on/off switches, they could "blink". Dang, I gotta have it! :D HPH

^ :lol::lol:

I demand royalties! :lol::redface:

But seriously....you're right, separate "extension/retraction," per side, would add even more utility! One of outahere's cited articles pointed to the utility of "non-symmetrical lighting" for snowplow drivers in inclement-weather.....

---

Hey I have no complaint to the pun, nor to the correction, I merely misunderstood the videos(maybe the swedish accent) but anyways, I love my HID's, yea I know, 10k its a little over board for the high beams, but like I sed, all for show on my part.....:cool:

No harm, no foul. :)

As with most aftermarket HIDs, even ones of what might be "excessive" blue-violet coloration, you're probably seeing quite well simply because there's SO MUCH light - and that in and of itself is not only compensating for the color, but also actually even allowing you to see "more" than with conventional halogens in its place. This high-beam application is perhaps the best example of such, as there's just soooooo much light to harness.

Just be sure you use it safely/responsibly, so that you don't accidentally blind an oncoming driver so much that they run smack into you! :eek:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 months later...

^ Oh, cool!!!! :D

Night-time roadway/beam-shots!!!!! :D

^ You guys should really see the extent to which some of our Swedish car-loving brothers go to, to insure sufficient lighting in the backwoods, in the winter.

There's one of a Volvo, on one of the speed-detection countermeasures Forums that I frequent, that carries a bank of aftermarket lights below its center grill, integrated into the lower radiator opening, with the entire assembly shielded from road-debris by a plexi cover.

A few things:

1. In inclement weather, wouldn't a high mounting position have an adverse affect of making the drivers visibility worse, not better? I can see how this would be great on a clear night, but rain/snow seems like it would have a negative affect on visibility. I assume that the OP, when stating "black swedish winter", means exactly that - pitch black conditions, sans inclement weather.

2. In the "movies" shown by visualeyes, the light output seems to be a very high temperature. I know, like my car, the HIDs have to warm up to the desired temp, but these lights look extremely blue (something over 6k). Would they be better off running at a lower temperature, i.e. 5k max, or even a 4300 which is right about pure white. (I assume they offer different light outputs, but didnt' catch that on the site.)

3. other than the above, i think these are a great idea. Here in the states, I think only 1-2% of us on the forum would actually benefit/need something like this. Even here in the mountains of CO, I rarely run my high-beams (then again, I rarely drive at night outside of town). If I lived in the more backwoods areas, these would be great - I can see a benefit for the OP, but little to no benefit for us American LGTers living in or near a town.

brian

1. In inclement weather, wouldn't a high mounting position have an adverse affect of making the drivers visibility worse, not better? I can see how this would be great on a clear night, but rain/snow seems like it would have a negative affect on visibility. I assume that the OP, when stating "black swedish winter", means exactly that - pitch black conditions, sans inclement weather.

I would imagine so.

I truly think that this is a very, very "selective-use" item. That the end-user has to be smart enough to only engage it in the proper circumstances, or it may actually make things worse, instead of better.

I'd imagine that such blizzard/white-out conditions would be one that you'd want to avoid trying to use this kind of auxiliary lighting, as you would also try not to use any other kind of dedicated "driving" lights, for fear of increasing back-glare so much that you'd blind yourself, more than light the roadway ahead.

3. other than the above, i think these are a great idea. Here in the states, I think only 1-2% of us on the forum would actually benefit/need something like this. Even here in the mountains of CO, I rarely run my high-beams (then again, I rarely drive at night outside of town). If I lived in the more backwoods areas, these would be great - I can see a benefit for the OP, but little to no benefit for us American LGTers living in or near a town.

^ My thoughts, precisely, too. :)

I can see having these as an "oh wow" kind of thing, on my car.

But truly, I'd probably get to use them once, maybe twice, per year......

Still a very cool idea, though, for a very specific problem. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, erito, how has this gone for you?

I love the concept behind these (windshield cleaned by wipers for illumination clarity, security of being in the car, lines of car are kept clean, mounted high) but the glare from precipitous drives and cost are big deterents for me.

Thanks for being 1 of the first Subies to jump into this and post it online. I love new solutions! They are like muses to me sometimes.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

As for what i've tested, they are great. No problems with glares etc at all BUT ofcourse you can not use them at heavy snowfall or fog. Pictures will come, but i have two little ones (girls, one 3months and one 2yrs) to take care of aswell so there is not much time left :)

I will report problems if they occur, but all i know so far is that some unit have been burnt due to some construction failure on the first shipping of rayzer. New ones will also have ability to control output power with new hid ballasts. Some other upgrades and add-ons will come later too.

Yes they are abit pricy, but since they are inside and removeable to my next vehicle i guess they are worth at least quite a bit more than regular HIDs you place in the front.

• 1 month later...

If you are into the Facebook thing, try to search for 'rayzer' in facebook and become a fan. Rayzer has it's own page now :)

inside view without Rayzer:

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2118/228/31/1301941547/n1301941547_30284603_1755.jpg

inside view with Rayzer:

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2118/228/31/1301941547/n1301941547_30284604_3020.jpg

Archived