LegacyGT.com

Real-world 2.5 NA fuel mileage / economy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, I hate that annoying paperclip...

Right-click it with your mouse and tell it to go away...

BTW - In all of our Subes we saw incremental MPG improvements at ~25K miles and again at ~50K miles - about 2-3 MPGs improvement overall. These engines are tight and as they f-i-n-a-l-l-y break-in, they do improve - all else being equal (read: well maintained).

With the newer EPA testing processes and standards, the 2006 vehicles would have probably been rated at nearly 30mpg highway. Improved 2008 engines, aerodynamics, etc. should trap you just about that at steady state (~65 mph) on reasonably flat ground with the cruise control on. Since the OP looks to be in WV, with hills (and altitude), he may see less mpg than say a flat-lander would see. But, as always, YMMV

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I get about 2 mpg over the city and 5 over the hwy, but I also have a Weapon-R air intake. Its alot more efficient that the auto LGT I had before and faster too. :)

So you've jumped to a 4th gen finally?

SBT

I took a trip to Columbia, MD and D.C. recently, drove about 450+ miles during two days. Mostly highway driving(75-85mph), a few stops here and there. I averaged around 31 MPG.

That's about what I get under those conditions. Throw in some long stretches of 2 lane, 50 mph rural roads and I can get this, though!

P1010290.JPG.3e36f7554e672f6a4a1e3d57d86079ad.JPG

interesting...my mileage has plummeted to 21.5 mpg all city when i checked today. Maybe the stations are putting a lot more ethanol in that fuel mixture than I thought.

[see fine print sticker on every shell pump, for example]

Mine went as low as 21 driving around my parents' neighborhood in NJ. I think it was a combination of the stop and go driving, and likely 10% ethanol in the gas. I think a lot of NJ stations, if not all, are selling that crap now.

Mine went as low as 21 driving around my parents' neighborhood in NJ. I think it was a combination of the stop and go driving, and likely 10% ethanol in the gas. I think a lot of NJ stations, if not all, are selling that crap now.

Alledgedly, E85 "should" give you better performance once the ECU relearns/re-maps itself to use the high octane fuel... in theory anyway.

SBT

Can we run true E85?

Dunno on the NAs, but several of the GT brethren/sistren are, and they're tuning to use it, so that may be the determinant.

Is there anything in your manual about E85? When I bought my 05, E85 was barely on the scene (and not at all in SoCal) so I don't recall if there's a comment in the manual about it or not.

Should be something though, given the increasing availability of E85.

SBT

i get pretty bad gas mileage, but i drive pure city and on tight small roads with traffic lights at every block so it's stop and go every 20 secs pretty much, it's bullshit but unfortunately that's my commute. i run about 17.5mpg in the city, 4EAT tranny, i drive conservatively cause i already know my mileage is bad enough haha

07 with about 7k on the engine

i get pretty bad gas mileage, but i drive pure city and on tight small roads with traffic lights at every block so it's stop and go every 20 secs pretty much, it's bullshit but unfortunately that's my commute. i run about 17.5mpg in the city, 4EAT tranny, i drive conservatively cause i already know my mileage is bad enough haha

07 with about 7k on the engine

Once you hit about 25K on the engine, you should see a slight increase in gas mileage as the engine finally loosens up, and again at ~50K. Not sure why this is, but that's been consistent across all of our Subes. Then at 250K pull the pistons, put new rings on, and repeat the process... YMMV.

SBT

Here, it's a bit blurry.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/0629081941.jpg

That's 38.7 MPG

Filled up, cleared trip odometer, pulled out of gas station, and cruised at ~45 for about 4-5 miles. :p

After some stop and go, it was down to a whole 34.2

After a trip to work or two, I expect it to be back down to ~24-26mpg

2006 2.5i Wagon

4EAT

15k miles on the odo

Tires at about 34 PSI

Recent trip with the wifey to Pittsburg, PA and back to Iowa City, IA via Chicago yielded about 31.2 mpg. That is driving over 70mph most of the time on regular gas with a little city driving as well. Probably didn't have much of an effect but changed the oil before the trip to Penzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30. Don't usually use synthetic but got it for free at O'Reilly after rebate.

2006 2.5i Wagon

4EAT

15k miles on the odo

Tires at about 34 PSI

Recent trip with the wifey to Pittsburg, PA and back to Iowa City, IA via Chicago yielded about 31.2 mpg. That is driving over 70mph most of the time on regular gas with a little city driving as well. Probably didn't have much of an effect but changed the oil before the trip to Penzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-30. Don't usually use synthetic but got it for free at O'Reilly after rebate.

Great mileage. Curious about the synth-effect. Any similar experiences with high-speed distance driving, without regular dino? Mileage (MPG) differences?

Do check your Tire Pressures, sounds like they're balanced front and rear at 34 psi. Help your AWD and re-bias them to stock bias listed on your door frame or in your manual.

BTW - were you going to Pittsburgh, PA in Western, PA? I grew up North of there and still have family and friends there.

SBT

Yeah sorry, Pittsburgh, PA... typo. I was visiting my borther and sister in-law who live there... they are moving back to midwest though in July so I will probably not go back again.

I do have the rears with slightly less pressure as it says to on the door frame, I was just simplifying my stats.

I am currently driving a '99 Jeep Cherokee like the OP (15-18 mpg) and the 2.5 NA Legacy SE is at the top of my list. In fact I just got back from the dealer where I test drove a MT black one. I would be more than happy with 25 city/30 highway.

Just found this interesting.

I switched to premium fuel for this tank. 2 things happened.

1) The MPG trip computer gauge is the most accurate it has ever been. 25.4 actual to 25.8 reported.

2) the 25.4 is better than the 23.5 I've typically been getting.

Results say that with my 07 EJ25 NA engine, premium pays for itself.

i have a 2006 legacy 2.5i and im currently getting 35 mpg city/highway. i recently took a trip to greenbrier county wv. and i got right at 40 mpg i know u guys think this is crazy but its true you just have to watch how you drive plus i was only doing like 60mph the whole way there.

Yea, that sounds about right. I have the 5MT and I usually get around 30 mpg, mixed city/highway driving. I'm usually conservative with the throttle, but I have fun also :)

I'm going to do a full exhaust job(headers, high flow cat, catback) this summer, I want to see if this will affect(affect/effect???wtf) the MPG at all.

Just found this interesting.

I switched to premium fuel for this tank. 2 things happened.

1) The MPG trip computer gauge is the most accurate it has ever been. 25.4 actual to 25.8 reported.

2) the 25.4 is better than the 23.5 I've typically been getting.

Results say that with my 07 EJ25 NA engine, premium pays for itself.

Has this happened on more than one occassion, or just one tank?

i'm hard on my gas alot >>

i'm averaging about 24(just installed full CAI, at least i'm calling it CAI), i was getting about 25.5 w/ my intake that everyone was bitching at me about, but after i installed it i'm getting less mpg b/c it needs a tune for it or slightly larger injectors to get the CEL off. lol

i was averaging 30-32 highway on cruise at around 80-85 on my way home from grandparents hour and a half drive.

05 legacy 2.5i 96k miles.

GrayT

I'm on my second tank of premium.

So far, still getting ~1.5-2MPG more. (This is your friendly neighborhood small sample size alert, reminding you that this test is in no way conclusive)

I may be imagining it, but I think the engine is more willing to rev up with premium, but I haven't done enough comparisons to say for certain.

All I can say is that at 10:1 (my compression ratio), I'd expect improvement with higher octane. However, that does not mean there is one given real world constraints.

One last note, the best way to calculate these kind of things is cost per mile. According to a gearhead friend of mine (Warning: following may or may not be true) many modern high compression cars get slightly better mileage on premium, but as their manuals only call for regular, you should use whichever costs less per mile. In the Legacy's case, ~1.5MPG increase means that premium is cheaper when regular is 4.10 and premium is 4.30.

My understanding is that its more cost effective to run 89 then to upgrade to 93. Nevertheless, the results are interesting. I might do a bit of experimentation on my next long trip. Whats $2.00 more when you are already paying $50-$60 to fill the tank.

Archived