LegacyGT.com

Reubens Engine Transplant an Single Turbo Conversion

Reuben

Hey rueben, jst wantd 2 ask u sumfin, what are the 5 solenoids that you said need to check? Is the transfer clutch one of them? Thanks.

I wouldn't know sorry. I just found loads of oil in all of my solenoids when i opened up the black box, so i thought that could possibly be a cause for code 66. Who knows though, 66 is a tough nut to crack, and i'm affraid i don't know anything else about it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats quite kool what you did with your car! *teh snip*

Thanks. And the NZDM is pretty much JDM. At least 80% of the jap manufacturer cars on the road here are JDM imports. And when it comes to subaru, NZDM is pretty much the same as JDM. the differences are too minor to note. So there's an abundance of early STi's and twin turbo legacy's here. NZ is pretty much a JDM paradise :D

As for my engine, it's a built hybrid - i converted it from twin turbo, to single, after the engine was built before putting it back in. Then gen 2 and 3 legacy's were all twin turbo, and coil on plug. The equivalent WRX and STi's were single turbo, and coil pack. All are 2L DOHC. The old Gen1's were single turbo too. :p

These engines are all great. The EJ20R's (the one i had), are reputable for blowing big end bearings though. As for your auto, yeah it may hold out, but i'd toss it to be honest, auto's suck bollocks - get a manual in there! Any manual from a turbo 96 onwards will be more than up for the task.

Oh, and as for your engine problems... Um, well. Dunno. if it were a big end, i assume it would rapidly deteriorate, thought maybe i was just unlucky. Mine lasted from first little hints of ticking, to being a full blown klatter-klatter-black-smoke-and-stalling within 30km's. But yah, sounds nasty :p In all honesty, i'd simply rebuild what you have, the 22T is a fantastic engine. From what i hear it's just like the JDM EJ20G, only it's SOHC, is not intercooled, and 2.2L. The SOHC and intercooler thing you can fix real easy :D

I actaully have a a dream build i want to do. It involves a 22T Closed deck block, with either EJ20R or EJ20K (96-98 GTB, or 96-98 STi) heads. Instead of considering getting a JDM engine, just get some heads, and run with that. You may need to do some light loom work though (may not). Don't listen to me on that though, i'd do LOADs of research on NASIOC before going in anc messing with things.

yeah that car is krazy kool and krazy fast (watched the clips!!) that looks fast but not all stupid flashy (I'm a big fan of almost stock apperence just some nice wheels and a front slip or skirt!! Its very nice!! but I got the new engine I'ts a EJ20 I'm thinking possibly a G caus I'ts older with the idle tube And thats what the wrecker thought it was early 90's It kinda looked like the twin yuo pulled but single with a different intake manafold and a sti badge on the little belt cover over the p/s and alt! they cleaned it up really nice did the comp test and the leak down I can't remember the leak down but the comp was 160psi on all 4! so I think I have to swap the coils on the plugs (keepin them for when I actualally afford to get the jdm comp,loom stick and an engine of spare parts to work (if the guy in Kingston still has it for cheap eng,trans stick,ecu for really cheap almost too cheap!!?) the intake off the EJ22 some or the canadian controls from the car se if it works?????? leave it auto for now (this car was originally supposed to be a beater!) I hope it works cause I'm almost out of $$ Do You think that I will loose alot of that JDM power by doing this??????????? I might be able to make the JDM manafold work though

any help is madd good know cause I want this working before the onslaught of winter (cause I'll die in the corrola)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi i have a 93 gt legacy that ive converted from twin turbo to single turbo but cant get it to run for longer than a couple of seconds ,it used to only run in safety mode but now wont stay running at all.i was told by subaru dealership that i will need a link ecu and boost control system is there no easier or cheaper way to just get it running? thanks for any help

merry Christmas all!! I had no time for pics as I had very limited time to do the swap at work but shes running around took it on a 300km trip and it still runs so yay I finnaly got the stock Intercooler for the 20G it is a closed deck block as suberdave told me that if it had the casting lines on the starter hump like the 22t it would be closed deck!?!? and it has them like the 22t it is running off the 22t's comp and wireing!! but when it is hot it likes to stalll on me at stop lights when I try to go again!! so I have to press the accel very lightly and slowly till it comes off Idle then its fine till I get it boosting then when it gets high enough it sounds like leaking and the power is not there and it starts to smell like raw fuel!!!!!! so gots to figure that stuff out need a boost guage and a MBC hopefully that will solve my probs out!!?!?!?!?

thanks Jesse

let me know if you can help out?

also if you can show me how you converted the packs to wasted spark cause I still have the packs (in good shape) and the remanders of the JDM harness!! the pack on the manifold does'nt fit well on the new intake as it has no spot for it I have it bolted into a screw spot on the manifold but it hits the hood a little!!! so can I run the coils by splicing them into the 3 wires going into the pack???? I know you are running them wasted spark so any hel is greatly appreaciated

thanx again Jesse

ps subaru swaps = fun ! HAHAHAHAH!?!!!!!!

Archived