LegacyGT.com

What Brake Fluid/ Brake Lines/ Rotors are you using?

2006Specb122

1. STOCK

2. STOCK

3. STOCK

Hoping to get DBA400s with the lovely kangaroo pad venting system. :)

I will most likely order slotted and cross drilled.

Deciding between Goodridge and Techna-Fit lines. Stoptech seem too pricey.

Can't beat the price of the Techna-Fit.

Not sure which Brake Fluid to go with.

OH, and I'm going with Hawk HPS pads.....

just trying to get an idea of what others are doing.

The main reason why the ATE interested me was the two different colors you could get....so you know it was flushed and changed completely...

Once you're familiar with bleeding/flushing the system, you'll be able to see the difference between new and old fluids regardless of color. When I bleed after a track day, the fluid in the front calipers is a little discolored, but quickly flows clear after a few pumps. The Valvoline synthetic is clear when new and easily distinguishable from the darker OEM.

ignore him, he'll go away.

A regularly driven street car will only need a flush per the service interval of 30K I believe. I bleed my brakes after every track day and flush them at the end of the season. This is why I choose to use the less expensive Valvoline synthetic. It never sits in my lines for very long and its not a good idea to hold onto bottles of fluid once the seal is broken.
ignore him, he'll go away.

i got my ATE fluid at my subaru dealer. if your subaru dealer does performance things (like spt & cobb stuff) they will most likely have alot of the fluids we use on our cars.

1L of ATE super blue $15 - not the cheapest, but always in stock. plus i'm new to brake bleeding, so i'm gonna need the color distinction for a few bleeds.

brian

Instead of basing fluid changes on mileage, it is a little better to do it based on time, or conditions...

Anytime you do track days/auto-x, you heat of the fluid and might have boiled it a little. Due to that, it is good to at least bleed the system and top it off.

If you experience fade on the street (for you crazy types) a lot of time it is green fade (pad) but it could also be boiling of the fluid. Just in case, bleed your brakes to get out the air, and top the system off to keep it full.

Lastly, over time moisture seeps into the braking system and lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid. On most fluids, esecially if you will be taking the car to the track, you should change it about once a year. The mileage has little effect, just the time it has been in the lines...

:spin:

Instead of basing fluid changes on mileage, it is a little better to do it based on time, or conditions...

Anytime you do track days/auto-x, you heat of the fluid and might have boiled it a little. Due to that, it is good to at least bleed the system and top it off.

If you experience fade on the street (for you crazy types) a lot of time it is green fade (pad) but it could also be boiling of the fluid. Just in case, bleed your brakes to get out the air, and top the system off to keep it full.

Lastly, over time moisture seeps into the braking system and lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid. On most fluids, esecially if you will be taking the car to the track, you should change it about once a year. The mileage has little effect, just the time it has been in the lines...

All very great points!

Someone hit me with a stick.....

The brake fluid was the ONLY thing I did NOT do in my 30k service.

I did everything else myself but have not touched the brakes.

The fluid never changes levels and always looks clean from the top.

I will definately do this very soon.

Just not sure if I want to do braided lines now....or when I get new rotors and pads down the road.

Unless I am on a back road twisty I feel like I never even use my brakes.

They are very lightly used.

I'm usually downshifting and using the engine speed as a brake.

I rarely have to smash on the brakes.

Maybe that will pro long my fluid, pad, and rotor life?

I don't think I have ever experienced brake fade....

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/brake-fade.php

Brake fluid by nature absorbs water, water reduces the brake fluids effectiveness and can cause corrosion to the braking components. For these reasons brake fluid should be flushed somewhat regularly. Humid climates need it more often than dry climates.

The only difference you'll see between ATE/Motul and Valvoline is a lighter wallet.

Disagree. But it also depends on your intended use. Valvoline has lower dry and wet boiling points. The important characteristic is the wet BP. For a street car, this equates to more frequent flushes. For track cars, the dry BP is a more important number to look at because track cars tend to flush fluid more frequently anyways and therefore wet BP is not as important.

Valvoline: 513Dry / 333 Wet

ATE: 536/392

GS610: 626/417

That's why we recommend GS610. Good track numbers and also high wet numbers for those who dont want to flush as much for street.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Was talking in reference to a street driven vehicle. Your never gonna heat your brakes up enough getting to work for the $25/bottle magic.

In general true, however, with the lower wet BP, if one were to extend service intervals, there is a possibility of fade or soft pedal.

With that said, there are prolly people out there with 10+ year old cars who still have factory fluid :eek:

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived