LegacyGT.com

Reubens Engine Transplant an Single Turbo Conversion

Reuben

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great wagon Reuben. I've always thought that generation wagon had great lines, softer yet more upright than the later versions. I'm curious about the the front bumper cover and the wheels you're running. Is the front bumper cover stock for the NZ version? And who makes those wheels, they are boss.

It's done! My BH5 is BACK baby!! Pulls like a freight train! The character of the engine is very different. The TT was very refined and smooth ... felt like 6 cylinders. But I'm not complaining. Single turbo EJ20 has created a brute. I'm loving it! An EJ20 STi with six speed is absolutely in our (hope not too distant) future. Our importer in Kenya say they're hard to come by because of insatiable demand for them in Australia and NZ? The car goes back in next week for a set of new gearbox linkage bushes after which I'll post pictures soon (and get off your thread Reuben). Thanks for the inspiration.

It's done! My BH5 is BACK baby!! Pulls like a freight train! The character of the engine is very different. The TT was very refined and smooth ... felt like 6 cylinders. But I'm not complaining. Single turbo EJ20 has created a brute. I'm loving it! An EJ20 STi with six speed is absolutely in our (hope not too distant) future. Our importer in Kenya say they're hard to come by because of insatiable demand for them in Australia and NZ? The car goes back in next week for a set of new gearbox linkage bushes after which I'll post pictures soon (and get off your thread Reuben). Thanks for the inspiration.

Hehehe, why does that not surprise me :lol:

Good to hear, how'd you do the ECU side of things?

The new motor came complete with ECU and harness. Minor mods to the temp switch and a gremlin with airbags needs a Subaru diagnostic computer. Rallytec will sort all out. A lot more fun to drive I must say. No more need to hunt for a second power surge. Pictures coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...
hey wuodo, i have a pre 96 tt, i live in nairobi... how much did it cost you to do the swap and where did u get it done?? i just got the 1st turbo replaced but it has no power so i gota get it changed again on sunday!!! i wudnt mind changing to single turbo and also if you could help me the turbo pipe wiring... coz i think thats the prob!!

Hey guy! So pleased I have a compatriot on this forum. I got my car done at Rallytec Motors in Kisumu (check out http://www.rallytecmotors.com). The engine set me back about 150k and I've gotten used to the different feel (and sound) of it ... and the car still paces like a nonsense. I think Baldi Chager's place could do a swap for you in Nairobi. I skived wiring hassle by replacing the entire loom and computer. Minor glitches remain ... the airbags being one. If you read the earlier part of this threat you will see that early twin turbo engines have a susceptibility to failure which single turbos do not. The motor in my car (from a Turbo Forester) works fine but I shall have to swap again one day ... and go 6-speed STi!

150k.... i just bought this 95 gt for like 450k... and the worst thing is i bought it from baldi chargers.... trust me, those guys dont stand for their name as so far ive spent another 50k on doin minor things like changing pipes and hoses!! so u also changed the engine? i have an auto.... heres my email add: maheerz@hotmail.com

wuoda... i dont trust subaru kenya or the baldi... can u please ask in kisumu how much it wud be to swap mine wid a single turbo as i have an auto and beter then talkin on the phone... some1 talks personally. my car dont have air bags so i dont think wiring will be a prob... sawa... ur help will be much apreciated coz i really :wub:love:wub: the car as its my 1st and there aint no way i wana get rid of it. thanks man.

Hey! I'll check with Rallytec but a good motor and gearbox will cost at least 140k. If you can source one from the breakers (is Shamas on Baricho Road still in business?) you may be able to get it for less. Maybe a '95 motor will cost even less? I'll send you an email with my cellhpoen number and we can talk. I can't do STi six-speed right now ... that'll cost like 700k ... the price of another car!! Or two!!! I need to rob a bank or sell a hotel to the Libyans.

hahaha, yeah libyans will defenatly buy it... and the way things are goin ull be a millionaire with a court case that will last 30years... and being in ur profesion... u can take it to like 50!!

so, do i need a new gear box too? what if we get an auto sti engine or so? i kno my fren drives an auto sti forester... at the moment... m thinkin baaad for it but shudnt be so selfish. thanks mate, i apreciate.

Just a note on the auto's guy's. You will need to re-pin, and change your ECU!! Especially if you drop an STi engine in there. They have different injecors, and air flow meters. You may also want to do the fuel pump too. Trust me, it's much easier to start with a manual! Auto's really are not suitible unless you want to convert everything.

Damn you for your wiring being so easy, I've been stuck on my wiring for months now (JDM ej25 to replace USDM ej25). I wish I lived in NZ

:lol::p

It's my personal recomendation to do a manual converison too, but of course you don't even have to touch it.

As for the single conversion, should be all the same as a manual, only you need to re-pin to run the single turbo unlike the manual's. Also remember you have grey tops, so need to run a WRX ECU instead of a an STi ECU that will run the bigger flowing yellow tops. Other than that it's all good.

I don't know if i posted this, but the how to on the conversion can be found here.

http://clubsub.org.nz/forums/index.php?topic=24206.0

i read that... ill give you one thing... u kno subs man. me on the other hand:confused::confused::confused:.... i guess thats why this forum is made. in nairobi, kenya... the trafic is a killer at times... so i prefer an auto as my gt is for my daily use to and from work and around... kills me in fuels though:spin:... 6.5 - 7k/l max.

• 1 month later...

hello people... i have posted this in many different threads but havent found a reply... so i decide that i make a new thread.

i have this problem in my sub and i really cant figure it out...

ODI self test CEL is showing numb 66, i checked every where but i just cant find that code, its not there even in the manual.

so when the CEL light for this number comes... the car doesnt rev above 4000rpm and starts sort of pushing the rev to 3200 from 4000 (sort of jerking).... this happens after i have floored the car and then slowed down like in the round about or a junction) and then when i want to floor it again (it starts pushing the rev down from 4000) or some times when i floor the car when the engine is a bit cold.

please guys, i really want to sort the car out as i just cant enjoy the drive when i kno there is a prob...

i even changed the primary turbo just to make sure that it wasnt the turbo as the car moves perfectley when the light hasnt come on.

any help will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

i drive a 95 lgt, pre 96, twin turbo, automatic transmission.

The dreaded code 66(6)

It means: Twin Turbo System

Basically if ANYTHING in the TT system goes bad, 66 is the code you get. So there's about 5 solenoids to check, some valves, a boost leak on any one of the 24 vac lines... anything...

The not going above 4000 RPM thing is the car being run in safe mode, to prevent it from damage. It's not part of the proplem, so do not worry about not getting above 4000 rpm, it's actually a good thing.

My advice is take it to a professional subaru dealership, that has REAL subaru only mechanics. Any other place will take your money, and fail to fix the problem. If there is no dealerships you can trust, visit http://www.clubsub.org.nz, and explain your problem there.

• 4 weeks later...
hey, sorry was out of touch for a while... the delearships here are the biggest reaps... i checked wid a mech, he did the computer thing.. he got the transfer clutch solenoid... m not sure if that is the problem but im stil gona try to fix it and see what happens!

thats quite kool what you did with your car! I thought that the twin turbo's only came in japan?? in new zealand they cam with the twin turbo in those years? was there the 2.0 litre twin cam single turbo also?? I got a 1994 legacy GT with the ej22 turbo it needs some work though! I got it for $1100.00 put a ball joint in the left front and a cv boot also. then it got safeted it was already e-tested so plates on taxes payed it was more like $1450.oo so 3 #!%en days later the bottom or middle end whatever! is going slap bang scrape scrape!!!! there was not really any signs of it going. although when in neutral or between shifts (automatic) it sounded weird like detionation but without load??? but driving it was quiet it ran pretty good exept for the struts!? so I did a tune up got it idlen better (when hot) went to pick up frends to go put my old toyota in storage one town over, we get there and it started losing power but no noise then we get 1 more block to my work and its just like like banging crashin and scrapin!! then while checkin it out in our shop the oil pressure light was flickering exacly with the knocking!! so i think thats done!!

so I just bought a japanese EJ20 turbo (single) it's twin cam with individual coils it looks like the engine you just pulled out with only one turbo on it !!

Are these engines any good?? what am I in for for the swap?? will the EJ22 automatic hold up at all I won't rip it every day but if I do it here and there will it just give up in a couple of times??? or if I take it kinda easy will it hold up??

I would like to keep the individual coils can I splice them in with the inputs to the coil pack on the EJ22 or should i just use the Pack and intake manifold from the 22??

any help would br greatly appreaciated

Thanks Jesse!

Archived