LegacyGT.com

06 Acura RL Old man car??

Old man car??? :lol: I imagine it is not very sporty,

I am sure the AWD will be as good as the LGT...

Dude, the RL is the sleeper car of the century. Especially if it's the SH (Super Handling) AWD version which is fast and sticky as hell.

Fit and Finish is much better than the legacy. As long as you can live with a few random idiots calling it an "old man car" during your future ownership...but, remember people also call the Cadillac CTS-V an "old man car."

I'd get the RL.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, the RL is the sleeper car of the century. Especially if it's the SH (Super Handling) AWD version which is fast and sticky as hell.

Fit and Finish is much better than the legacy. As long as you can live with a few random idiots calling it an "old man car" during your future ownership...but, remember people also call the Cadillac CTS-V an "old man car."

I'd get the RL.

That CTS-V is not your father's Caddy. 400hp 6sp stick shift.:p

Not to jack but since we are on Caddys. I really like the looks of the STS-V as well.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

So my lease is up soon on my 05LGT. Drove the new spec B. Also, saw an used 06 RL for a very good price. Haven't driven it yet, but what are you thoughts?? Not really a direct competitor to the LGT..

Old man car??? :lol: I imagine it is not very sporty, but must be very quiet and smooth. I am debating over going to test dive it or not.... I am sure the AWD will be as good as the LGT...

Anyone drive the RL? What were your thoughts?

My father drove the 2006 rl, I was in the passanger seat. Major whiplash. I loved it. It is very smooth, acura quiet- transmission- very solid. Insane power, but sure enough the only thing is the lack of agility- body roll. Yes, even with all the power I suppose it still is a "sleeper" no matter what. Yet- in a way that is why I like it- low key, unassuming you don't have to be be galked at or invited to 'beat' someone while driving. The interior is immaculate- just check out the dash, and the quality. A family member has a '96 in mint condition it is literally like brand new- I've always admired the car. Personally, I liked the security of the large structure as in an outback. Try it and please share how you like it;). Perhaps you can add some basic handling mods and it you will have a pretty rare ride!:)

My father drove the 2006 rl, I was in the passanger seat. Major whiplash. I loved it. It is very smooth, acura quiet- transmission- very solid. Insane power, but sure enough the only thing is the lack of agility- body roll. Yes, even with all the power I suppose it still is a "sleeper" no matter what. Yet- in a way that is why I like it- low key, unassuming you don't have to be be galked at or invited to 'beat' someone while driving. The interior is immaculate- just check out the dash, and the quality. A family member has a '96 in mint condition it is literally like brand new- I've always admired the car. Personally, I liked the security of the large structure as in an outback. Try it and please share how you like it;). Perhaps you can add some basic handling mods and it you will have a pretty rare ride!:)

Thanks for all the feedback. I did drive the RL and didn't like it. It was very Acura quiet and smooth. I love Acuras for that reason, but the RL just isn't sporty enough. The transmission is too smooth. I have no idea what was going on.. :lol: I am used to manual and I can see myself going to Auto eventually, but not that Auto. The TL auto is a great compromise, smooth, but still involves the driver. Also, it handled well for a "luxury" car but it didn't handle well enough. Again, TL handles great, sprorty enough, but still is smoother than the LGT by far.

I really see myself going to a more refined smoother car than the LGT but I dont' want to give up all the handling and performance. The performance is nice in the LGT, but realistically, in everyday driving I feel you use the luxury side of things more. I am reminded of what my Italian friend says all the time. He came here from Italy about 5 years ago. He always says he doesn't understand why all us Americans are crazy about handling, and performance etc when we can't use them on everyday roads. He complains the speed limit is way too low on our roads so why have a "fast great handling car" if you can't use it. It's actually more annoying to have a fast car and be stuck going only slightly higher than the speed limit... :) I tend to agree with him. The LGT is almost too fast sometimes and just ends up annoyoing me. I woudl give up SOME speed for comfort, but not as much as the RL gives up.

Anyway, still waiting for my AWD TL... :lol: I'll either lease a spec B in the mean time, or buy my car. I am also going to look at the 3 series since that car is a great combo of comfort and perfromance but a bit slow (328xi coupe or sedan). It will be interesting to drive the 328 again after owning my car. I am sure it will seem slow, but not sure how slow. I just HATE the snobby factor that goes with those 3 letters... Also, German cars not as reliable to say the least...

I was about to say, head over to Automaster and check out a 3 series. As long as you are leasing it, or dont intend to own the car outside of its warranty, go with the 3 series. And yes the snob factor blows

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I was about to say, head over to Automaster and check out a 3 series. As long as you are leasing it, or dont intend to own the car outside of its warranty, go with the 3 series. And yes the snob factor blows

Meh. My pop's 3 has a crappy quality interior and the agressive stance of the wheels wear out the tires every 15,000 miles. He can't wait for his lease to expire. Though it is a fun car to drive.

Anyway, still waiting for my AWD TL... :lol: I'll either lease a spec B in the mean time, or buy my car. I am also going to look at the 3 series since that car is a great combo of comfort and perfromance but a bit slow (328xi coupe or sedan). It will be interesting to drive the 328 again after owning my car. I am sure it will seem slow, but not sure how slow. I just HATE the snobby factor that goes with those 3 letters... Also, German cars not as reliable to say the least...

I don't recall if you mentioned it earlier in this thread, but is there a reason you're not considering the Infiniti G35x? It's AWD, roomy, and sporty.

RL's are very nice, especially with SH-AWD. Riding in it makes you feel rich as hell. It has plenty of creature comforts to go around. To such an extent you wont car what the people around you are driving.

I personally like the Anime Mecha exterior lines of the RL. No question the interior is bliss.

Old man car? Nope. High Roller car for sure. Or at least it will make you feel like one.

They are out of my price range for now, but that hasnt stopped me from test driving them :)

I don't recall if you mentioned it earlier in this thread, but is there a reason you're not considering the Infiniti G35x? It's AWD, roomy, and sporty.

Yes, actually the g35x is on my list. It has two problems though.

1. No fold down rear seats. I don't have them now and I kinda miss them.

2. No infiniti dealer in Vermont anymore!!!!!!!!! I'd have to drice to NH or NY. If I have warranty issues that is a large pain! We used to have Infiniti. You think we would have one considering their high number of AWD cars.

RL's are very nice, especially with SH-AWD. Riding in it makes you feel rich as hell. It has plenty of creature comforts to go around. To such an extent you wont car what the people around you are driving.

I personally like the Anime Mecha exterior lines of the RL. No question the interior is bliss.

Old man car? Nope. High Roller car for sure. Or at least it will make you feel like one.

They are out of my price range for now, but that hasnt stopped me from test driving them :)

Thanks for the feedback, but not my kinda car. I don't need a car to make me feel good about myself :lol: It's not me. :)

Yes, I already spoke with a guy at Automaster but haven't driven one yet. It takes 3 months to get a 3 series if they have to order it. I better go soon.

I also hate the way you pay for every option. I know it drives nice though.. I drove an 05 when I was looking at my LGT. Very smooth car.

I guess they dont' make the perfect car for me ;)

Yes, I already spoke with a guy at Automaster but haven't driven one yet. It takes 3 months to get a 3 series if they have to order it. I better go soon.

I also hate the way you pay for every option. I know it drives nice though.. I drove an 05 when I was looking at my LGT. Very smooth car.

I guess they don't make the perfect car for me ;)

As far as the Acura, it looks like an Accord in my opinion. Have you looked at the Saab 9-5 Aero, that things a rocket. Even the Volvo S60 T5 is an awesome car.

I cant believe that the g35 doesnt have folding rears, thats pretty surprising

I know I was surprised as well. I only read about the non-fold seats so maybe that's not true. I find some of the car mags don't get their facts straight. I'll go test drive it soon and find out for sure.

Maybe they charge extra like the germans do?

I know I can't believe the 3 series has an option of a fold down rear seat. Seems stupid to me. I am actually thinking of looking at the 3 series coupe since it comes with the fold down rear seats and is a little lighter with 17 inch wheels standard. I still can't get over 37k starting without any other options (no power seats, no self dimming mirrors, no leather... :lol:) Amazing.

If Subie would just fix some of their build problems it would be the perfect car for sure.. Make the Spec B as tight as an Acura even at the expense of a few pounds, and I am SOLD...

Guest heightsgtltd

It's somewhat promising that SOA has been sending out those questionnaires that ask about more power, more tech features etc.

My only concern is that methodologically, a large number of current owners besides us may rank these improvements lower on priority, while potential customers (cross-shopping Audi, Infiniti, etc.) who do really want them and would pay for them are not being surveyed :spin:

It's somewhat promising that SOA has been sending out those questionnaires that ask about more power, more tech features etc.

My only concern is that methodologically, a large number of current owners besides us may rank these improvements lower on priority, while potential customers (cross-shopping Audi, Infiniti, etc.) who do really want them and would pay for them are not being surveyed :spin:

Good point!!! The SOA guys just need to go drive a 3 series, an Acura, and compare. That is if they are serious about competing in the "luxury market".

Archived