LegacyGT.com

Real-world 2.5 NA fuel mileage / economy

Iam a long time suby fan with a 95 legacy wagon 5spd, and looking at a 97-99 legacy wagon auto with 250k(156miles) assuming that all head gasket problems are bieng fixed what can I do interal or exteral to increace MPGs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iam a long time suby fan with a 95 legacy wagon 5spd, and looking at a 97-99 legacy wagon auto with 250k(156miles) assuming that all head gasket problems are bieng fixed what can I do interal or exteral to increace MPGs!

Changing your driving habits is by far the most effective way to improve fuel efficiency. Modding the car will gain you next to nothing compared to driving differently. There are numerous sites that list best driving practices for improving fuel efficiency.

i average about 28-29mpg on my 09 2.5i SE 5 spd...i owned it since october and have 20k miles already...all expressway miles 62 miles roundtrip everyday... have the K&N panel filter...very satisfied

for an AWD vehicle and love my subie

beats my 02 mitsubishi lancer oz rally t3/T4 .60 that dynoed @ 308WHP & 301 WTQ that was getting horrible gas mileage...but damn do i miss that beastly sleeper

maybe my legacy will be next to build later on hehehe jk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

• 3 months later...
I just got done with a highway road trip. When I pulled into the gas station I did the math. 187miles and topped her off at 5.15 gallons. I filled her up at the gas station right next to the highway... 36.3mpg! boy was I happy and surprised. I did cruise control the entire way and just enjoyed the scenery and music. I'm happy with those numbers. Suck it toyota and honda.

Before I put the bug shield on I was seeing 28-29 mpg mixed and after I'm down to 26-27 in the mountains of WV. On a trip I see 30-33 mpg. My car is 2.5i 5-speed manual.

Where in WV?

This thread kind of reminds me of guys talkin about the size of their junk.. i think its safe to say most lie and exaggerate. I don't understand how you guys are getting such good mpg. Below are the numbers for an '09 2.5i se with MT per edmunds.com

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined)

Manual: 20 mpg / 27 mpg / 22 mpg

I average around 25 mpg, + or - 2mpg.

Edmunds also said that my Ranger would 19 mpg on a trip. That's 5 more than I ever seen out of that truck. It all depends on what kind revs you're running mixed with tire pressure, the wind, outside temp and so on. On flat roads because I must know how to drive I do see 30-33 mpg.

I still stand by my 36.3 mpg. All highway, All cruise, checked air preasure, oil changed, air filter all the nine yards. also, I only needed to accelerate three times. Once out of the gas station, and second to get my toll ticket, third to pay it. I never trust the computer fuel economy.

Oh yea. and I have the biggest junk

I had a 2006 Saab 92x with a 2.5 n/a and 5 speed. Now I have a 2009 Legacy 2.5i n/a w/5 speed. Get mid to high 20's around town and low 30's on road trips doing all highway.

Oh yeah, and I have the biggest junk too.

(WTF, why would someone lie about their gas mileage?)

I'm in Austin right now, in the middle of a pretty long week-long road trip from Denver to Austin to New Orleans to Memphis then back to Denver. Cruising at around 85-95 mph, I'm getting a pretty consistent 29 MPG.

Oh, and the lower in elevation I go, the more powerful my car feels!

I took a trip to Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Filled up before I left, put 418.5 miles (almost all highway) before I filled up again with 13.738 gallons. That put me at 30.46mgp for that tank.

Pretty standard trip up I-15. Cruise set at 70mph the whole trip (except to pass a few trucks and dropping it to 55 for a CHP filled construction zone).

The dash readout was saying I was getting 1mpg more than what I got but it seems to be that way on every tank.

Typically, I get 26mpg in the city and 28mpg in mix (city/highway). Not too bad but I usually don't drive over 70mph on the freeways out here....too many cops.

Dad's 2009 Outback 2.5i has less than 1500 on the odometer and he's averaging about 24-25 mpg, 100 mile daily commute, all highway, 75-80 mph. And is kinda upset that his previous car (1994 Accord EX wagon) was better in terms of mpg. I keep telling him things will improve, car isn't even broken in yet. :D

Automatic (4EAT) '05 N/A Outback 2.5i gets me 21MPG and I hit the redline a lot, my town/highway driving is about 60/40 split. Not too shabby for a leadfoot like myself. :)

edit: I forgot to mention that I typically go 80-85 on the highway and leave the car idling a lot, i am a dog walker so I either stop and start the car alot or leave it idling for several minutes when I'm picking up and dropping off dogs... neither of which is great for the car but it's why I got an outback, japanese durability, capacity, decent gas mileage, all weather driving. :)

I've never gotten the actual mileage that the computer has calculated. Typically 1 - 1.5 mpg less. I see about 28mpg with mostly hilly highway commutes.

I have a bigger question for you folks...

At medium to highway speeds (50mph+), whenever I pass one of those radar/flashing speedometer signs on the road, they consistently indicate that I'm going 3mph slower than my speedometer indicates. 3mph always.

That means my odometer is rolling about 5% (3mph at 60mph) faster than actual miles.

The way I see it, this is cutting into my warranty.

Has anyone else noticed this? Should I slow down and enjoy the view? Do we have a class action suit?

Thanks in advance.

Archived