LegacyGT.com

Subaru Sales Slump, December and Year

Beanboy

Well they have the Justy overseas, but just like other models, it is smaller than the competition like the Fit, Versa, Yaris, etc... 1L 3-cylinder with 70HP won't cut it in the US. For example, the Yaris is 8" longer than the Justy. Fit is 13" longer, Versa is like 3 feet longer, hehe... Wheelbase and width is also down versus the competition, but not by much.

All of them also have at least 35HP+ over the Justy as well.

The Yaris and Justy do share the same engine (not sure if our Yaris engine is optional or not) overseas, I guess it is Toyota-sourced.

No matter what the details, Subaru would need to at least offer another engine for the US market Justy, and it would stick out as being one of if not the smallest car offered in the US, along with not sharing AWD with other models. Not sure if Subaru America could pull it off.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru does have a Impreza 1.5R, 105 hp/105 ft-lbs. That would be a good engine to go into a subcompact. Supposely 1.5R gets 25/37 with AWD but from all account it's painfully slow. The 1.5l engine with Toyota's hybrid drive train would probably make a good combo in an Impreza 1.5h...

Subaru does have a Impreza 1.5R, 105 hp/105 ft-lbs. That would be a good engine to go into a subcompact. Supposely 1.5R gets 25/37 with AWD but from all account it's painfully slow. The 1.5l engine with Toyota's hybrid drive train would probably make a good combo in an Impreza 1.5h...

Would be nice, but then there wouldn't be a trunk at all.

Though I guess the original Toyota Prius had a smaller battery pack and thus there was some cargo room. I'd prolly hit it and use my Legacy to tote stuff around in.

That flat 4 1.5L would make a neat hybrid. Wonder if a complete hybrid "box" could be created.

Integrate electric motor into the rear diff housing, along with controller and batteries off to the side where there is kinda-sorta space on the Subaru chassis. Would make for an easy install across the Subaru lineup, and wouldn't have to deal with finding space under the hood.

That flat 4 1.5L would make a neat hybrid. Wonder if a complete hybrid "box" could be created.

And 105 hp you say from the 1.5L? Throw a 40 hp electric motor in there and we are talkin 145 hp. Not too shabby. And I think most everyone on this forum knows about my passion for the instantneous, high torquing, wheel spinning electric motors. :)

If you look at any manufacturer, they have had problems with their engines. Short of the stutter on the turbo engine I think 2.5L boxer is solid, well know, loved, and very stout.

In terms of fit and finish I love my '08 LGT! I would like to see a few little options in them, auto up windows, be able to switch dual climate control to one dial, blue tooth, but none of these things really detract from the overall feel of the car and why I really bought the thing.

Some of my friends make fun of me that I am old and responsible now that I have a sedan, especially a Subaru Legacy, coming from sport cars, 4x4s, and a motorcycle being my main ride dry weather. That is till they get a ride in the Legacy, or just even see it. I really look forward to driving this car, even take it out over the motorcycle.

One thing that I really love about the Legacy is its size. Man its perfect. Don't kid yourself, this is a big sedan, maybe not big compared to the new gargantuan Accord, way too big Camry, or huge Avalon, but big compared to what cars were a decade ago. If you think that Legacy is small, spend a few days in Europe. VW Rabbit is a big car over there! My mom has a '07 Accord, my buddy has a '07 MazdaSpeed 6, and in my opinion their interiors are not better, not by a long shot.

LGT weighs in at about 3300 lbs. That is fairly light for a AWD, turbo, 4-door sedan. In fact its on par and less than some 350Z models. I think that consumers are looking at bigger and bigger vehicles as a show of value. Some do need that, but most really do not. How often do we ferry around 4-5 people in our cars? If the local roads are the judge of that, than its once in a blue moon. My most economical ride (besides the bike) has been a '91 CRX, with a built B18! That thing was FAST, handled like a go cart, and got close to 40MPG on the freeway when you took it easy. It mush have weighed no more than 1800lbs. So the bigger the car, the more it weighs, more horsepower you need to make it accelerate at a decant clip. All that horsepower needs a lot of gas. Bigger is not better in every case, so I really feel like this obsession with big automobiles and trucks is overrated. In the end you just pay for it at the gas pump. If they can do anything to the 2010 Legacy is refine it, and not move it to the Tribeca platform. But the sad state of affair is everyone is doing it, so Subaru will follow as well, instead of innovate.

I would probably end up with a nice used G35 6-speed coupe. I'd like a G37, but no-way I can afford a 6-speed sport package, even if I got a big insurance payoff for my Legacy's value.

Or I might go with a smaller, cheaper car with no debt implication, and save for something nicer in the nearer future. (maybe a late-production 2.5RS coupe with an STI 2.5 turbo swap...)

Looks like you have the same tastes in cars that I do. I recently sold my G35 Coupe 6-sp sport pacakge and bought the '05 Legacy GT limited wagon 5MT. I needed more room since I was continually hauling stuff to my place in Vermont in winter. I also have a '99 10AE Miata.

The G35 was an awesome ride, I'm sure the G37 is even better.

One thing that I really love about the Legacy is its size. Man its perfect. Don't kid yourself, this is a big sedan, maybe not big compared to the new gargantuan Accord, way too big Camry, or huge Avalon, but big compared to what cars were a decade ago.

Impreza is now almost the same size as the Legacy though. Certainly not enough difference for somebody to choose the Legacy over the Impreza.

As far as the exterior goes the Impreza is wider, taller and has the same track in front and wider track in the rear versus the Legacy.

Interior-wise, Impreza has more front headroom, rear headroom, front shoulder room, front hip room and rear hip room versus the Legacy.

This is comparing 2008 2.5i models with numbers from MSN autos.

The Legacy doesn't have to be a full-size car, it just needs to be decently larger than Civics, Imprezas, Sentras, etc., something it isn't currently.

One thing that I really love about the Legacy is its size. Man its perfect.

:whore:

I certainly have to agree with this comment, of all the cars I've driven (since buying my original 05' GT), I've yet to find one that feels "just right" like the Legacy.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat concerned with Subaru's general direction as of late... especially after some of the reactions i've witnessed regarding this years Impreza. While Subaru's cars aren't generally considered some of the more attractive on the road (frumpy but loveable), some of the recent design choices make me go :confused:

Rather then all the "status quo" redesigns, I personally think incremental improvements to the existing lineup make more sense... but then again perhaps thats why I'm not in the automotive industry. At the very least I think some very minor issues (paint quality improvements, more durable interior materials, etc.) would help sway some of the on-the-fence buyers that i've spoken with.

I'm somewhat concerned with Subaru's general direction as of late... especially after some of the reactions i've witnessed regarding this years Impreza. While Subaru's cars aren't generally considered some of the more attractive on the road (frumpy but loveable), some of the recent design choices make me go :confused:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/foz_chop.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^ :wub:

Looks like you have the same tastes in cars that I do. I recently sold my G35 Coupe 6-sp sport pacakge and bought the '05 Legacy GT limited wagon 5MT. I needed more room since I was continually hauling stuff to my place in Vermont in winter. I also have a '99 10AE Miata.

The G35 was an awesome ride, I'm sure the G37 is even better.

Yep, I noticed your handle the other day. Right up my alley.

I badly want to modify a 2nd Gen MR2, as well, although I haven't had experience with that one yet. I would love to put a turbo boxer and longitudinal transaxle (like FWD-only subie gearbox, but mid-engine/RWD...) into a nicely, subtly finished 2nd-gen MR2 t-roof...

My wife and I looked at a couple of 10AE miatas, and '01 BRG Special Editions, and I wouldn't mind trading up to an 04-05 Mazdaspeed Miata with Flyin' Miata upgrades. But our 99 classic red PEP with torsen and a 5-speed does just fine. (black interior and top, but all options short of 10AE's 6-speed and specific bits.)

and I would love to have a sport coupe, like the G35/G37 for a daily driver. So many cars, so little cash. :(

But I Subaru still had better pick up their game to get a future new-car sale from me. There are too many other attractive new and used sporty cars, and I tend to try to be brand loyal to an extent, if I believe in the product line, but my eye is caught by anything that looks fun and well designed and built.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/foz_chop.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^ :wub:

Indeed, that is quite an attractive picture, certainly much better then what i've seen come out of their designs since the newer Legacy's made their debut. Somehow the roofline seems a littler high (perhaps it's the angle), but the rest is gorgeous.

As long as we don't get anymore Hondyota WRX's, and "face only a mother could love" Tribeca's...oh and leave my beloved Legacy alone!

:soap_box:

Impreza is now almost the same size as the Legacy though. Certainly not enough difference for somebody to choose the Legacy over the Impreza.

As far as the exterior goes the Impreza is wider, taller and has the same track in front and wider track in the rear versus the Legacy.

Interior-wise, Impreza has more front headroom, rear headroom, front shoulder room, front hip room and rear hip room versus the Legacy.

This is comparing 2008 2.5i models with numbers from MSN autos.

The Legacy doesn't have to be a full-size car, it just needs to be decently larger than Civics, Imprezas, Sentras, etc., something it isn't currently.

Oh I know! I think its sad really. Bigger usually means heavier if you want any sort of rigiditiy from the chasis. There was nothing wrong with Impreza's old size, but like I said before, everyone is doing it, so Subaru follows suit. Do you really need an Legacy sized Impreza? I really don't thik so. Its just a dumb trend. So that is why I love my Legacy's size. Even she is bigger that I really need at the moment, but will have a family one day, so the room will come in useful than.

I know that, based on EPA interior volumes, the new Impreza is actually larger inside than the Legacy sedan. Despite that knowledge, I was still surprised at how roomy the new Imprezas are in person. I sat in the new STI as was amazed at the amount of rear seat legroom, despite having the front seat moved back to my normal driving position. The five-door body style manages to get midsized interior volumes (94 + 19 = 113 cubic feet) in a compact package (173 inches total length). Plus, that grey alcantara/black leather interior actually looks like it belongs on a $35-40K car. My wife even liked the new STI.

I have to agree with several of the comments before me. If my 08 LGT was totaled or otherwise had to go, I don't think I would buy another one.

I think my 06 was better put together. For a Japanese car maker to put a $32,000 car on the lot that has had the following quirks:

- Occasional wheel bearing squeel (my 06 mostly but my 08 has done it twice)

- Dash rattles

- sunroof rattle

- Over-sensitive Tire pressire monitoring system

- occasional stutter

- clunks and pops from the front suspension

- slamming 3rd gear shift

.. it really makes me wonder, can their quality control and testing be that piss poor? Don't get me wrong everytime I look at my chiseled, DGM LGT I smile but looks only get you so far...

I have a daily driver, an 04 Crown Victoria P71 with 66k miles and its as tight and quiet as can be.

... I think my 06 was better put together. For a Japanese car maker to put a $32,000 car on the lot that has had the following quirks:

- Occasional wheel bearing squeel (my 06 mostly but my 08 has done it twice)

- Dash rattles

- sunroof rattle

- Over-sensitive Tire pressire monitoring system

- occasional stutter

- clunks and pops from the front suspension

- slamming 3rd gear shift

.. it really makes me wonder, can their quality control and testing be that piss poor? Don't get me wrong everytime I look at my chiseled, DGM LGT I smile but looks only get you so far...

I think this is where you get the variability in manufacturing. From my perspective and from what I've read about prior years, most of the issues above have been improved as the years have gone by.

• I have had no problems with my wheel bearings <knock wood>.
  • I have no dash rattles (or elsewhere) whatsoever.
  • My sunrrof annoys because it stops halfway when closing, but this is a "safety feature" not a defect in manufacture.
  • TPMS has gone off when it was extremely cold, but no other times, and I had the same problem with my wife's (non-Subaru) car.
  • Stutter - I agree, but I will be fixing that next week with an AP. It really was/is no problem except at WOT.
  • Suspension clunks were not a problem when I was stock - though I did have a problem after adding Cobb Sways (fixed with a simple retightening a week after install).
  • I don't have any problem in 3rd gear -- getting the car into reverse sometimes requires double-clutching, but that happens with no synchros...

My only real beef is how slow the windows go up - when they are that slow, there might as well be an auto-up availability.

My $0.02...

Archived