LegacyGT.com

RalliTEK Lowering Springs - In Depth Review

sirsimon

Hey Sean, installed the springs today and so far so good. now clunking. one quick question though:

the piece of metal that fits between the rubber cushion and under the top hat, that piece has a portion that sticks down. do i face that towards the inside of the car or face away from the car? i just want to be 100% before i take it to get it aligned.

thanks

Front or rear? I am not sure what you mean. Can you post a pic?

Sean S.

http://www.RalliTEK.com

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Same thing with me. when i first installed it, I had no issues what so ever (followed the factory service manual and looked at the pics on rallitek really closely).

now when i come out of my drive way where it dips down a bit, once my front wheels are on the street, the moment the rear tires comes down the front clunks EVERY TIME.

rechecked/retorqued everything and still clunks....

any guesses sean?

I have clunking issues on my wagon with spec b struts on it. At first I figured it was the endlinks so I bought the rallitek hd endlinks... still have clunking. I have even taken my front suspension off and double checked the install to make sure that it was correct! The noise is starting to get annoying.

I have clunking issues on my wagon with spec b struts on it. At first I figured it was the endlinks so I bought the rallitek hd endlinks... still have clunking. I have even taken my front suspension off and double checked the install to make sure that it was correct! The noise is starting to get annoying.

Same thing with me. I installed twice myself (first time without the FSM, the 2nd time with). still clunking. Took it to a local shop had them taken everything apart including my sway bars and endlinks. 500 dollars later they told me i installed everything fine....but still clunking.

so far i have put 200 into alignment 500 dollars at a shop and probably 10 hours of my time. :rolleyes:

These are great springs, but it appears it's normal for them to clunk. I am guessing there was a slight change in the angle of one of the coils between batches.

For the fix see my post here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2543434&postcount=100

Let me know if you have questions... I will continue to monitor this thread and help where I can. Sean/Ron, if you need me to bring my car down during lunch so you can see what I did just let me know.

Richard

These are great springs, but it appears it's normal for them to clunk. I am guessing there was a slight change in the angle of one of the coils between batches.

For the fix see my post here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2543434&postcount=100

Let me know if you have questions... I will continue to monitor this thread and help where I can. Sean/Ron, if you need me to bring my car down during lunch so you can see what I did just let me know.

Richard

What kind of 1/2 inch hose u used?

Thanks

I used the rallitek springs on my stock bilstein USDM struts with no clunking.

Under what conditions are you guys clunking? Turning? Speedbumps? Highway speed dips in road? Potholes? Railroad tracks? Hard braking? Hard turning?

Under what conditions are you guys clunking? Turning? Speedbumps? Highway speed dips in road? Potholes? Railroad tracks? Hard braking? Hard turning?

+1 to no clunking on my usdm bilsteins with ralliteks. I also am a hack installer and forgot to put that rubber/plastic hose from the stock springs onto the new springs.

Richard

Richard,

Klunking is not normal. Please bring the car down when you can. Call me ahead of time to be sure I am here. Our springs are made by Eibach and we have never had any quality issues. I would like to get this figured out ASAP.

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

503.257.7500 x224

I hear clunking whenever i go over a bump with one of the front wheel and then the 2nd front wheel follow. i'm not sure if that makes sense.

so if i were to come down from my drive way where the end of the drive way has a little curb. i turn right so my drive side tire touches the ground, the moment the passenger tire touches the ground it clunks pretty hard. i'm reminded by this everyday when i drive out of my drive way

@red_suby - I just used some vac line we had at the shop.

@sean - How long do you need the car? If I have to I can drop it off and drive your STI back downtown. ;) I would love for you guys to figure this out, even if it is a bunch of us doing something wrong. I'll take the heat if it is something I did wrong so we can all learn and get it fixed.

@wpmarky - Mine clunked over large bumps like speed bumps and stuff that would cause the shock to move a long distance quickly.

I installed a set about 2 weeks ago and took the car to Oregon Trail rally. I have had no clunking of noise whatsoever.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this. Aside from this forum no one has mentioned any noise to us.

Sean S.

We are going to need to know what you replaced when doing the install and what was re-used. The tools used for the install and if any modifications were made to the car to complete the installation. Also, any and all pictures of the the install either during and most definitely after install.

Ron

Sean and Ron...I'm really sorry I never posted pics. I want to take pics with the struts off the car in hand and do a step by step install with all the proper tools including the spring compressor. Only thing I still need are my damn Koni strut inserts that have been on backorder from Shox.com for the last month....:mad:
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

@wpmarky - Mine clunked over large bumps like speed bumps and stuff that would cause the shock to move a long distance quickly.

If you're going at a decent speed, this sounds like you're hitting the bump stops (normal). When you say a long distance quickly, is it clunking when the springs are fully compressed? Or is it during rebound? You could try the bump stop mod if you need/want more strut travel. How many miles on those struts?

I hear clunking whenever i go over a bump with one of the front wheel and then the 2nd front wheel follow. i'm not sure if that makes sense.

This sounds like a loose sway bar. Try to re-tighten the endlinks & sway bar mounts.

I am having the same issues as described above. I even took my struts apart and put them back together hoping that it wasn't seated properly. Still had the noise so I figured it was the endlinks. Replaced those with rallitek HD's and now I still have the noise.

Basically any time that there is compression of the suspension I am getting a clunking/clicking noise. I may try to get an audio recording of the noise to help better diagnose.

• 2 weeks later...

Springs can't cause clunks, they are tight in the strut. There is no design issue or production variance. We have double checked everything at our end. We have installed several sets in recently with no noise whatsoever. The springs are made by Eibach to our spring rates. Eibach has been informed of the concerns on this forum and has found no issues with the springs. There are hundreds of cars running these springs. We have had no one locally with noise. We welcome any answers on these noises. We are also willing to inspect and diagnose anyone's vehicle at no charge if you can get to us in Portland, OR.

Sean S.

I am having the same issues as described above. I even took my struts apart and put them back together hoping that it wasn't seated properly. Still had the noise so I figured it was the endlinks. Replaced those with rallitek HD's and now I still have the noise.

Basically any time that there is compression of the suspension I am getting a clunking/clicking noise. I may try to get an audio recording of the noise to help better diagnose.

Please let us know what you find!

Thank you,

Sean S.

Archived