LegacyGT.com

Clutch Failure Pattern

PaulFWMotorsports

SeanP brought his car in two days ago with no clutch.

43k miles on factory clutch.

As you can see, the pressure plate failed.

Luckily for SeanP, the fragments did not destroy the tranny case or engine block.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/dbtuned/Subaru/100_5631.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/dbtuned/Subaru/100_5632.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/dbtuned/Subaru/100_5633.jpg

WOW, just WOW!

Looks like the hogshead out of my cousin's LS1 camaro (he split it in half hard shifting 2nd on slightly wet roads).

What did you replace it with?

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Mine started slipping at just after 36K and steadily went downhill for about 4 months and 4000 miles and looked pretty much just like that one exept the pressure plate didn't shatter. I pretty much put my first clutch out of my misery at the dragstrip in Sept. I felt it slip above 5K RPMs on the first run, 4K on the second run and just completely let go on the 1-2 shift of run 3. I just let it cool down for about an hour and it drove 40 miles home and made it another 3 weeks before I got it in to the shop. I personally think the pressure plate is to blame. My OE clutch never did hook up tight on high RPM take-offs or Hi-R downshifts even when it was new.

Mine faded pretty steadily over a few month period. Starts out with some slippage in 5th and then it will fail to hook up when shifting up or down at high RPMs and glaze everything real nice. Then it gets a little jerky/grabby and shortly thereafter it starts feeling like the clutch is in slow motion off the line cause it just won't clamp like it should. Then pretty soon you'll go to shift from first to second and it will redline, you go for third and redline again and end up limping away in fourth. I've had dozens of clutches so I knew it was on it's way out early and just took it easy until I could get everything together for the new clutch/fw

Let's kick this pig!

Thanks for getting the new clutch in so quickly Paul! Hope you enjoy the wine :)

I have hated this clutch since day one. I noticed it slipping shifting into 3rd pretty good over the last two months. It was a wet night and I got a little wheel spin which turned into some clutch spin, shifted to 2nd, more clutch slip and then boom. I have never launched this car hard, but man, that's some nasty carnage right there.

My jeep friends are very proud :)

T

I have hated this clutch since day one. I noticed it slipping shifting into 3rd pretty good over the last two months. It was a wet night and I got a little wheel spin which turned into some clutch spin, shifted to 2nd, more clutch slip and then boom. I have never launched this car hard, but man, that's some nasty carnage right there. :)

I wonder if I am not seeing this with my car. Got stuck in snow, 1st gave me weheel spin, so I tried to get the car moving in 2nd. Smoke comes out of the engine compartment. And to this day every time I drive the car, i feel the damn smoke. It is not however slipping out of 5th during the load / acceleration test. But still smells strong like something is still heating up.

ok im not driving my car anymore. I hear weird noises and cant floor it in any gear without it cutting out it feels like. If this is indicative of what is happening in my trans i better not push my luck anymore.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

My pressure plate used to skip on and off the clutch disc in boost and it would kinda feel like you hit an ice patch on the road (during summer). The RPMs would would bounce up and down and the car would feel like it had wheel hop. Once the clutch starts going; it's a pretty quick steady downhill slipfest to the end.

I would seriously suggest that you don't actually drive it until it breaks if you can afford not to. Just start collecting parts and take it easy until you can get it changed out. If you drive it until it fails; you stand a much greater chance of blowing a hole in your bell housing with broken clutch chunks or even damaging the input shaft on the tranny.

Let's kick this pig!

I wonder if I am not seeing this with my car. Got stuck in snow, 1st gave me weheel spin, so I tried to get the car moving in 2nd. Smoke comes out of the engine compartment. And to this day every time I drive the car, i feel the damn smoke. It is not however slipping out of 5th during the load / acceleration test. But still smells strong like something is still heating up.

I think most of us have smoked our clutch at one time or another. I wouldn't worry because usually we just leave a little glaze on the flywheel which "heals" itself after a bit. The stink does stay around for a while. I turned my heater on yesterday and the stink was still in the system. yuck.

On a related note, the car feels completely different now. I had Paul install the shifter bushings, STS and STI tranny mount that I have had in the boxes for two years (yes it takes me a while to get things done :p ). I am not sure if I really like the STS yet, but everything is more solid. The WRX clutch and SMF flywheel has a much better feel than the LGT DMF. I can modulate it better, albeit differently.

ok im not driving my car anymore. I hear weird noises and cant floor it in any gear without it cutting out it feels like. If this is indicative of what is happening in my trans i better not push my luck anymore.

I would not worry that your clutch looks like mine. Mine is the result of a pretty loud bang and my clutch pedal immediately fell to the floor with no pressure. You will "know" if this happened, believe me. ;)

Archived