LegacyGT.com

Shortest Throw STS?

tahoegt

you have to watch how short you make it. It will start hitting the trim etc.. i have mine adjusted to the shortest you can go with the cobb without affecting the shifting.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

what do you all think of the STi short throw shifter for the 5mt? thinking of getting one for my 06 spec.b

dont bother its overpriced and there isnt much difference from stock (trust me i had one)

You can mix the STI short throw linkage with the Kartboy short throw shifter.

It's been shown on here before that the STi linkage is no different than the OEM one. The only differnce between the STi and OEM shifter is the shifting rod.

Get the Cobb, and get the shortest throw out of it. I got the Cobb and lowered it as low as possible. I cut down the metal trim, and lubed up the rubber boot with some grease because the rod touches it now. :)

My Cobb STS didn't come with any instructions, so it took me awhile to figure this out. To shorten the throw you actually have to raise the height of the point where the linkage rod is positioned on the shifting rod. It all works out because you can lower the height of the shift knob. Confusing, but you'll see once you get it.

It's been shown on here before that the STi linkage is no different than the OEM one. The only differnce between the STi and OEM shifter is the shifting rod.
Wait, so the only thing they did on the STi short throw shifter is modify the linkage (and the bushings) to make the actual throw shorter and crisper? You are right, it does Nothing! :lol:

Is your goal a shifter that is shorter in height? Or shorter in throw?

Ted

:spin:

do you guys think the cobb sts (if adjusted wrong) could mess up your tranny????

like pop outta gear and mess it up?

Yes, I think it is possible if you don't pay attention to the possible issue. When I first installed mine and went out for the test drive it was difficult to shift into 2nd and 4th, and would pop out of second. A quick and easy adjustment fixed that.

Then a while later I noticed that the stick would vibrate enough to make noise under hard acceleration. A quick adjustment fixed the noise and made the shifting a bit smoother too.

I wouldn't stay away from the Cobb STS because of this, just be aware. I like mine a lot.

BTW I did not trim the metal surround piece under the shift boot, perhaps that contributed to the noise or other issues.

If you want the shortest, you need to remove the shift rod altogether, and connective pieces, and reach the hell down in there while driving to shift. That's mad short man....old skool.

Improperly installed/adjusted short throw shifters can mess up your transmission. For the same reason that it's not good to rest your hand on the shift knob while in gear, so to can improperly installed/adjusted STSs apply pressure over time on things that should not be pressed against whilst moving.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Then a while later I noticed that the stick would vibrate enough to make noise under hard acceleration. A quick adjustment fixed the noise and made the shifting a bit smoother too.

Can you elaborate on the adjustment? I just noticed mine does this...I suspect the shift rod vibrating against the metal trim piece? What did you adjust?

Also, just after the install my shift effort went up (more than could be accounted for by the shorter throw). I slathered a ton a Super Lube in the ball-pivot, practically immersed it, and it's much smoother/better now. Cobb says to just re-use the existing grease...I vote to slather it in as much grease as can be packed in there!

Can you elaborate on the adjustment? I just noticed mine does this...I suspect the shift rod vibrating against the metal trim piece? What did you adjust?

I believe I adjusted the lower section down just a bit, which according to the instructions lengthens the throw just a tad.

Is the factory STS junk? That's what I have (along with STI trans mount and Kartboy bushings). My only complaint about the shifting is that the likage seems to bind up when trying to shift from fifth to fourth at high speed under heavy braking.

Archived