LegacyGT.com

I have two car seats in the rear...too tight!!!

I have a 2006 Legacy sedan special edition. I have two car seats in the rear. My wife & I are both 6' tall and have our seats all the way back (need all the legroom we can get). My kids are 4-1/2 and 1-1/2 years old.

There is no room for either of my kids legs. Even for my 1-1/2 yr old I have to move my seat up since her feet touch the back of my seat. On the passenger side we have to slide that seat forward to give my 4-1/2 yr old at least a little wiggle room.

Does anyone know if the Legacy wagon allows for more rear seat leg room than the sedan? I thought it was no different so I bought the sedan back in 2006.

My wife has an Odyssey which is our main family hauler but I'd rather we all take the subie but being so tight it rarely happens. Otherwise I have to sell the car...:mad:

Does anyone know if the Legacy wagon allows for more rear seat leg room than the sedan?

There is no difference in rear seat space.

Why can't you just keep the Legacy and take the wife's minivan when you travel as a family?

I thought the rear of the wagon was no different than the sedan.

I pick up the kids from daycare, etc quite a bit plus when running errands I'd rather drive my car than the Odyssey...although the Odyssey has way more power than my NA Legacy...

I have a 2006 Legacy sedan special edition. I have two car seats in the rear. My wife & I are both 6' tall and have our seats all the way back (need all the legroom we can get). My kids are 4-1/2 and 1-1/2 years old.

There is no room for either of my kids legs. Even for my 1-1/2 yr old I have to move my seat up since her feet touch the back of my seat. On the passenger side we have to slide that seat forward to give my 4-1/2 yr old at least a little wiggle room.

Does anyone know if the Legacy wagon allows for more rear seat leg room than the sedan? I thought it was no different so I bought the sedan back in 2006.

My wife has an Odyssey which is our main family hauler but I'd rather we all take the subie but being so tight it rarely happens. Otherwise I have to sell the car...:mad:

That sucks. Maybe you can try different child safety seats.

We just got a couple of Recaro Signo seats to put in my wife's Escalade. We always use her vehicle when we go out with the kids. I don't know if the Signo would work for your 4 1/2 year old, but they would probably work for your 1 1/2 year old.

If I remember, I will go do a test install in my Legacy after I get home tonight. I'll have to move the seats back to and pretend I'm tall. :) I'll take some pics of the fit.

Is it the size or design of the child seat that is a problem? I wonder if there is a better design of sea that would fit (my thinking is new car seats might be more affordable than getting a new car). I'm just guessing as I don't have kids but am your height. This makes me wonder how I ever fit in the back of all those small cars my parents had when i was growing up.

Legacy is really not a family car "for tall people".

You need something bigger.

X

Fixed!

I'm 5'7 and so is the wife, we've got plenty of room.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yeah tru dat, but it is still small in the trunk for strollers and other crap.

X

in the sedan yes, in the wagon no. but thank god we don't need strollers anymore. i hated those things

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Fixed!

I'm 5'7 and so is the wife, we've got plenty of room.

Good to know for when I upgrade as I am also 5'7" though sitting in my backseat I feel that I have ample legroom. We take my car on long trips as opposed to my buddies Legend not only because of fuel economy reasons, but because the rear seats have more room. Thank you Subaru.

Yeah, sad that the Odyssey is faster than my car. While out in the Odyssey one day I raced a guy in a Miata and beat him. Was hilarious.

Thought about different car seats but I think the problem is there just isn't any leg room when the seats are all the way back which is how my wife & I like it for comfort.

I had a Camry before it was stretched to it's current size and had the same problem.

The kids legs are too small to be able to "bend" when sitting in a car seat or, even the car's back seat. Right now, they probably take up more room than a full adult who can bend their legs.

my wife is 5'5 and she has enuf room for her leg. with my 7 yr old in a booster chair behind her. not a lot of room, but enuf to not hit the dash and open cabinet if she needs to.

i am 5'6" and my 4 yr old sits behind me in a big car seat.. he has about 7" of clearance.. that said, i am all torso. so i scoot my chair up quite a bit, but i recline my sit.

not spacious, but enuf to be comfortable and not cramped. i do wish the car was wider though.. more space between the boys when they fight!!

LongHiway nailed it by saying kids can't bend their legs. They just jet staright out hitting the backside of the front seats.

I've never had an adult sit in my rear seats since I installed the car seats the day I got the car.

Cause (as they say), been there done that! I'm 6'1" and adults don't complain about sitting behind me, they can't be thrilled either.

But I remember when the yun'uns would prop their feet up on the shoulder of the front seat but they also have this twisted sense of humor.

Bigger car or not? I don't know how many options there really are. A difficult decision.

im 6 ft i dont have kids but I dont sit anywhere near all the way back in the seat. when I was a kid I sat in the front seat of our dodge caravan with the cross strap pulled behind the headrest when i was 5 but times have changed, and im only 22

I'm 6 foot 2 (all legs too) and have two baby seats in the back of my wagon.

I don't have the seat all the way back... 2 clicks up and the kid is fine in the back and I can still comfortably operate my manual transmission car.

Do you and the wife need to be all the way back? Do you have the seats reclined as well, Gangster style?:confused:

I've gone on 6 big road trips over the last 3 years in the wagon and it's not impossible. Hell, it's not even uncomfortable for me.

I'm 6 foot 2 (all legs too) and have two baby seats in the back of my wagon.

I don't have the seat all the way back... 2 clicks up and the kid is fine in the back and I can still comfortably operate my manual transmission car.

Do you and the wife need to be all the way back? Do you have the seats reclined as well, Gangster style?:confused:

I've gone on 6 big road trips over the last 3 years in the wagon and it's not impossible. Hell, it's not even uncomfortable for me.

ive got power seats so i dont know exactly how far back i am but its FAR from all the way back, I admit i sit closer than the average non-getto driver but i would think to not buy a new car you could modify your seating style. If your seatback is far back it pushes your legs out further too so if you push your back more vertical you may find more foot room available not as far back

I agree that it might be just that your and your wife are reclining too far. People tend to sit a certain way out of habit, see if you can't find a comfortable position up farther. Try maybe altering how much recline vs, forward/backward movement of the seat.

I'm thinking that I must do the gangster lean. I do have the seats powered all the way back but they have at least a decent lean. I am a thin guy (6' & 150 lbs) but I guess I just like the seat gangsta style...

I measured and have 7" from the back of my drivers seat to the leading edge of the rear seat. That's why my 1-1/2 yr old is pushing her feet against the seat.

Archived