LegacyGT.com

Is the AP Vehicle Specific?

SpecBee

Depends which car model year you have,

APs for Foresters & WRX up to 07 MY and Legacys up to 06 MY - yes, vehicle specific

new AP for all the new CANbus subarus (07/08 Legacys + 08+ WRX) - universal unit

its unclear from the instruction manual wether the 08 Sti will require their own separate AP/software AFAIK, but the new ver 2.0 CANbus AP will plug into any of the above mentioned cars, then recognize which car and model year its plugged into, and bring up the appropriate maps. Its great because the resale value on these new units has skyrocketed since you can resell to a wider array of owners.

Wow.

Ok I will be nice.

ALL Accessports identify themselves with only ONE vehicle at a time. Meaning you have to completely "divorce" an AP from a vehicle - as in return to OEM settings - before it may be used on another Subaru.

Now v1 AP is vehicle specific, transmission specific, year specific (ex. 2006 Legacy GT auto) while v2 AP are engine specific (2.0 vs 2.5). That is my current understanding as of 19:00 hours this evening of Wednesday 9th January 2008 A.D.

K, so now that I have used it on my Subie I cannot use it on another? I kinda told my wifey that I could make money with this thing and that's why she agreed to me buying it.... :redface:

youre welcome to try, but unless you unpair it from your car, you will not be happy with the results.

We spoke and as long as it increases MPG I will be fine......:argue:

That's exactly what I had used as excuses so far, but my wife seems to have gotten smarter. "So wait, you want to go to Step 2 or whatever it's called to get some better gas mileage? Right, I'm sure there are no added power benefits"

Shit

not to rain on your parade but do you want to sit down and crank out some rough calculations how many years youll have to drive that car w a reflash before you make up about $700-800 in fuel savings (cost of purchasing the AP) youre lucky your wife bought that arguement. i dont think i would have been as lucky to pull off the same trick :lol:

for example i did some rough guess calculations in my head, assuming you fill up evry 2-3 weeks, and save about $2-3 per fillup, assming this is your daily driver and 52 weeks in a year, at the fastest, youll break even on your AP purchase in approx 11-16 years...

edkwon Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecBee http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

not to rain on your parade but do you want to sit down and crank out some rough calculations how many years youll have to drive that car w a reflash before you make up about $700-800 in fuel savings (cost of purchasing the AP) youre lucky your wife bought that arguement. i dont think i would have been as lucky to pull off the same trick :lol:

for example i did some rough guess calculations in my head, assuming you fill up evry 2-3 weeks, and save about $2-3 per fillup, assming this is your daily driver and 52 weeks in a year, at the fastest, youll break even on your AP purchase in approx 11-16 years...

It could be sooner.... I fill up once a week and sometimes twice in two weeks. So 2.5 X 52 = 130 and 650/130 = 5 years.... And once gas hits $5 or $6 a gal it may only take 3 years.... Not long to be in the dog house....:rolleyes:

Archived