LegacyGT.com

Cracked leather on e-brake boot

vr4Legacy

I'm a bit dissapointed and honestly hope you guys all say "never seen it, that's odd" but here goes...

I just got my LGT back from the body shop last week, very impressed with the body work, I can't tell, so that's enough for me.... anyway just the other day my wife was in the car and asked me what happened to my leather on my e-brake. I looked down and sure enough it's cracked in a couple places. Sorry no pics, I can post some later if need be. Essentially at the creases on the back side and underside by the handle.

Basically I am curious if possibly the fact that it was in the body shop for a month may have dried out the leather and caused some premature cracking, or if the leather is that cheap, or if it's just a fluke.....

In any case, I'm heading to the dealer sometime this week to have them take a look and presumably get a new one under warranty.:rolleyes:

Any thoughts??

There's a TSB for that happening actually: http://www.thel7.com/TSB/03-56-07.pdf. Check your VIN number to see if it comes before the ones listed there (the ones on the list are the first cars they started using the new boots on). You should probably take a copy of that with you to the dealer to make sure they order the improved one for you too. Good luck!

Thanks LGT Dave, I'll have that in hand when I go in. I think I'll call ahead and see if they'll just order me one so I don't have to drive there to prove it. I agree with FlyBoy.... I am happy now. My only complaing with my LGT seems to already have been adressed.

I don't quite understand the bulletein though... it seems that the cars with the noted VINs used the newer part... am I correct it reading this. Also my VIN starts with a 4S3BL, the bulletein doesn't show anything similar. I do beleive it was manufactured befor August however.

Also why does it have wagon listed a choice if this only concerns '07 & '08 models??? Is this for Canada too??

Thanks LGT Dave, I'll have that in hand when I go in. I think I'll call ahead and see if they'll just order me one so I don't have to drive there to prove it. I agree with FlyBoy.... I am happy now. My only complaing with my LGT seems to already have been adressed.

I don't quite understand the bulletein though... it seems that the cars with the noted VINs used the newer part... am I correct it reading this. Also my VIN starts with a 4S3BL, the bulletein doesn't show anything similar. I do beleive it was manufactured befor August however.

Also why does it have wagon listed a choice if this only concerns '07 & '08 models??? Is this for Canada too??

Actually, now that you mention it, I think the numbers they give for the VIN are the last 8 digits in your number. If decoded that way, the 8 at the beginning signifies the model year (2008), the * would be where the manufacturing plant code goes and the last 6 digits are basically the car's ID code.

The wagons are still offered in Canada, so that's probably why they're listed there.

The VIN's on the sheet are the last 8 digits...went to my dealership today and they had to have me sign for the part to be ordered....he also said that it did not matter if I had the bulliten or not, it is covered under the new car warranty. He said it will take about a week or so to get the part then they will call me and install it for me.

Wagons were available in '07. I think, if I am wrong I have no doubt that I will be quickly, and "tactfully" corrected...ha ha ha

Thanks flyboy, I figured it should be covered either way, but it is reassuring to know Subaru saw the problem and fixed it mid year. It does suck that I have to get it fixed, but it's good to know they stand behind their cars.

I'll swing by this week.

stopped by today. I checked my shifter boot real close too and it's start to crack. They "had to have a tech verify" which took about 20 mins. But no problems other than that. I even asked if I could get a black boot instead of taupe to match my shifter and brake handle. DONE!!

Now i just have to wait for it to get here.....

I'll take pics of the before and after with the boot color change (I hope I made a good decision :))

I didn't think I would need to condition brand new leather after 3 months...

I agree periodic conditioning is a good idea, but from the TSB it is obvious there was a problem with the material and it's fixed.

But I will rub some in well when I get the new one on and keep a better eye on it. The shifter boot was even starting to crack, it was harder to see because it's black, and there are a lot smaller creases, but I would suggest anyone with the e-brake boot problem look at your shifter real close too.

Dude... Perfrect oppotrunity to upgrade to genuine italian leather from Redlinegoods.com

There is usually a discount code in the vendor section of the classifieds as well. Dooo itttt! Great improvement in interior quality!

I am by no means involved with this company, but I have used the boots from redline goods in several past nissans and in my parents' dodge stealth and I cannot say enough about how nice the shift boots are:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Legacy05shiftboot.shtm

The have discount codes from time to time. I know that the main thrust of the thread it lousy OEM quality, but if you want an inexpensive, simple mod that can really look great, the redline boots are a good option.

I have never been impressed with OEM leather in most sport sedans that i have owned in the past (maximas, I30s, sentras, etc.) and I was not thrilled with the OEM leather on the test drive of an 08 2.5i that I looked at this monday. I have already contacted maceik (the main guy for redline) about a custom boots for the legacy, if I move forward with the purchase.

these are really nice quality. I've owned both black with red piping, and black with blue piping both have been excellent quality. I also ordered a sample of the alcantara. Fine quality there as well. Here is a link to a thread about it on our site:http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21775

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the improved boots. I finally got time to go and get it put on today while I had the car there for service. Wow, completely different material.

The whole piece is now leather wrapped rather than just the upper half that moves around the handle. A much better quality; thinner, quieter (doesn't sound like a paper bag anymore), and softer. I recommend getting this replaced if anyone has this issue.

Update on the improved boots. I finally got time to go and get it put on today while I had the car there for service. Wow, completely different material.

The whole piece is now leather wrapped rather than just the upper half that moves around the handle. A much better quality; thinner, quieter (doesn't sound like a paper bag anymore), and softer. I recommend getting this replaced if anyone has this issue.

What did you upgrade it to?

Archived