LegacyGT.com

Real-world 2.5 NA fuel mileage / economy

I can see upwards to 30mpg highway and as low as 20mpg city though usually averages to 25mpg. Remember the car's computer mpg is always going to be "optimistic" by atleast 1-2mpg compared to what you're really getting. Though from what you've posted you will always do better than the Jeep.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also have to take into account your altitude.

Also, I've noticed as much as a 6mpg difference between fuel bought from different gas stations (even from the same chain). For example, I get (in my 3.0R, mostly city driving with lots of lights and traffic) 18 mpg when I buy gas from a Hess station about 10 blocks away, compared to a measly 14.2 mpg when I buy gas from a Mobile station 6 blocks away. Experimentation is not a bad idea. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My daily commute consists of mixed highway/city. When I drive to go snowboarding, it's 98% highway.

Mixed: 27.3mpg - 26.4mpg

Highway: ~32mpg - ~31mpg

This is all in Colorado (high altitude), stock 5MT 2.5I, and the highway consists of mountain driving.

Just depends on how you drive.

That's great!

I've noticed that I consistently get about 5-6mpg over the advertisted city/highway.

I get about 2 mpg over the city and 5 over the hwy, but I also have a Weapon-R air intake. Its alot more efficient that the auto LGT I had before and faster too. :)

• 4 months later...
I typically get about 27 mpg overall, but I can easily break 30 mpg with pure highway driving.

12K into my ownership, I am seeing the same. I average abotu 30 MPG per tank, sometimes as low as 29, but if my wife drives it (mostly around town), It drops to 27-28.

Overall, I am very happy with the economy of the Legacy.

When I was looking to buy it, I was reading comments on edmunds that some owners woudl have liked to have sacrificed a few horses for a few more MPG. I think that they are crazy. Buy an Impreza. The 2.5 NA is an adequate motor, but losing a few HP for the sake of MPG in a car of that weight would have been a mistake. Subaru got it right.

If anything, I'd sacrifice 1-2 MPG for 10-15% more HP...

i have a 2006 legacy 2.5i and im currently getting 35 mpg city/highway. i recently took a trip to greenbrier county wv. and i got right at 40 mpg i know u guys think this is crazy but its true you just have to watch how you drive plus i was only doing like 60mph the whole way there.

I am about to take the plunge and purchase an 08 2.5i 5MT. I am coming from a 4.7L HO V8 Grand Cherokee (17-18 MPG in 90% highway driving). I have a 97-mile round-trip commute, 5 days a week.

Glad to see you've finally seen the light and got rid of that beast. However, I can't help but asking, what the heck were you doing driving that thing on a 97 mile round trip commute to work?

Glad to see you've finally seen the light and got rid of that beast. However, I can't help but asking, what the heck were you doing driving that thing on a 97 mile round trip commute to work?

I only had the Jeep for 6 weeks, and 75% of that time it was in the shop. Without getting into too many specifics, I work on the very top of a mountain near the WV/VA border. Due to my job (I work for the government in national security), I am on 24-hour recall, regardless of weather. My operations center typically activates for emergencies in the DC area- including weather emergencies. I have to be able to report to my site in one hour, regardless of weather, so AWD/4WD is essential, given the location of my site. I thought that the Jeep would be comfortable and reliable for years to come, as I had been a Jeep guy throughout HS, college, and grad school. I did not own my first car until I was 25 and lived in the DC area.

I bought the Jeep to replace my SpecV, which failed to get me up the mountain in some mildly bad weather in December. When I realized that the jeep was a lemon (I had owned and driven 5 jeeps for over 300K in total miles), I got rid of it and got the Legacy, but I was upside down on the Jeep, so the LGT was out of the question for financial reasons, plus I was in a hurry to dump the jeep. In the end, doing that will save me a ton of money in gas alone, despite losing $2800 when I sold the jeep.

If that's the case, you should have bought the turbo. You would have sacrificed 2-3 MPG but get 40% more HP!!

Sometimes I wish that I had done exactly that, but it was not an option at the time due to the reasons above.

Instead of having one do-it-all commuter and toy, I will use the L as a daily driver and get an E36 to play with. I have always wanted one as a project, and by keeping the L on the road and not sinking money into mods for it, I can divert those funds to building an E36 to play with. My wife came up with that plan...

Instead of having one do-it-all commuter and toy, I will use the L as a daily driver and get an E36 to play with. I have always wanted one as a project, and by keeping the L on the road and not sinking money into mods for it, I can divert those funds to building an E36 to play with. My wife came up with that plan...

That's actually a good idea. Sometimes I wish I had kept my mustang for when i wanted to play, and just bought a mazda5 or 2.5i for when I needed the extra space. Although, I do love the OBXT, even though the tires suck nuts and scream any time I go around a corner at more than 15 mph. I'm too cheap to change them until I use them up, so I guess I'll be doing all I can to use them up more quickly, except when the wife is in the car of course.

I took a trip to Columbia, MD and D.C. recently, drove about 450+ miles during two days. Mostly highway driving(75-85mph), a few stops here and there. I averaged around 31 MPG. I was having fun while I was driving too, so it could have been a bit higher if I would have let off the gas. I have an AVO air filter in it, so that helps with the air flow.

Archived