LegacyGT.com

*** TPMS Info Thread ***

SpecBee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm missing something here, but are these wheel sensors glued into the wheels? Or simply bolted at the tire valve interface? When getting new wheels, is it not possible to use the old sensors with the new wheels? Or do we have to purchase new sensors?

Depends on if you plan to still use the old wheels or not. If you're just switching to a new set of wheels and never plan to use the olds again, you can move them over. However, your shop may not be willing to do so, as it's not necessarily 'correct' to re-use them.

I've been looking into this too, as I plan to run two sets of wheels, and it seems the only option is either running with warnings on one set, or visiting the dealer twice a year to have them reset. I can't find any 'cheap' resetter tool or schematics for making one, so I think we're pretty boned unless one of the more electronically inclined folks can somehow mock one up. I suspect Subaru is using a system which makes that non-trivial.

Edit: If I'm understanding the info correctly, you not only need the TPMS forcer tool, but you also need a SSM, as it's a two part system where you have to tell the SSM to accept new activation, and then use the TPMS forcer to make the actual monitors perform the activation. This makes it REALLY cost prohibitive if correct.

• 2 months later...

What exactly is the issue with simply unbolting them from one rim to use on another set of rims once the winter arrives?

...If you're just switching to a new set of wheels and never plan to use the olds again, you can move them over. However, your shop may not be willing to do so, as it's not necessarily 'correct' to re-use them.

I've been looking into this too, as I plan to run two sets of wheels, and it seems the only option is either running with warnings on one set, or visiting the dealer twice a year to have them reset. I can't find any 'cheap' resetter tool or schematics for making one, so I think we're pretty boned unless one of the more electronically inclined folks can somehow mock one up. I suspect Subaru is using a system which makes that non-trivial...

What exactly is the issue with simply unbolting them from one rim to use on another set of rims once the winter arrives?

No problem with doing that. The problem is for people who use two sets of wheels with tires already mounted on them. The system can only hold 4 sensors in its memory at one time so when you change your wheels each season the car needs to be taken to the dealer to have them reset the system. Otherwise, you just have to live with the TPMS light blinking on the instrument panel until you put the wheels with the sensors in the system memory back on.

Edit: Just re-read your post...the sensors can't be removed from the wheel without removing the tires. You'd have to have the tires un-mounted and then mounted back again at a tire shop to get them out

No problem with doing that. The problem is for people who use two sets of wheels with tires already mounted on them. The system can only hold 4 sensors in its memory at one time so when you change your wheels each season the car needs to be taken to the dealer to have them reset the system. Otherwise, you just have to live with the TPMS light blinking on the instrument panel until you put the wheels with the sensors in the system memory back on.

Edit: Just re-read your post...the sensors can't be removed from the wheel without removing the tires. You'd have to have the tires un-mounted and then mounted back again at a tire shop to get them out

Yes, and after that cost over two years you would be better off buying the reset tool. Just put my stockers back on to get the light off again. Looks like I will have the light every winter.:spin:

• 3 weeks later...
Holy schnikeys. I just got a set of summer wheels and tires with TPMS sensors installed. Went around to a few places, and having them reset the system to the new sensors is going to be around $90-120!

The dealer charges for just resetting the TPMS system I've seen are usually like $30-$40.

The dealer charges for just resetting the TPMS system I've seen are usually like $30-$40.

When I switched from summer to winter wheels (and back again), I just waited for my next oil change and asked the dealer to do it - both times there was no charge.

When I switched from summer to winter wheels (and back again), I just waited for my next oil change and asked the dealer to do it - both times there was no charge.

^ now that's smart.... It's worth a try as well.....

Nothing new on this thread at all?

Maybe we should do a group by on the tool and everyone who participates chips in a Hamilton or Jackson depending on the number of participants then we elect one person as the tool holder. Just a thought.

This is actually my current plan, but I'm sitting at 3500 miles so I have a bit before the next one. Like a year. :spin:

You only put 3500 miles on your car a year?

No, about 6000 -- problem is at this point in the year, if I wait for my next oil change, it will be when I swap back to the stockers for winter. System should fix itself when I do that, thn another 6 months back to the summers :lol:

Wow...I put about 31K miles on my car in 15 months...

No, about 6000 -- problem is at this point in the year, if I wait for my next oil change, it will be when I swap back to the stockers for winter. System should fix itself when I do that, thn another 6 months back to the summers :lol:

• 2 months later...
At the tire store I use (a Goodyear outlet), they have a tool to reset the TPMS computer, but it doesn't adapt the computer to different sensors. As far as I know, that's a Subaru dealer exclusive, at least at this point in time. HPH

That's right. There is a small tool available that makes the sensor in each tire "wake up" and transmit its ID number to the TPMS module in the car, however that by itself won't do anything. Subaru made it so that you also need to plug the Subaru Select Monitor that the dealer has into the OBDII port in the car and set the TPMS module into "learn mode" first.

^ Also, as linked in the other recent TPMS thread, it appears that the sensors are different in 07s and 08s. I wonder if the wheels I got from TireRack for my 08 LGT.B (with TireRack's version of the appropriate sensors), wheels that I'm using on our 07 Outback XT, can be programmed for the OB.

Gotta say, this TPMS business is a serious boondoggle, created by our wonderful Congress to fix a problem that didn't really need fixing. Next thing, they'll be requiring those proximity radars in each and every car, and if you disable it (or it breaks) your car won't start. Grrrrr....

HPH

Do what I did, and notify Subaru in writing of your dissatisfaction with their TPMS system, and ask that they add resets/reconfigs to warranty coverage because of the oversight.

They do cover the TPMS for 3/36k if you haven't changed the wheels or if the sensor wasn't damaged by another shop installing tires, or by anyone else. Why should they pay for you to purchase other wheels and cause the tpms sensor to come on?

If you have the factory wheels/tires and there is a defect, then they cover it.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived