LegacyGT.com

*** TPMS Info Thread ***

SpecBee

So the service writer continues to argue with the customers about customer preferences. That's customer service in action, folks!

:lol: You really need to lighten up and not take everything so serious. Oh wait, am I allowed to say that online? Ya know being a service writer I should be courteous and all.

When I first got my Spec.B, I was having some (Subaru) parts put on it at the dealership, so I had a conversation with the service writer. In the course of the conversation, he mentioned that I was going to get a free oil change at 1000 miles, a very nice perk.

I said that was great and that I'd save them some oil by bringing some Mobil 1 in the proper weight.

The poor guy had a cow. He said I should read the manual, that using synthetic would void the warranty, that new Subaru engines have a new alloy formulation that synthetic oil dissolves (I am not making this up).

What is your point? You dealt with an Advisor who doesn't know what oil the car takes when it comes to oil and the warranty policy and procedures. Also why are they offering an oil change when one isn't needed until 3750?

So the lack of appreciation for customer needs and preferences we're seeing here isn't the worst thing that can happen with a Subaru service writer.

I have a difference of opinion and it bothers you that much? Wow, you really need to lighten up and accept the fact others in life will disagree with you in some topics.

Apparently, my customers tend to differ as well. Plus my boss, otherwise, I would have been gone a long time ago. So Please spare me the banter and just accept the fact there is more than one opinion even if it goes against what yours is.

But I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with the Subaru dealer in Richmond, if this thread is any example of they treat customers. HPH
:lol::lol:

It is funny you say that. My CSI/OLP score has been perfect, so I must be doing something right to maintain a perfect 100. I have to be doing something right as the local Subaru enthusiast community, highly recommend me over my competing dealer as I am offer a much better service experience and willing to work with customer in their needs, and when it comes to after market mods, I work with them as much as possible. I support and participate with the Subaru enthusiasts in their local car shows, meets and we even host one of if not the biggest Subaru car meets in the VA/DC/MD region along with other vendors. I don't expect you to know this or really care. I am just putting it out there.

Then again, you aren't local and what you think of me really won't affect what my customers in my area think. Their first hand, in person experience speaks volumes over someone who is that trouble over a difference of opinion. The Local Nasioc chapter seems to be pleased.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, and here I thought the TPMS system just took the readings from the sensors and if it was in range, all was ok. Little did I know that they were paired. What a pain in the ass. I just bought a separate set of winter tires and rims as well, they didn't come with TPMS sensors and I was looking into getting another set, but after reading this, forget it. I'll have to live with the damn light for the season.

On that note, the TPMS is sensitive. Even if it gets a little colder and the pressure doesn't noticeable change according to my gauge, the light will come on. The system is nice to have, but I do wish the system would store more than 4 transponder keys. I agree that Subaru should have thought about this a bit more.

Personally, I am not a fan of the TPMS. Yeah it is a good feature to have, but many people use that as a substitute for checking their tire pressure. Plus if you set your pressure at 30 psi and when it dips cooler, that can take it to 28 psi and throw the light. Seen that a few times. Atleast they don't have a sensor on the spare like Toyota that also reads and confuse the owners when all the tires are fine and yet the spare is low on air.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
Any resolution to this issue? I was ready to buy a set of winter wheels and tires, but am now just thinking of buying a high quality all-season to run year round - id better be careful in the snow! what a disappointment

Any resolution to this issue? I was ready to buy a set of winter wheels and tires, but am now just thinking of buying a high quality all-season to run year round - id better be careful in the snow! what a disappointment

None yet. I went the all-season route.

We got our first snow last night here in CT, about an inch. I was sliding all over the road with my high performance all-seasons. It's made me start thinking again about a winter setup, but I want my TPMS active!

I've been running the pirelli p-zero nero m&s. I got them last year since I wanted to maintain the original tire size and it was the best of the 3 high performance all-seasons offered at the time. They are deadly though on the snow as tirerack reminds me:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=102

As I have been reading this thread...I am chuckling. In Canada, non of the Subaru's have the TPMS ...but it got me thinking that Subaru's is over designed. I had TPMS on my old 99Grandam...it worked by circumfence of the wheel and the ABS system When I changed to winter tires and rims...they hit the reset button...it took a recalculation in the first rotations of the tires and we were off to the races....did it work..yes....I caught a nail in one of my summer tires and started to go down the tire changed circumference in relation to the other tires....the light when on...so Subaru might want to look at a less elegant system to do the same job.

• 1 month later...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure-Monitor-Tool-Kit/dp/B000M1F32C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232258435&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Tire Pressure Monitor Tool Kit - TPMS: Home Improvement[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BARTEC-TECH300-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B001DIJBA8/ref=pd_sbs_hi_11]Amazon.com: BARTEC TECH300 Tire Pressure Monitoring Tool Tpms: Home Improvement[/ame]

Maybe a group buy?

This is one 'feature' that I don't have to worry about (I have an 05). It is a good thing to manually check the pressure so you can also inspect the tire wear and any other issues.

Good Luck with this-- if the sensors are required, then they should accommodate two sets of tires in the design. Hopefully they will change this in future model years.

If that would work, I would've already bought one. Here's the response I got from Bartec a while back:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our line of TPMS Tools. We do have a tool for your vehicle, it is our Tech 400. I have a list cost of $2,699.95.

We sell through Warehouse Distribution, so you the customer will receive the best competitive price. If you could supply me with your location, I would be glad to assist you in finding a local Distributor in your area.

If you have any further question, please feel free in contact us.

the problem isn't the TPMS tools, those are easy to come by, but you also need a subaru select monitor 3 with appropriate software to be able to program the ECU side, which is the bitch of it.

Seems for now you can't get there from here....

the ECU pgm changes would be a nice feature to build into the next gen Cobb AccessPort. I wonder if then it could be done with the common tools.

Too bad its not simple like the seat belt chime hack!

• 4 weeks later...
Your only option at present is to have a dealership do it for you. They will likely charge you standard rates for it though.

I just ask my dealer to do it when I happen to have the car in for oil change / maintenance, and they've always done it for free...

• 1 year later...

I dropped my car off at a local shop (Shade Tree Garage, Morristown, NJ) to have my new rims and tires installed. When the tech attempted to remove the TPMS sensors from the old wheels, two of them appeared to be seized on. A third one that he was able to remove had a badly worn rubber seal; so much so that he had doubts about its ability to seal once installed on the new wheel.

The service advisor called the local Subaru dealer parts department and got a quote of about $75/sensor. He then checked TireRack, and through their internal internet portal site obtained a price of $33/sensor. The picture on TireRack appeared to be the same sensor, but the plastic housing being orange in color. The OEM sensors have a grey plastic housing.

Is the large difference in price worth the risk of going with the aftermarket sensors?

Thanks

Al

• 1 month later...

As far as I have heard, all sensors work as some sort of standard, you just have to get reprogrammed.

I'm reviving this thread though with a new thought, if you can't beat them, join them. I wonder if Subaru uses a system compatible but OLDER than another system on the market? The subaru system can only learn 4 wheels and is stuck with those 4 without a dealer reprogram. Somehow Mazda and other makers have made a smarter system that can automatically register new tires. I guess it notices no signal coming from your old set, and notices 4 new signals coming in strong for i'm guessing some sort of duration and says "Hey, I'm no dummy, those must be my new wheels". So the thought is, if we cannot defeat the system, what about an upgrade? Is all this stuff made by a common 3rd party supplier of bloody PMS crap? Any chance they would help out with a upgrade? It would be a good profit opportunity, I'm sure this stuff doesn't sell cheap.

I dropped my car off at a local shop (Shade Tree Garage, Morristown, NJ) to have my new rims and tires installed. When the tech attempted to remove the TPMS sensors from the old wheels, two of them appeared to be seized on. A third one that he was able to remove had a badly worn rubber seal; so much so that he had doubts about its ability to seal once installed on the new wheel.

The service advisor called the local Subaru dealer parts department and got a quote of about $75/sensor. He then checked TireRack, and through their internal internet portal site obtained a price of $33/sensor. The picture on TireRack appeared to be the same sensor, but the plastic housing being orange in color. The OEM sensors have a grey plastic housing.

Is the large difference in price worth the risk of going with the aftermarket sensors?

Thanks

Al

I just got off the phone with Tire Rack and they told me their sensors work the same as the OEM sensors. He said the color makes no difference, they all function the same way. I got 4 TPMS for $148 shipped for my 08 LGT sedan.

The dealer I go to qouted me $90 for each TPMS sensor!!! Its too bad we still have to pay them around $100 to flip a switch to reset the settings.

Heres the part number from Tire Rack if anyone else wants to get a set....

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor

Archived