LegacyGT.com

jdm turbo upgrade info

For a pure bolt-on upgrade, I believe your only choice is a TD04HLA-19T-8.5.

Hopefully there will be a series of upgrades coming soon since the JDM Impreza S-GT shares the same turbo configuration as the JDM 2.0 LGT.

Hopefully.......

• 2 weeks later...
so the jdm impreza uses a vf38 twinscroll as well ?

No, it uses an MHI turbo. However, I heard that it is compatible with the JDM LGT intercooler and exhaust pipes. It's probably similar to the TD04HLA-19T but smaller.

• 1 year later...

So i don't really know to much at all but apparently the vf44 is the same as the TD04HLA-19T and both are listed a replacements for the vf38, and suppose to give a bit more topend, weather or not this is true and or any mods are needed at all i don't know?

I'm looking for an up grade to for my lgt after my vf38 let go after 112,000 klm's ?

and didn't see the point of going stock, cos thats boring compaired to more hp, oh and the local subie dealer wanted $7100 for just the new turbo, ( i did't see the funny side of that, i can tell you.)

The VF44 is the twinscroll equivalent of the VF46. It uses the same wheels as the VF38/VF40. The compressor housing is pinched like the VF46.

Since the VF46 only makes a hair more power than the VF40, I think the VF44 probably is similar to the VF38 in the same way.

I believe the more recent LGT turbos are the VF45 and VF47.

The TD04HLA-19T uses a larger compressor wheel and turbine wheel and has a larger turbine housing than the VF38/VF44/VF45.

These turbos can be found on eBay for between $500 to $800.

• 2 weeks later...
:eek: Where are you located Boxer Boy?

FS (MA): JDM LGT twinscroll VF44 turbo & header/uppipe ... what a deal!

this was one of the threads i was reading, i can't find the others ( sorry if i was miss leading or just miss understood)

i live in Brisbane Australia, so i currently have a silver GT wagon as drive way ornament ( oh and a grumpy missus that wants her car back )

so if you where to upgrade to a vf44 or a tdo4 hla 19t would you need to retune the car or will the car ecu be able to cope with the change?

I don't consider the VF44 an upgrade over the VF38. It's more of a replacement.

However, you can not just swap turbos without re-tuning boost. Subaru uses a variety of actuator sizes and restrictor pill sizes. It's doubtful that the VF38 and VF44 uses the same actuator and pill. In the US, when SOA made the equivalent change from VF40 to VF46, they change the actuator and pill size.

You can always attach the hose directly from the compressor nipple to the actuator until you get a chance to tune the boost.

so in basic terms, ditching the factory electronic boost control and go aftermarket either electronic or mechanical? thanks heaps

so a td04hla 19t would be an upgrade though?

and either the td04 or the vf44 are straight bolt-on up grade for the GT's, or is there a better option?

sorry if this is deviating away from the thread topic, :redface:

so in basic terms, ditching the factory electronic boost control and go aftermarket either electronic or mechanical? thanks heaps

so a td04hla 19t would be an upgrade though?

and either the td04 or the vf44 are straight bolt-on up grade for the GT's, or is there a better option?

sorry if this is deviating away from the thread topic, :redface:

I never said anything about ditching the factor control.

Just tune it. Romraider can tune JDM LGTs.

I'm fairly sure the TD04HLA-19T is an upgrade. I've compared the wheels side by side to a VF38/VF40 and both wheels are significantly larger.

The only thing that might be better is the turbo that comes in the new SGT but I don't know anything about it other than the pipes are the same as the JDM LGT.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
Just get a used VF44 or VF45 for a fraction of what a new 19t costs. Even the 20t's aren't that big of an improvement over the 44/45 so not worth spending big money on one.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived