LegacyGT.com

Official CENTRAL VALLEY, CA Thread!!!!!

FJuan

Yup, just take the complete heads/cams to the shop and they will check for clearance and make adjustment.

If you want to take the motor out, it will make things a lot easier to work on. Otherwise, if you're just doing the head gasket, you can do it while it's still in the car.

It would be wise to order the full head gasket kit, so you'll have all the gaskets needed to get it done. Also, don't forget to get new head bolts.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check... I'm thinking pull the motor. Just confirmed, I have access to barrow a stand and lift. Yes ARP studs and nuts are going to be on my list. Going to try and order most everything from Infamous.

Possibly have the Norcal meet over at the house a BBQ in mid August while were at it. :)

Tracy is not that hot lately but I'm sure once I get started on this it's going to cook.

I've been rebuilding the front end of an 03 and its been hot in Brentwood the last few weekends but not unbearable.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/y3esavah.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/4u5uzyve.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/uva8aga9.jpg

Friend that will loan me the lift and stand had to pull all the passenger core support and fender back in place on his Nissan dully hard body flat bed truck. He traded labor for the job. Same auto body shop I just had fix some BS after the basket ball stand decided to topple in the wind on our cars.

Doing it right is not always easy... Yours looks really good!

Check... I'm thinking pull the motor. Just confirmed, I have access to barrow a stand and lift. Yes ARP studs and nuts are going to be on my list. Going to try and order most everything from Infamous.

Possibly have the Norcal meet over at the house a BBQ in mid August while were at it. :)

Tracy is not that hot lately but I'm sure once I get started on this it's going to cook.

You should go for it. Last time I did headgaskets was on my wife's Forester. It was a Single cam head so that made things a little more breezy. I was living in Danville at the time (East Bay) and took the heads to Tri-Valley Machine in Martinez. They do all the head work for Diablo Subaru. They only charged me $90 and just asked that I remove the rockers and cams. Dropped them off on a Friday afternoon and picked them up the next morning. They could probably turn it around in an afternoon if you give them the heads up.

As far as valve lash and shims. Just make sure you stay organized and keep the buckets and shims sorted and labeled so you can put everything back where it came from. I've been told that's the best place to start when setting the lash.

Parts wise: I would get the head gaskets, valve cover/spark plug hole gaskets, head bolts (or ARP studs if you have the extra money), spare bucket shims, and all the parts to do a 100k service (timing belt, H20 pump, tensioner, idlers, pulleys. Just buy a crane hoist and engine stand with some coupons from Harbor Freight, or find them on Craigslist.

You can do it. It wont be easy but you will be happy with your self for doing it. Plus you will save about $1500-$2000 in labor.:cool:

Nice, you got her back together already. Looks good.

Got her back looking real this past weekend and just in time too. The kid just passed her drivers license test earlier today. ;)

Only thing that is not hooked up yet is the AC. The headlights don't work yet either because I have to modify the wiring since I put GT lights in it instead of L headlights.

Doing it right is not always easy... Yours looks really good!

Thanks! This was my first attempt at welding too. 1 out of every 4 plug welds was near perfect. The others were not pretty, but certainly do the job. I made sure when we bought the car that the damage was limited to just the front sheet metal (radiator support, upper and lower, and headlight buckets) and that there was no damage to the under-fenders where all that stuff mounts to. This way it was easy to line everything up without really having to measure anything. As you can see, the original bumper cover is intact, as was the crash bar, so the hood, headlights and upper radiator are what took the brunt of the original accident. I really didn't even need to get new fenders but I did in order to save myself time and frustration.

The boy just got lucky with the insurance company of the other driver in his first wreck. They paid him 2K more than he paid for the car. Now there is a TSX in the driveway.

He would have had to do the same core support job you just finished on your subaru. Just showed him your pictures. :)

I'm one to go overboard. So on the list is a set of ARP studs and nuts. Just sent a question to Mike cause there are two different kits on this website. Also picking up the full motor gasket kit. Will need to go to Subaru for some more coolant hoses and such. So at the end I'll probably have 1800 in parts.

You just said exactly what I just explained to the boy. I'd rather do this myself so next time it's not concern.

Mike already emailed me back that the kit I was ordering was overkill for my needs... :)

Quantity Product Price Total

Subaru Downpipe to Intermediate Pipe Donut Gasket $15.50 $15.50 ×

Group N Motor Mount's $62.00 $62.00 ×

Gates Racing Subaru Timing Kit - With Kevlar Racing Timing Belt $290.00 $290.00 ×

Group N Motor Mount's $62.00 $62.00 ×

Group N Pitch Stop Mount $47.00 $47.00 ×

Venair Silicone Throttle Body Hose $51.50 $51.50 ×

Subaru Downpipe To Intermediate Pipe Hardware $19.00 $19.00 ×

GrimmSpeed 02-10+ WRX/STi/LGT Header Collectors to Crossover Gasket Pair 7-layer 20% thicker then OEM $20.23 $20.23 ×

GrimmSpeed 02-10+ WRX/STi/LGT Manifold to Uppipe Gasket 7-layer 22% thicker then OEM $14.07 $14.07 ×

Subaru EJ25 11mm Oil Pump $135.00 $135.00 ×

Subaru 05-06 Legacy GT Full Engine Gasket and Seal Kit $223.00 $223.00 ×

ARP Subaru EJ20 & EJ25 Head Stud Kit $204.00 $204.00 ×

I need to start a rebuild thread... So we can show WaspGT how it's done. ;)

Making a list of parts from subaru next. Water pump and some more coolant hoses. Have the new radiator and some hoses replaced already. Discussing the full bore oil line kit with Mike now so I replace all the hard lines. Need to get a roll of good fuel hose as well.

Mechanic buddy is looking at me like I'm stupid just slapping the heads on this block. He thinks at minimum new rings on it this existing pistons. Guess well see if it needs em once it's cracked open.

Started a build thread. Tell me if I'm high over there so I can get my head on straight what else is needed. Figure replace pistons and rings or just go short block build and STFU. I have not pulled the trigger on the Infamous cart yet. Loading up whats needed.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kzr750r1-2006-obxt-head-gasket-motor-refresh-228229.html

Wow, been a while since I saw this thread going.. And looks like a rebuild? Awesome!! Hopefully that's going well (as I can see).. But yes yes, I been on, but mainly looking at the for sale threads only.. So never knew this was back up and running. Anyways, a mini meet will be perfect!!! =] be good to meet F1 again and see what's out there now..

• 3 weeks later...
Just dropping by a moment, I'll be moving to Monterey this fall for work. Going to be there a couple years it seems. Just thought I'd drop in before the move and see what the scene is like in the area, many meets or track fun times?

• 1 year later...
http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20151202&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=Dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=66.234.199.109&pvaid=6d2c2dc01db141ce8c7e4c195373f560&dt=Desktop&sid=1830193568.2882075271224.1449086944&vid=1830193568.2882075271224.1426791451.1703&fcoi=417&fcop=topnav&fct.uid=243283b6629b4828aad7994a67130d48&fpid=2&en=0WEFU%2FZhSoTF%2FFm%2BpLeuVl4UPZzISdzyg%2BaGYj7N8ISb7M1aTnzzgA%3D%3D&du=http%3A%2F%2F24.media.tumblr.com%2F0e8f2fc0a20adb49f18197d29dbdb4e8%2Ftumblr_mjhlgxxVvZ1rdutw3o1_400.gif&ru=http%3A%2F%2F24.media.tumblr.com%2F0e8f2fc0a20adb49f18197d29dbdb4e8%2Ftumblr_mjhlgxxVvZ1rdutw3o1_400.gif&ap=2&coi=772&cop=main-title&npp=2&p=0&pp=0&ep=2&mid=9&hash=4669558C3F8D3A1D94F9EEA46576DADD

Archived