LegacyGT.com

Blind spot mirrors, do you use them?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i use them aluminum blind spot mirrors, placed furthest out and on the bottom. that way the heat from the side mirror gets absorbed by the aluminum and it melts the ice on the BS mirror too. i also have my mirror adjusted to see the least amount of my side to reduce blind spot, ive tried to adjust it as mentioned before, but since it shoots out at such a large angle, i find it impractical and disorienting to use in the city.

to add a little more.

think of it this way...do you trust your life in the other cars "hands"?

i bet you will so no.

my advice. simply be aware where other cars are around you. don't drive in their "blind spot" and be aware of cars that may be in yours. speed up or slow down if they are in yours or if you are in theirs.

don't lane change into their blind spot.

if you pass someone and you don't see them in your rear view a few seconds later...chances are they are trying to race you and are now possibly in your blind spot...just be aware.

i always look though.

I have mine so i can see just a little bit of the side of my car. But I also have a clip on wide rearview mirror, Just looking in my rearview mirror i can see out my rear windshield and rear side window. So I dont really use my side mirrors that much since i can pretty much see everyting from the rearview mirror.

You should not see your car in your mirror....it serves completely no purpose other than to increase your blind spot. When the car leaves your rear view mirror, it should enter your side view mirror. When it leaves the side view mirror, it should be in plain sight next to you.

:whore:

I was taught this method by a professional rally driver when I first started to drive and have used it ever since. When your mirrors are adjusted properly as described above, there is absolutely no need for BS mirrors. As for stick on mirrors, they just look dorky, something I expect to see on a 20 year old Impala.:lol:

And who needs BS mirrors to parallel park?:confused: I just turn around to look where I am going and whip it into the spot. You should inherently know the dimensions of your car and where it will fit.

Hmmm. Nope. Never have used them. I don't find them necessary. The only car that would fit in the blind spot between my rearview and side mirrors is a SMART. And they deserve whatever they get...
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Mercedes benz, honda, nissan, etc have curved or convex mirrors on some of their cars (not sure about the USA). This is meant to increase field of vision and to avoid blind spots. Volvo has a sensor on the C30 which alerts you when a car is in your blind spot. BMW is developing one I think.

If there was a way to adjust mirrors without compromising vision would anyone bother with curved mirrors and blind spot sensors, my answer is NO.

If you don't like the curved mirrors then may be you would like this new technology, the mirror does the job for you.

http://www.lanefx.com/about/index.html

Is it really so difficult to look over your shoulder ?

Merging in heavy traffic, yes it can be.

Its is the number 1 thing I miss from my passat (I had OEM blindspot mirrors).

Yeah, you can adjust your mirrors and look over your shoulders and get close, but its not the same.

Volvo has a sensor on the C30 which alerts you when a car is in your blind spot. BMW is developing one I think.

If there was a way to adjust mirrors without compromising vision would anyone bother with curved mirrors and blind spot sensors, my answer is NO.

Have you tried adjusting your mirrors as suggested? If not you speak from inexperience. It works.

The Volvo sensor is idiocy. Adjust your mirrors or turn your stupid head. The convex mirror was an early attempt to do what the that stupid sensor is supposed to do -- help lazy drivers. They want to do anything but pay attention to what they are doing while behind the wheel.

The convex mirror is a simple solution to poor informed drivers. If it works, why bother with a stupid sensor? Just more complexity and weight making vehicles bigger and heavier.

Is it really so difficult to look over your shoulder ?

Well, I would rather look at a little mirror to the side than phsysically turn my head and shoulders. Turning around and almost facing the opposite direction that you are driving isn't exactly the most safe/comfortable technique.

I think I might swing by the store today to pick up some BS mirrors. I haven't used them in a while. I'll give em a whirl on the Legacy.

Here in SoCal we have bikers lane splitting at 45+mph. We NEED to look straight back farther than the center mounted mirror will allow us to see.

If you live in a similar environment you cannot use the method most of you are referring to.

In my WRX I had the best of both worlds and no blind spots. I used a broadway mirror along with the Autobahn mirror. The Autobahn mirror was glued to the drivers door just where the triangle is (interior side of the outside mirror) w/zero vibration and looked good. With a quick glance all can be seen.

I just received my Autobahn mirror from Griots Garage but the only reason I haven't reused the Broadway is that I'm too used to the homelink buttons.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Drew_Jones/Misc/IMG_2101.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Lane splitting is for bikers with a death wish. I gave it up at 18 when I nearly hit a guy on I-95 in a traffic jam (I was going about 15 mph) when a he threw open his door, put two feet out of the car with a mouth full of tooth paste. His look of sheer terror with the mouth full of tooth paste was priceless. Missed hitting him by about 3 feet.

Well, I would rather look at a little mirror to the side than phsysically turn my head and shoulders. Turning around and almost facing the opposite direction that you are driving isn't exactly the most safe/comfortable technique.

I think I might swing by the store today to pick up some BS mirrors. I haven't used them in a while. I'll give em a whirl on the Legacy.

You've never ridden a bike have you :rolleyes:

Have one on the drivers side mirror in every car at our house and every car we've ever had. didnt have a car this fall so i was driving in my girlfriends 325i a lot i went and got her a fisheye for her driver side mirror. she loves it. When your on the highway its so much safer.

Have one on the drivers side mirror in every car at our house and every car we've ever had. didnt have a car this fall so i was driving in my girlfriends 325i a lot i went and got her a fisheye for her driver side mirror. she loves it. When your on the highway its so much safer.

Read the thread and learn how to adjust mirrors. Much safer then the stupid "blind spot" thingys.

Read the thread and learn how to adjust mirrors. Much safer then the stupid "blind spot" thingys.

Jeez....Unc, they are not that ugly..

I look at it as just an extra mirror to keep you safer.

Technically, we don't really need a mirror at all on the passenger side, but it is nice to have and comes standard on all new cars now (I remember in the 80's not a lot of cars had passenger side mirrors) Maybe one day..the blindspot mirror will become a standard too. :)

I also learned to adjust my mirrors years ago so that I do not see the side of my car. If I want to change lanes I glance at the side mirror and at the same time I can see further toward the side and what is in front of me by my peripheral vision.

If you aren't used to using your peripheral vision, it takes a little while to get comfortable using. If you work at it hard enough you can pay attention to what is at the left and right corner of your vision without actually focusing your eyes to that area.

Archived