LegacyGT.com

Blind spot mirrors, do you use them?

Remembering back 15 Years ago from drivers ED, Blind spots are not the mirrors fault, assuming they are adjusted correctly, the blind spot is something that occurs because of our own eye, something to do with the lens optic, this occurs in the peripheral vision.

To the poster who suggested concave mirrors versus flat mirrors, there is a reason only the passenger mirror is concave, I quote, objects in mirror may appear closer than they actually are, the flat mirror on the driver side shows true distance.

If you look at all trucks, buses, and campers they all come with blind spot mirrors, especially school buses they have on the front of the vehicle.

At some JDM vehicles all had them, if you look at the new JDM Forester, there is a third mirror on the front fender.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is interesting…first off, I too think the stick on blind spot mirrors are fugly. Not unlike curb feelers, tape hanging off the rear bumper with reflectors, etc. But…

After my post this morning, I adjusted my mirrors as described and it definitely works well…very well.

It’s going to take some time to get used to though as old habits have me looking in the wrong place for a second.

Still the only concern is bikers and backing up. Bikers…I suppose I’ll take my chances for a little and see how it goes. As for backing up, most of my friends think I should drive that way all the time because I could thread a needle going that way.. J

I’ll let ya’ll know how it goes in a month.

Drew

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

This is so elementary that I can't believe it is going on in this forum with a bunch of educated drivers. Didn't we all take drivers ed??? no? defensive driving class???

Bottom Line:

1) When looking over your shoulder, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to the car in front of you slamming his brakes.

2) Blind spot mirrors still don't offer peripheral vision (not that any others do) and are completely 100% unnecessary when you adjust your mirrors properly. Cars were designed by people with at least half a brain. Rear view mirror --> Side view mirror --> plain sight...can't get much easier

3) It is safer to adjust your mirrors properly than to have a blind spot mirror two inches big that you rely on to tell you if there is someone there.

Just adjust your mirrors properly and stop looking for ways to make your cars ugly, spend a couple of unnecessary bucks, and we can all ultimately be safer - and that's exactly what this is, a safety issue!

I tried the 'new' (to me at least) method of aiming the side mirrors, and it does work great, but with one exception. Sitting in traffic, trying to get a view down an adjacent lane for an opening to change into, while there is a large suv on your bumper blocking your view. At that point, you lose all visibility as to whats going on behind you in the adjacent lanes, except for the small "blind spot" area that the mirror shows.

Ended up having to revert back to the conventional mirror method to switch lanes through heavy traffic in the city.

I tried the 'new' (to me at least) method of aiming the side mirrors, and it does work great, but with one exception. Sitting in traffic, trying to get a view down an adjacent lane for an opening to change into, while there is a large suv on your bumper blocking your view. At that point, you lose all visibility as to whats going on behind you in the adjacent lanes, except for the small "blind spot" area that the mirror shows.

Ended up having to revert back to the conventional mirror method to switch lanes through heavy traffic in the city.

That's when you swivel your head. Much easier and safer when your are "sitting." Now go back and readjust mirrors properly, please. ;)

I made the adjustment today and in traffic on the highway it worked really well. I had drivers ed but they never taught me this technique. In fact I mentioned this to several co workers and none of them was familiar with this. Amazing...

I've demonstrated it to my wife but she refuses to adjust her mirrors according to this method. Makes her "uncomfortable."

Me, too, somewhat, but I view it as a safey valve. If I get lazy once in a while with a headcheck (and I have), this saves me. It's like two layers of protection, but with just as much sensation.

That's when you swivel your head. Much easier and safer when your are "sitting." Now go back and readjust mirrors properly, please. ;)

I spend way too much time driving in heavy traffic to lose that much visibility. I'll live with the conventional method coupled with my convex broadway mirror :cool:

I got rear ended in my old IS300 by someone doing exactly that while merging..

Well, if you don't look over your shoulder when making a manoevre, then you will lose points on your driving test in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070312

Read section 161

But of course the UK test is nowhere near the standard of the US tests :lol:

Have you tried adjusting your mirrors as suggested? If not you speak from inexperience. It works.

The Volvo sensor is idiocy. Adjust your mirrors or turn your stupid head. The convex mirror was an early attempt to do what the that stupid sensor is supposed to do -- help lazy drivers. They want to do anything but pay attention to what they are doing while behind the wheel.

The convex mirror is a simple solution to poor informed drivers. If it works, why bother with a stupid sensor? Just more complexity and weight making vehicles bigger and heavier.

I've demonstrated it to my wife but she refuses to adjust her mirrors according to this method. Makes her "uncomfortable."

Me, too, somewhat, but I view it as a safey valve. If I get lazy once in a while with a headcheck (and I have), this saves me. It's like two layers of protection, but with just as much sensation.

Thanks KartRacerBoy for telling me to turn my "stupid head". Infact I do turn it and have blind spot mirrors on my car.

Cars and blind spots have existed together for ages. Don't you think others have tried to come up with this stupid way of adjusting mirrors and found them to be unsafe. You cannot reinvent the wheel buddy.

Atleast your wife does not trust what you showed her and you ended up being an idiot by saying you were uncomfortablen (see second quote) . Who is stupid now?

Thanks KartRacerBoy for telling me to turn my "stupid head". Infact I do turn it and have blind spot mirrors on my car.

Cars and blind spots have existed together for ages. Don't you think others have tried to come up with this stupid way of adjusting mirrors and found them to be unsafe. You cannot reinvent the wheel buddy.

Atleast your wife does not trust what you showed her and you ended up being an idiot by saying you were uncomfortablen (see second quote) . Who is stupid now?

Listen Dudley, I was talking about the Volvo sensor and the inventors who saw the need for it. But if you want to take offense, it is your right.

And no I don't think people have found this method unsafe. Unless they adjusted them incorrectly, but that doesn't make the method unsafe. The danger comes from poor adjustment.

This method made me uncomfortable until I grew used to it and tested it as I passed cars. And I still head check with my stupid head. Again, two layers of protection. But if I forget to, I can see the car in my blind spot in my peripheral vision.

I did say my wife is uncomfortable and won't use it at all. She likes the mirror to show the side of her car for some silly reason.

Aussie reading comprehension isn't what it used to be.

Sorry man.

I guess if you have them set that way and still use head check then, setting them in conventional way and using blind spots mirrors like I do is still alright.

I guess the Volvo sensor is OK because Volvo drivers don't do head checks not indicate what they are going to do. Have you ever thought why motorcyclists are scared of them?

Seeing the side of you car is a good way to get reference of where things are. Again, I'm sorry man.

Is it really so difficult to look over your shoulder ?

Yeah, it is.

It's hard enough SMS'ing on my blackberry, drinking coffee, reading the newspaper, and watching movies on the nav system.. having to steer and shift at the same time is hard enough, never mind having to shoulder check... all while driving.

C'mon..

i like seeing my front door handles in my side view mirrors :lol:

i never adjusted my mirrors like it was described in the article, but they were adjusted to the point where my car dissapeared from the sideview mirror. and with my sitting position it is kinda impossible to adjust them just like they say in the articles. I'll never use the BS mirrors

You know, the little round mirrors that attach to your side mirrors. I had them on my last car and they really help to get a clear view of whats ont he side of you. But they look ugly. I was debating putting them on my LGT. Anyone use them on theirs?

I promised to put pictures of the blind spot mirrors I have on my car. Here they are.

Forgive me If I'm wrong, but they do not look too bad.

For the rest of the car pictures, follow the link below;

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72410

IMAGE_352.thumb.jpg.55ed9ac82c00e5b5b6f769fffe72e2d2.jpg

IMAGE_353.thumb.jpg.36061d8ab5897d0a29f7f4c9673e7395.jpg

IMAGE_354.thumb.jpg.a65ce4984c0d7d0e0245859f301af97a.jpg

Archived