LegacyGT.com

Why are 2008's producing less power than previous years ?

Chubien

my 08 spec b makes a lot more power than my 05 lgt. 08 spec b dyno'd 219whp/244tq and my 05 lgt dyno'd 185whp/210tq on the exact same dyno. the 05 lgt got a stage 2 and custom dyno tune, made 238/248. I expect my 08 to dyno 270/290 (stg2 + dyno tune), but we'll see once the protuner software is released.

thats a pretty glaring discrepancy.

Auto's inherently dyno lower because of higher drivetrain loss, and the torque converter slipping and masking some of the numbers.

Mod for mod, and on the same dyno/day/fuel/atmospheric conditions, an equivelantly modded 5MT will show more power on the dyno than a 5EAT. However, even when the dyno chart is identical, the 5EAT/Torque Converters ability to mask some lag isn't always shown ;)

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Boostjunkie has tuned a few cars but is not a tuner

Sorry Paul :p

But I do agree that 07-08 are making close to stg 1 05-06 LGT's whp. Probally the big reason most 07-08 owners aren't noticing much change (powerwise) from the AP's stage 1 mapping.

Couldn't agree with you more about the tuner part. I have indeed tuned a few cars, but I am not a tuner per se. I'm really just gaining experience right now. I hate to admit it as a Subaru guy, but I'm far more comfortable tuning Evo's right now than Subarus.

Anyways, from the cars I have seen on the dyno, the 07+ cars are stronger from the factory than the 05-06 cars. They fall a little short of Stage 1 05-06 LGT power, but are reasonably close.

However, even when the dyno chart is identical, the 5EAT/Torque Converters ability to mask some lag isn't always shown ;)

Mike

Was that my cue to show the dyno graphs of your car versus mine? Here they are: First both cars graphed versus rpm (as we are used to seeing). Mine is a 5MT running pump gas only, Mike's is a 5EAT running pump plus methanol injection. Both cars have plenty of mods.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/PaulversusMike.jpg

Remarkably similar peak numbers and area under the curve.

Here are the same run files graphed versus time. What this means is if we both floored it at the same time, even though we are making the same power and spooling the same on the dyno, Mike would leave me in the dust and I'd never catch him. Granted, it's a bit of an odd race since I'd never just floor it at 2000rpm, but the graph does illustrate clearly how the 5EAT's largely mask lag on the street:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/PaulversusMike-Time.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more about the tuner part. I have indeed tuned a few cars, but I am not a tuner per se. I'm really just gaining experience right now. I hate to admit it as a Subaru guy, but I'm far more comfortable tuning Evo's right now than Subarus.

Tuner in training but master installer....

Was that my cue to show the dyno graphs of your car versus mine? Here they are: First both cars graphed versus rpm (as we are used to seeing). Mine is a 5MT running pump gas only, Mike's is a 5EAT running pump plus methanol injection. Both cars have plenty of mods.

I was waiting to see Ed's reply before posting it, but thanks!

It'd only be a race till my tranny blows up ;)

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Archived